Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-19-2002, 06:12 AM   #1
Faceman
Hathor

While it may have been already posted, I couldn't find it, so I'm now boosting about the invention of an all new (cheap) fighting tactic.
Equip a mage (my PC is a chaotic evil male human fighter/mage with +++++ in QStaff and ++ in Two-Handed weapon) with the Staff of the Magi. We all know it grants invisibility upon being equipped. Now scout ahead and pick an enemy. Attack and hit PAUSE immediately as you hit the opponent for damage.
Now select your other quick weapon and reselect the Staff thus making yourself invisible again. If you do it right you can take out any creature that doea not detect illusions without even a scratch (this includes Beholders, Elder Orbs, Mind Flayers and Ulitharids but e.g. NOT Demon Knights or Kua-Toa).

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: Faceman ]

Old 02-19-2002, 06:38 AM   #2
Barlik Longbeard
Manshoon

You have to watch out for some though. Some creatures can see through and others, like the Elder Orb, can cast wizard eye.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:43 AM   #3
Faceman
Hathor

I never had an Elder Orb spot me. Only these annoying Kua-Toas. however I use this mainly for Illithid-slaying, when all my spells are already cast and all my arrows are shot. (It's as cheap as the indestructible permanent Greenstone amulet for MKs sword).
Old 02-19-2002, 09:02 AM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Why not use Improved Invisibility and save yourself the trouble of continually pausing? Just a thought....

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 01:32 PM   #5
PeeWee
Manshoon

Heh, why not don't pause but rather.....

Hit f2. I do that for Aerie when she goes into killer solo mode.(got boots of speed now and I attack, hit f2, move around to rear of enemy, whack em a few times, hit f2, run around em for fun again and repeat til dead.)

Why spend time when all you can do is hit the right shortcut key.

F2 is for staff, f4 is for sling. Faster and simpler unless your keys are messed up for some reason.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:36 PM   #6
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

My old mage/thief like the staff - Cloak of non-detection is your friend with this one. Staff of the Magi and Celestial Fury as alternative weapons. Can you say repeated, invisible backstabs? [img]smile.gif[/img]
antonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 02:32 PM   #7
hagimihale
Manshoon

I'm soloing an Elven female Thief/Mage at present. Staff of Magi, Celestial Fury, Boots of Speed, Robe of Vecna and Cloak of Non-Detection make for a very enjoyable solo experience! =p

I am in chapter 3 at present but took a detour to Watchers Keep. The only creatures that gave me problems were the Kua-Tua - for some reason, their True Sight revealed me, despite the Cloak of Non-Detection... and I failed a save vs. spells (not sure how - at 16th/23rd level I have a -4 save) and was stunned by a few of their crossbow bolts. They beat on me for a while before I recovered... and then I failed a save again! Thought I was gonna die - was at 10hp (101 max) when I came to again (and I have 2 Rings of Gaxx so I regenerate fast!) and could quaff a potion of healing. Fortunately, they used up all their bolts and spells, so I just beat on them with Celestial Fury.. =)
hagimihale is offline   Reply With Quote