Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2001, 04:51 PM   #31
ArchDruid_V
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I believe spell sequenser (minor or not) is underratter...
You may waste a spell in it but consider the advandage of casting 3 flame arrows at an enemy!

------------------
-=Onyx=-
Old 07-18-2001, 05:31 PM   #32
FallenPaladin
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Throntar:
The same kind of nonsense that allows Cloudkill to be effective against Golems. Golems don't breathe!...and they're not really *alive* in the sense that they have physical processes going on in their bodies, so how can they be poisoned? Just don't get that whole concept...
The acidic vapour erodes the golems body. Yeah, that's it.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:32 PM   #33
Ace Flashheart
Manshoon

There are a lot of summoning spells that people don't seem to use very often like wizards eye and earth elemental that can be invaluble in battles vs mages, also pit fiends while being roadkill for any half decent dragon or equipped fighter can be deadly if their magic resistance holds out. (I used 2 in the first battle with Irenicus and he wasted all his high level spells on them
Old 07-19-2001, 03:26 PM   #34
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Cavern Sniffer:
I lumped Gauths and Beholders together as they are encountered together, Gauths can certainly be silenced as can Dragons as can Beholders, at least this is what the text tells me. Did I say that silence would protect from a Beholder attack.......I think not. Yes incidentally a Beholder can be silenced, did you never talk to the Beholder/Spectator in the Underwater City? This would lead one to assume that they are capable of oral communication. Or perhaps you thought that was all a psychological communication and no exchange of words took place. Would you consider a Dragon as a "low to mid level spellcaster" I wonder....now who is talking nonsense I have to ask myself.
Now, Cavernsniffer, just take a deep breath and relax, please ! This is just a misunderstanding: I probably phrased that a little inadequately but it was never my intention to accuse you of talking nonsense. Rather what I meant to say was that I think that the rules/game engine should not allow "silence" to work against the magic of gauths/beholders which is non-verbal and based on their gazes. What is the easiest proof of that fact is their breathtaking casting speed: if they were to achieve that verbally they would need 7 mouths instead of their seven (?) eyes - lol. But if you are indeed right and "Silence" works on beholders/gauths the ones guilty of "nonsense" would be the game developers and certainly not you who would be merely taking advantage of an illogical gap in the rules. I am not sure but I suppose you are right that the magic of dragons works verbally in the same way as that of human spellcasters and thus it appears logical that dragons should be vulnerable to "silence" and I never questioned that in my earlier post here. What I meant by low- to midlevel spellcasters is very trite: as a second level spell "silence" comes without any penalties for the saving throws of the targets which of course entails that the rate of success against high-level opponents with excellent saving throws has to be rather low. That was also the reason why I suggested that "silence" should be used in conjunction with "Greater Malison". Okay ?

------------------
So long !

R³ - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks

Btw, the cow is queuing in the slaughterhouse right now !

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 07-19-2001).]
Old 07-19-2001, 05:37 PM   #35
Dramnek_Ulk

Vampieric tuoch is super dooper beacuse instead of rolling 6d6, there is % chances to get so much damage. so its much more damgering and effective. And web is only level 2, has a -2 to save lasts for aturn and total imooblieses anything of anysize and has a casting speed of two

------------------
On wings of glory I am riding the sky
The mystic guardian please be my guide

[This message has been edited by Dramnek_Ulk (edited 07-20-2001).]

Old 07-20-2001, 02:24 PM   #36
Tuor
Elminster

In no particular order:

Mage spells
Hold person
Greater Malison
Melfs miniture meteors
Ice Storm-great for disrupting mage spells (although admittedly crp against anything else)
All the sequencers, contingency, trigger spells
ditto the magic protection spells
animate dead, monster summoning
chromatic orb
emotion
sleep (against nasty irritating little monsters I can't arsed to fight 'properly')
blindness
web
stinking cloud
skull trap
slow
Otilukes resilient sphere-I use it if I' fighting someone powerful and I'm having trouble with them, put 'em in the sphere and heal up) alternatively put your seriously wounded character in until the fights over)
spider spawn-love it
BREACH
power word silence
and anything over level 6 pretty much (with a few exceptions)

Priest spells
sanctuary
doom
miscast magic
silence
holy smite
glyph of warding-fire it straight at em
zone of sweet air
free action
holy power

My all time fave is power word silence because it shuts up gobby mages
Old 07-20-2001, 02:33 PM   #37
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
I thought everybody uses Greater Malison, you mean there're people who choose not to use this spell????

And Emotion is a must have for me, see my above post, nothing like beating on sleeping babies.
I admittedly dont use it as much as I'd like to. I always end up finding other spells to shove in front of it, and by the time I reach it during combat the enemy is usually either too pooped out to waste the spell on or already dead.

Granted, when I *do* reach and it can use it, I love it. Sometimes it gives me a really nice edge. To make sure it IS used though, I often shove it into a sequencer of some sort

Oh, and I love emotion. Great spell.

[This message has been edited by Waluin (edited 07-20-2001).]
Old 07-20-2001, 03:23 PM   #38
Unknown Origin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor:
In no particular order:

Mage spells
Hold person
Greater Malison
Melfs miniture meteors
Ice Storm-great for disrupting mage spells (although admittedly crp against anything else)
All the sequencers, contingency, trigger spells
ditto the magic protection spells
animate dead, monster summoning
chromatic orb
emotion
sleep (against nasty irritating little monsters I can't arsed to fight 'properly')
blindness
web
stinking cloud
skull trap
slow
Otilukes resilient sphere-I use it if I' fighting someone powerful and I'm having trouble with them, put 'em in the sphere and heal up) alternatively put your seriously wounded character in until the fights over)
spider spawn-love it
BREACH
power word silence
and anything over level 6 pretty much (with a few exceptions)

Priest spells
sanctuary
doom
miscast magic
silence
holy smite
glyph of warding-fire it straight at em
zone of sweet air
free action
holy power

My all time fave is power word silence because it shuts up gobby mages

Dude, you just listed a bunch of spells, many of which are not even underrated, just unmentioned thus far.

I mean geez, I was fully expecting to find Goodberries in there, after all that's underrated too.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:20 PM   #39
DragonEdge
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Armor Of Faith for Priests is an AWESOME underrated defensive spell.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:30 PM   #40
dulouz
Manshoon

I place my vote with Vampiric Touch. It can be a life saver when your deep in battle, lost in the underdark, and your cleric (Jaheria) felt the urge to run back to the harpers guild hall.

I also think Bless is a rather nice spell.