Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2002, 06:08 AM   #21
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
NiceWorg, this is one of those rare occasions where popular culture is actualy correct about something. LoTR, the books, are some of the best I've read. They are therefore popular. The films are probably the best book conversions ever done, and fantastic. So they are even more popular. You say you like to search for "hidden gems", but why would you want to miss the obvious ones while your at it?

See the film or not. I would recommend it, but at the end of the day its your loss.
Yes yes, itīs my "loss", if thatīs what you want to call it. Maybe I buy weights for that ticket money instead... and live a healthier life. Ha ha..

And most probably Iīm going to see it anyway, not in a movie theatre, but in peace and quietness after some years.

[ 12-18-2002, 06:11 AM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]
Old 12-18-2002, 06:12 AM   #22
Davros
Takhisis Follower

LOL - interesting points of view NW, so in movie terms (to stay on topic here), could I sum things up by suggesting you are "Rebel without a clause" - or the "Easy Derider" - or perhaps "A Fish that's Blonder"

Hmmmmm, I am drowning here - I think I better use "the forks" - help me Obi Wan, I am out of my depth.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:28 AM   #23
Grungi
Banned User

is it just me (mainly cos i read all the tolkien books many times over) but do people get a sort of lump in their throat (best description i can think of) watching lotr? only film apart from possibly starwars to have that effect on me, actually that feeling you get when you drive over bumps in the road at speed [img]tongue.gif[/img] you know the one i mean? a sort of body way of saying "wow this is it"

obviously i love these films and cannot wait for the 2nd
Old 12-18-2002, 06:28 AM   #24
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
LOL - interesting points of view NW, so in movie terms (to stay on topic here), could I sum things up by suggesting you are "Rebel without a clause" - or the "Easy Derider" - or perhaps "A Fish that's Blonder"

Hmmmmm, I am drowning here - I think I better use "the forks" - help me Obi Wan, I am out of my depth.
Thatīs so nice from you.. hope you didnīt get offended badly. I didnīt mean to hurt your feelings..

Yea I like to read what people have to say.. sometimes. But since I know no one personally, their opinions are just their opinions.

[ 12-18-2002, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]
Old 12-18-2002, 06:37 AM   #25
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by NiceWorg:
Thatīs so nice from you.. hope you didnīt get offended badly. I didnīt mean to hurt your feelings..

Not at all ole chap - I saw the smiley, so I could tell you was jus funnin [img]smile.gif[/img]

Nice edit btw.

In fact I was taking a humourous moment to assert that in this thread you seemed to be intent on disagreeing with everyone. I may be the first to do it in movie titles, but I don't seem to be the first.

Hope you enjoy the movie when you get to see it though. You will probably find this GD board flooded with "opinions" from those who have seen the movie over the coming months. I look forward to hearing your thoughts when that moment finally comes about.

[ 12-18-2002, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Davros ]
Old 12-18-2002, 07:19 AM   #26
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I too have a dislike for things which are 'popular' and can empathise with NiceWorg's POV. Well, not so much a dislike, rather a weariness of hype which the pop culture (whether music, film, games, whatever) breeds. We humans are a funny lot and can take a relatively sublime product and, with the aid of various mediums, turn it into a tidal wave of hype with the intention of reaching a broader target bracket. This tactic may be successful in lining the coffers of marketing execs but in so doing, isolates the target audience for whom the product was originally intended.

When i first heard about the LotR movies i couldn't wait to see them. I was a big fan of the books and had images in my head of what Tolkien's world was all about. Then, as the time drew nearer, the hype kept building and building to the point where i was worried that, in their attempt to bring middle earth to a new, more visually stimulated audience, the producers would destroy my own concept of what was special about it. Fortunately, this weariness was not wholly deserved, and i enjoyed the film (even with its 'pop' overtones) for what it was: food for the creative mind.

My second gripe with pop is its tendancy to strangle original, innovative products with marketing that is all too effective in swaying people who cannot make up their own minds. It pisses me off that a band with talent and a new/original style can be overshadowed by a bunch of teens who can't play or write music (hell, 90% of the time, they can't even sing) simply because the powers-that-be have decreed that it is 'popular'. In fact, it seems the only way such a band can ever be mildly successful is to employ the same methods used to elevate teen trash to stardom and by doing this, they run the risk of becoming pop themselves. It is a system that is in place solely to make a few people rich and it does so at the expense of variety in taste for everyone else.

Fortunately though, i can breathe easy knowing that the pop behemoth can never truly kill independant music/film/games. Such products are always around, one must simply look a little harder to find them.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 12-18-2002, 08:19 AM   #27
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
quote:

Not at all ole chap - I saw the smiley, so I could tell you was jus funnin [img]smile.gif[/img]

Nice edit btw.

In fact I was taking a humourous moment to assert that in this thread you seemed to be intent on disagreeing with everyone. I may be the first to do it in movie titles, but I don't seem to be the first.

Hope you enjoy the movie when you get to see it though. You will probably find this GD board flooded with "opinions" from those who have seen the movie over the coming months. I look forward to hearing your thoughts when that moment finally comes about.
[/QUOTE]Well you lost me there. I donīt speak english as native language, and didnīt understand a couple of the words you used. So thatīs why the hassle..

Yeah, had to edit a bit as well.

I wonīt be spoiling your fun when the reviews start coming. Not interested... have great fun seeing it. Most probably itīs going to get five stars and an apple anyway.

[ 12-18-2002, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]
Old 12-18-2002, 09:04 AM   #28
Davros
Takhisis Follower

No problems friend - glad that we have straightened things out. I was usings some plays on words with some well known movies (that is well known to English speaking people of my somewhat older generation). Just goes to show that I should never assume my motives are transparent to all. Be seeing you around [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 12-18-2002, 09:45 AM   #29
Madriver
Manshoon

Quote:

---- Sort of. Titanic, Star Wars.. Two Towers was made in about year. LOTR has done nothing to expand possibilites.. itīs just using the fruits that technology has given to us. Iīd imagine making movies the old days would have been behind bigger work. I donīt think that because the book is so popular it would make the movie more ambitious. If the first attempt fails, you can always try it again with different director and actors.----
Not to split hairs, but all three movies were filmed at the same time, so they didn't start last Christmas after they realized the first was a success (which makes the series a groundbreaker in itself). The Third movie is already finished, just some final editing to complete.

LOTR did break ground, in epic scale and technology both.

I agree that some of the greatest film experiences can be had south of the mainstream, but that doesn't mean that some of the "popular movies" aren't good either.

I just saw the movie last night and it is great, even better than the first. The flow and character development (especially Gollum) is intense and the special effects and action sequences are extremely well done. Kudos to Jackson. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2002, 11:08 AM   #30
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Going on Saturday with my fr.. one moment, someone is yelling something my way... what?!
No, I'm not taking my dog to the movies, I actually do have frie.. excuse me?
Fine.. you all believe what you want..