Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 08:45 AM   #1
Neomi
Zhentarim Guard

I've played through the game countless times, sometimes with parties large/small, and occasionally solo (so far: sorcerer, ranger/cleric, F/M/T). In my last game I was amazed by Aerie's power when she hit the higher levels, so I decided to try a cleric/mage solo. Though it was tough going at the start, after reaching about 15th level this character has really started to kick some serious butt. You gain cleric levels somewhat faster than mage levels after a while, so she is now around 20/17. No 9th level mage spells yet, but able to explode almost all the undead. I'm currently in the Windspear Hills dungeon and I fear that "Big Red" will be dreadfully easy.

So, here's the question for all you soloists...

What is your {best/worst/favorite/most powerful/most difficult/easiest} solo character that you've played, and why?

Mine would be:

Favorite - Cleric/Mage. Almost all the spells in the book, lots of defense, lots of offense. Great summons, exploding undead. WOW! Surviving early-on wasn't even that hard because of rapid level-ups by scribing scrolls.

Most powerful - Sorcerer. Hard to compete with on a level-per-level basis for power. Maybe the C/M will get there at the highest levels.

Easiest - F/M/T. Utility character, can do basically anything from tanking, summoning, thieving, etc. You basically have everything covered. The main drawback was the slow leveling, which only made the attainment of ultimate power a little slower. But I ALWAYS find it annoying to have a non-thief solo character tripping all the traps just to open stupid boxes or doors.

Ok, it's your turn. What is your {insert adjective here} solo character, and why?

Be creative!

(edited to reflect the astute comment of Brainless One)

[ 02-24-2005, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Neomi ]
Old 02-24-2005, 03:16 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Favourite, easiest and most powerful: Sorcerer. Fight was over before it started.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:18 PM   #3
Jim
Quintesson

My favourites for power/originality/enjoyment include shapeshifter/beast master/jester. Great kits
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well, my fav char i've ever done, was a solo R/C multiclass. He was such fun, and damned strong too. So, for most fun, i'd say R/C, but for most powerfull, i'd say either R/C, C/M, or Sorceror.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

My craziest solo was also R/C but without any summon throughout the game. He had 2401 kills (in TOB) and all have died from him or his spells. Heh, true child of Bhaal!

[ 02-24-2005, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Leslie ]
Old 02-24-2005, 06:50 PM   #6
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

My favourite runthrough was with a fighter with the Morituri kit (available from http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_editors2.php if you're interested).

It's more than slightly overpowered, but was a very rewarding solo runthrough.
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
My most powerful was a sorcerer, and easiest a tossup between that and a cleric/mage... The most difficult, an avenger druid.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:20 PM   #8
Brainless One
Zhentarim Guard

Neomi, were you playing a Sorceror or a Mage? It sounds like Sorceror but you mention leveling up quickly due to scribing scrolls, which Sorcerors cannot do. Just a little bit of confusion for me...
-Brainless One
Brainless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
Neomi
Zhentarim Guard

Good point, Not-so-Brainless One. I think I mixed up what I was trying to say while typing/cutting/pasting. It is the C/M that leveled up pretty quickly by scribing spells, despite having to split the XP.

The other solo was a sorcerer, but he still leveled up fast because of only having one class.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:36 AM   #10
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

This thread has just given me a craving to replay the Morituri character, the class is just sooooooooooo good for a solo character.
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote