Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 01-16-2004, 10:48 PM   #1
hagimihale
Manshoon

I got NWN as a gift but the damn PC crashed in the beginning of Ch1. Am now forced to take a break while I fix it and starting thinking about going the multi route.

I have played both BG2 and IWD previously. Started with a druid in NWN because it was a class I have yet to try in any RPG. It seems that a Druid/Monk would work well as their requirements overlap... but I'm worried I'll miss out on the high-level abilities.

What kind of levels will I be able to get to by the end of the game? I was planning on an elven druid as the dexterity bonus would help (my strategy being to concentrate on missle weapons and take a tank as a henchman). But since the elf's favored class is Wizard I'd run into experience penalties if I didn't keep the levels even.

Any thoughts?
hagimihale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:04 PM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
You could only get 10/10 in basic NWN, legally. A total of 20 levels.

I would advise, for your first time, to go through as a singleclassed char. I tried doing the multiclass thing and it wasn't as fun as when I gave up and started over as a single class.
That's just me, though

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 05:58 AM   #3
Stratos
Vampire

You can only get a total of 20 levels in NWN and both Monks and Druids gain abilities all the way up to level 20, so I would go for a single class as well. A Monk/Druid is very possible and if you focus on buffing spells the probably quite good as well, but not as good as a single class Monk or Druid. And you got the XP penalty to consider if your classes aren't even in levels or max one level apart. You also have to remember that both a henchman and any summoned creatures takes some of the Xp you get by killing monsters so you'll get less with each kill. I played the game through with a Monk without any henchmen at all and I only reached level 17 by the end of the game.

Finally, a Monk also looses his number of attacks per round if he uses any other weapon than unarmed or kamas so that's something to consider if you gonna go the archery path. The Monk/Druid multiclass is still a very viable combo, but it's strength lies more in the fact that the Monks unarmed bonuses applies while using the Druids shapeshifting abilites, rather than any in archery. But play the character you want to.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Since Monks have to be lawful and Druids anything with neutral in it, Lawful Neutral is the only alignment a Monk/Druid multiclass can have unless you want to go around and change your alignment in the game. It's possible but you'll have to say some things to characters that might be a bit out of character if you want to roleplay your character.

[ 01-17-2004, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 01-17-2004, 06:18 AM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

unless you also get the expansion though.. that can give you up to lvl 40.. but you can finish the game with lvl 24 or so.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:59 PM   #5
hagimihale
Manshoon

Thanks for the replies. I do think I'll try to finish my first run as a single-class Druid. I'll try a monk on my next run.

Which expansion packs are you talking about?
Old 01-17-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
Stratos
Vampire

There are two expansion packs to NWN; Shadows of Undrentide (SoU) and Hordes of the Underdark (HotU). It's HotU that enables you to go all the way to lv 40. I recommend both, though, as they add new skills, spells, feats as well as something called Prestige Classes. Prestige classes are basically different specializations for your character. Almost like the kits in BG2 but you have to earn them in-game by meeting certain requirements.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:51 AM   #7
hagimihale
Manshoon

What do you think about adding one level in Wizard to allow my Druid to use wands & scrolls? Since I'm playing an elf it won't give me the experience penalty.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:50 AM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
That probably won't hurt you that much, even if it's a bit out of character for a druid to study wizardry for a few months and then abandon it. Druids usually frown on arcane magic... Elves being an exception. I always ran elven magic different in my campaigns... but I ramble.
The short answer is it should be fine.
And better yet, it'll give you access to the Cloaktower quests, which are fun and *extremely* profitable...
Just make sure to keep the proof of your membership with you for the later chapters. It's handy.

[ 01-18-2004, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Illumina Drathiran'ar ]

Old 01-21-2004, 01:56 PM   #9
browns1977
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just got the Gold Edition. I was planning a Fighter / Mage. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Of course I might not get my level 9 spells until I get more levels with HotU. Isn't leveling in fighter after level 18 kinda pointless anyway? Don't you just pick from a list of feats you don't really need at that point?

Thanks,
browns1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:27 PM   #10
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Probably don't need them if you have Tenser's Transformation... What race are you? I'm asking because I'm thinking about the favored class, and also, if you don't think there's a point, why do it?
As a mage, you won't be in combat anyway... you can't wear armor. Stoneskins and Premonitions make that a moot point, but still, I'm curious as to why you'd pick it, expressing disdain as you do for all those fighter feats.
Although I admit some of them are handy... What level do you plan to go to as fighter? You might be able to swing it with four or five, thus allowing you to get to level 15 or 16, and I *think* you could cast Level 8 spells by then, which are nothing to sneeze at. Premonition and Summon Creature come to mind. I could be wrong about the levels, though... Anyone?