Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-15-2001, 05:27 PM   #1
Artea

can a fighter/mage/cleric use shield and cast spells? is there any shields/armors they can use?

Old 01-15-2001, 05:55 PM   #2
Tobbin
Red Dragon

You can equip the shield, but you can not cast with it (hmmm. actually, I never used a shield with a mage, so someone double check this part for me, please). If you can find totally magical armor (Bracers AC 3, necklaces, rings, etc.) then you can get a fighters AC, I was able to get to -11 and cast spells, fight, etc. It takes awhile to get all the cool trinkets though, especially since you will level up very slowly with three classes. If you have armor on though, you will have to take it off to cast mage spells. Clerics can cast with armor, so they are not restricted like that.
Old 01-15-2001, 06:32 PM   #3
G.W.

You can use the shield and cast. You may be able to wear elven chain as well and cast. I don't suggst the triple class combo. It takes forever to level. A mage/thief/fighter is also more viable because the thief side will gain more levels than a cleric side.

Old 01-16-2001, 12:35 AM   #4
Artea

there's one thing that isn't so good with f/t/m...there are really good thiefs out there but not so good clerics. and i like the idea of a fighter which can cast offensive spells AND heal himself.

Artea Silverheart

Old 01-16-2001, 01:04 PM   #5
G.W.

It's true that none of the clerics in the game have any strength. I think clerics are pretty overrated however. Their biggest usefulness is their protection spells (like negative plane protection) or restoration spells. Heals are too slow for combat, besides the complete heal, the other heals only reduce downtime. The potions are much more useful.

Old 01-16-2001, 05:57 PM   #6
Artea

yeh your right that healing spells are to slow, but if you give the mage the robe of verca or what ever the name is he gets way faster. and clerics have some good offensive spells to, like sunray resurrection and restoration isn't to bad eather, they also get armor of faith which is great at higher levels...

Artea Silverheart

Old 01-16-2001, 08:08 PM   #7
Tobbin
Red Dragon

The only major problem with the f/m/c is that they level so slowly though. Granted, if they ever get up to a really high level, they are powerful, but who has that kind of patience. Also, since we are talking about BGII, they can only go up to 2,950,000 exp points. That would go something like this. 11/12/12 where the 11 is fighter, 12 is magic user, 12 is cleric. Not only that, but if you don't have it on Normal or Easy, then you will not get a decent amount of hitpoints when you go up a level either. With the 12th level spells, a character could only cast 6th level spells. You can counteract this by installing the cap remover, but it would still take forever just to reach that.
Old 01-20-2001, 09:44 AM   #8
Psynapse

My main character, Scar Astralblade, is a F/M/T, and I'm regretting going tri class now because the experience cap means that I can't ever have more than 1 6th level spell. If there was no cap then F/M/T would rule them all, the combination of powers means that you are very difficult to overpower, physically or magically, and very difficult to suprise. Now I am seeing how well my C/M goes, the spellcasting power should, in theory at least, be quite awesome ot behold. Failing that I'd say a Paladin, or a Mage should end up the most powerful.

Cheers

Old 01-20-2001, 11:42 AM   #9
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

hmmm... there is a nice armor... a elven armor that will be able to let you cast spells even though you are wearing it... its cool and good for spellcasters... for those who want to get it .. it is in ...(spoiler ahead) chapter 6 or 7... with the elves...