Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-08-2001, 08:32 AM   #11
Sigmar
Unicorn

Sigh, I really wish they placed a half-orc barbarian in the game instead of one of those two.
Old 07-08-2001, 08:35 AM   #12
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Guyan Sethe:
I have tried them both and iŽll never do it again. They could be interesting if you like the role-playing aspect and want odd characters, but they both suck pretty much.

i couldnt agree more. They BOTH suck. Better to have Jan in your party than either one of them.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2001, 09:14 AM   #13
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
Sigh, I really wish they placed a half-orc barbarian in the game instead of one of those two.
Actually, they made a big deal about adding Half-Orcs as a choosable race, then did not put one NPC in the game that was a Half-Orc. In fact, I am disappointed with the diversity in general among the NPCs; there is: one dwarf (evil), one halfling (good), one gnome (neutral), no half-orcs. Now they did throw in tieflings, drow elves, and winged elves (albiet without the wings), but none of these are commonly running around the Sword Coast. Of course, most of the NPCs are human; they are the most common race on the Sword Coast. However, there are entire communities of dwarves, halflings, gnomes, and orcs present; you would think that with greater numbers you would see more NPCs floating around that come from those groups. In fact, the only pure elf is Aerie (and she is of a rare, variant race). You figure that they would put at least one of them in, too.

Maybe it's just me...

Anyway, I wouldn't take either Haer or Cernd in my party. I consider both to be a waste of oxygen. I will admit that Haer is better; at least he can contribute in combat. I never use the druids' shapeshifting abilities (they suck in general). If I could give a kit to Jaheira, it would be totemic druid; you lose the shapeshifting, but get to summon animals (who cares if they are any good, as long as they do a good job distracting your opponent). So why would I want a character that I have to shapeshift to make himself useful in combat? I would much rather take Jaheira, strap some red dragon scale on, throw on a ring of regeneration and the scimitar of speed, and let her rip. She'll end up lasting a lot longer than Cernd any day. Reading forward into ToB, bards eventually get better song abilities that (almost) make it worth taking one. However, that is assuming that their bard song actually goes up with levels (and with blades, it doesn't; I may be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't get the new song). Otherwise, the big reason to take a bard is as a backup mage (take Jan or Aerie, in that case), someone to pickpocket (Jan is good here, too), or to identify items easily. Blades have a reduction in pickpocketing and lore. I hear that his spins are nice, but if you have a low constitution, you have no business being near the front line, regardless of how pretty you can swing your swords.

In other words, if you are desperate for NPCs, take them. Then stop by one of the dragons and feed them to it (i.e. use them as fodder while you blast the dragon from far away).

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Old 07-11-2001, 08:40 PM   #14
Jeannada
Dungeon Master

Cernd Can wear that 3ac bracer you can get at adventurers mart, plus a cloak of sewars or protection ring, yes you can get his AC down to about 0 not too difficult. His summoned elementals are far superior to the mage pets too, and can kill gauths and things easily. a lot of monsters cannot hit it, and the wisdom-caster pets last SO much longer for some reason. he SHOULD be able to regenerate more like a werewolf tho,, but he does have that regen staff..

Haer-Dalis is so funny, especially when you put him in the front of the team his speech is hysterical. Haer dalis is worth getting just so you can finish his quest- tho i am still not sure what those bards songs really do- seems like everytime an actual battle starts, he is not singing anymore so whats the use?
Old 07-11-2001, 08:57 PM   #15
Fallen Angel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

They both suck simple as that for some reason in my last game i played through it as an evil party. I had haer'dalis for the whole game basically and the toughest thing he killed was a greater wolfwere how crappy.

------------------

Quote:
Grieve for the soul in Death Dishonored

[This message has been edited by Fallen Angel (edited 07-11-2001).]
Old 07-12-2001, 02:13 AM   #16
Darviathar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Haer'Dalis certainly gets my vote. Cernd won't win any MVP awards, but he has more long term potential, since he is a single classed caster. Druids don't level as quickly as clerics, but if you keep Cernd around until TOB time, he'll have plenty of spells. The Versus Books play guide actually states that Cernd is a BETTER choice than Jahiera, simply because he is single classed. The Shapeshifter kit definitely gets my choice as the worst druid kit though. It is terribly disinteresting, and shapeshifting Cernd all the time basically makes him a fighter, a role served much better by other characters.

I've long wanted to give a bard of some sort a shot in these games (starting with Garrick in BG1), but with only six slots, there simply isn't room for one in a well balanced group. Of all of the thieving abilities, they get the most USELESS one, so they are of no use there. I sincerely WISH that bioware had created a bard kit with reduced find traps/pick lock abilities, just so that we'd all have a chance to play a bard character without sacrificing a much more useful party member.
Old 07-12-2001, 03:23 AM   #17
Tricky
Elite Waterdeep Guard

HaerDalis by a long shot. Why?
1) In defence spin mode he withstood three attacks from the Shadow dragon.
2) He can use wands
3) In same fight as above he caused 79 damage to the Dragon and gain over 150 hp's whilst doing so(Vampiric Touch)
4) Needless to say the dragon died and he got the final blow.
5) He is versatile. Admittedly he is a poor mans Fighter/Mage but since there are no NPC F/M's in BG2, he is the best you get.

Old 07-12-2001, 09:01 AM   #18
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

[/B][/QUOTE]

In other words, if you are desperate for NPCs, take them. Then stop by one of the dragons and feed them to it (i.e. use them as fodder while you blast the dragon from far away).

[/B][/QUOTE]

WELL SAID MATE My sentiments EXACTLY. In a race for the crappest NPC they both win..... or lose, whichever the case may be, just depends on ones point of view eh??

hahahahhahahahahaha GEEZE they SUCK.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2001, 09:37 AM   #19
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

Let me answer this question with another. What is the most annoying noise in a fight "at last oblivion, bleurrggh" etc. Haer dalis breaks my heart. I'm trying to play all npc's and do evil things and here I amcarrying this sappy blade or whatever. He dies before my mages regardless, his magic as currently awful and he isn't looking any better.
Old 07-12-2001, 08:13 PM   #20
oldbittercraig
Elminster

let's follow this discussion up with the next question that begs to be asked- who's the bigger NPC jerk- Edwin or Anomen?

From a personal standpoint, not taking into account whether or not they can benefit my party, I'd kill them just as soon talk to them.