Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-29-2001, 09:12 AM   #1
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

How many here feel that they can control their dreams?

Last night, I had an odd dream...

I was in a house to take something and was trying not to get caught. I didn't look anything like my r/l self, but I knew it was me. He found out I was in there, so I ran into a room and locked the door. The room was like a classroom: desks and chairs and one wall was all windows. He was yelling and banging at the door. I was looking for a way out. At first, all the windows were the kind that don't open. Then, the last two on the right had locking levers. The first one wouldn't budge. I was starting to panic. I turned around to get a chair to break the window, but when I turned back to the window, the last one on the right just...wasn't there anymore. I jumped up on the window sill and managed to run away just as the guy burst through the door.

I then woke up breathing hard and perspiring and my heart was racing. During this nightmare, I was so totally aware of the fact that this wasn't real. I couldn't stop the dream, but I altered it so as not to be trapped.

Now, when I was younger, I was plagued by nightmares of being chased and then trapped. It got so bad, I was afraid to go to sleep at night. Then I got a book on dream interpretations and controlling your dreams. I don't have nightmares frequently anymore, but it's nice to know I can still alter my really bad ones and/or wake myself up.

Can anyone else do this?

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-29-2001, 09:16 AM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

What you describe is called lucid dreaming - being aware that you are only dreaming and often being able to alter the dream.
I think most people have one of those dreams sooner or later (I had a few myself) but if you train yourself, apparently it is possible to gain more control over your dreams and have lucid dreams more often.

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 10-29-2001, 09:19 AM   #3
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
How many here feel that they can control their dreams?

Last night, I had an odd dream...

I was in a house to take something and was trying not to get caught. I didn't look anything like my r/l self, but I knew it was me. He found out I was in there, so I ran into a room and locked the door. The room was like a classroom: desks and chairs and one wall was all windows. He was yelling and banging at the door. I was looking for a way out. At first, all the windows were the kind that don't open. Then, the last two on the right had locking levers. The first one wouldn't budge. I was starting to panic. I turned around to get a chair to break the window, but when I turned back to the window, the last one on the right just...wasn't there anymore. I jumped up on the window sill and managed to run away just as the guy burst through the door.

I then woke up breathing hard and perspiring and my heart was racing. During this nightmare, I was so totally aware of the fact that this wasn't real. I couldn't stop the dream, but I altered it so as not to be trapped.

Now, when I was younger, I was plagued by nightmares of being chased and then trapped. It got so bad, I was afraid to go to sleep at night. Then I got a book on dream interpretations and controlling your dreams. I don't have nightmares frequently anymore, but it's nice to know I can still alter my really bad ones and/or wake myself up.

Can anyone else do this?

I still have the "chased and trapped" dreams. I think I've had them all of my life thus far. As a teenager, I was able to fly and that was somewhat helpful. Different participants would appear in my dreams. Sometimes it would be my brothers and sister because I am the oldest and feel responsible for them. Often, its just me by myself. As I got into D&D more and more, I became able to do things like cast spells etc but most just fizzled.

I agree that once and if you realize that its a dream, then you can alter that dream so that you may have superpowers etc. Some of the most vivid dreams I had were when I was younger. Many times when I get that sense of deja-vu, its because I've dreamed something similiar. No, I'm not stalking you!! Its just that if you find a solution to your dreams, then please please let me know. My girlfriend is tired of me taking all the blankets and running in my sleep. Nothing like waking up cramped and sweating to start your day.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac
  • Jeg burde blive gennembanket for min flatulens.[/list]
Old 10-29-2001, 09:29 AM   #4
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

I still have the "chased and trapped" dreams. I think I've had them all of my life thus far. As a teenager, I was able to fly and that was somewhat helpful. Different participants would appear in my dreams. Sometimes it would be my brothers and sister because I am the oldest and feel responsible for them. Often, its just me by myself. As I got into D&D more and more, I became able to do things like cast spells etc but most just fizzled.

I agree that once and if you realize that its a dream, then you can alter that dream so that you may have superpowers etc. Some of the most vivid dreams I had were when I was younger. Many times when I get that sense of deja-vu, its because I've dreamed something similiar. No, I'm not stalking you!! Its just that if you find a solution to your dreams, then please please let me know. My girlfriend is tired of me taking all the blankets and running in my sleep. Nothing like waking up cramped and sweating to start your day.
Fascinating! Glad to know I'm not the only one with those dreams. They can be very disturbing. And, lol!, I know you aren't stalking me. If I can locate those books again, I'll get you the exact titles. They really did help me learn to recognize that I was dreaming and be able to 'take control' a bit. At least enough to alter the dream enough to get away.

And Mel, thanks for the appropriate terminology. I hate not knowing what something is called. I have now added 'lucid dreaming' to my vocabulary.

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-29-2001, 09:29 AM   #5
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Dream controlling is ecspically fun. Once I get a feel for the dream
that I am having it is fun to start manipulating it. However there
are times that I am not able to control the dream and those are usually
the most violent or the most sinister dreams. I usually wake
up from these in a cold sweat.

------------------
The Ruby Rouge of the ALSB
Official Slayer of Pest's in Cloudy's Kitchen
Blessed is the Warlock
Advisor to the Lady Lioness for Kitchen raid's and such...
Old 10-29-2001, 09:33 AM   #6
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
What you describe is called lucid dreaming - being aware that you are only dreaming and often being able to alter the dream.
I think most people have one of those dreams sooner or later (I had a few myself) but if you train yourself, apparently it is possible to gain more control over your dreams and have lucid dreams more often.

I sometimes have dreams in wich i know im dreaming. Of course i cant really think straight.
But im never able to alter anything, once i tryd to fly in a dream. I wasnt even able to jump very high. I wonder if that has a special meaning?

[This message has been edited by Dreamer128 (edited 10-29-2001).]
Old 10-29-2001, 09:53 AM   #7
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Dreams are fascinating. Have a look at me' 'ole dusty dream thread, where some very interesting dreams are documented. Regarding my experience of lucid dreaming, I can only recall one instance when it's actually happened to me. In this particular dream I ended up turning myself into a dragon and flying around my village. I've never exercised any specific or consistent control over my dreams though, so I think the above example was an accident.

Remember, Studies have shown (apparently) that lucid dreaming is not as good for you as normal sleep.

------------------

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

[This message has been edited by Sharpedge (edited 10-29-2001).]
Old 10-29-2001, 10:02 AM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

Sorry for the OT, but Sharpedge!! Haven't seen you in ages...hope you're alright!

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 10-29-2001, 10:21 AM   #9
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Sorry for the OT, but Sharpedge!! Haven't seen you in ages...hope you're alright!

Hiya. Life is hectic at the moment and it's taken some strange ups and downs, but I'm okay. Just finished an essay so I thought I'd reward myself with a bit of time on IW. I was going to check MH out too, but it seems to have died. Oh, I've almost finished reading Consider Phlebas too but that's for another forum.

Anyway, enough of the OT. I hope you're doing okay, Mel and I'll catch you later.

-Sharp

------------------

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

[This message has been edited by Sharpedge (edited 10-29-2001).]
Old 10-29-2001, 10:30 AM   #10
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpedge:
Hiya. Life is hectic at the moment and it's taken some strange ups and downs, but I'm okay. Just finished an essay so I thought I'd reward myself with a bit of time on IW. I was going to check MH out too, but it seems to have died. Oh, I've almost finished reading Consider Phlebas too but that's for another forum.

The Mithril Hall is only temporarily offline due to connection problems (DSL provider went bankrupt). The way things are right now, we'll probably be back on Thursday.
If you finish Phlebas (aaaahahahahahaha you are going to be so shocked by the ending! ) come and tell me about it in the MH Books forum, ok?

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art