Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 01-23-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
Vampire

Arrow

hey everyone, I am a newbie to MMOG but oldie to RPGs and RSTs...(loved Warcraft and Baldur's Gate)...

Now I have a few questions that I would love all of you to answer: [img]smile.gif[/img]

1) What is the fundamental gameplay style difference in World of Warcraft and Everquest II?
2) Are there any other MMOGs beside these 2 that is equally good?
3) What are the costs of playing either in UK?
4) What is the worst point of playing MMOGs?
5) Which one closer resembles D&D RPG style?
6) Why is everyone more biased towards WoW?

Basically can you describe two, so I can make an informed decision?

Thank you

Avy

Old 01-23-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
Lucern
Quintesson

4. I think they're fun, but I can never play them exclusively. The worst part for me (a relative n00b myself) is when I think about the whole setup of the game. Take away plot elements, friendly people, and a sense of 'being there' and you have a game little more complex than Diablo.

I mean...it's basically an increasingly difficult monster heirarchy, as you climb the ranks of the player heirarchy. And at worst, your character can be little more than an archetype, and the other players are behaving as little more than automatons killing monsters to gain level.

I think WoW and EQ2 are the epitome of the best of what the first generation of this style of game can be, but also the end of the first generation. I think they'll start to question the value of levels and classes, 'newbie zones', monster killing to increase level, etc, and make more dynamic games that offer so much more than level advancement to keep you playing.

And of course, like AD&D, that's all some people will want to do with it anyway. That system allows for so much more though. Current MMORPGs (essentially hack and slash) will be around for some time, but it's my hope that more RP-centric mmoRPgs will spring up to take people out of RP servers, MUDs, MUSHs, and endlessly replaying BG2 and Morrowind
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:00 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Wow has more quest and is a lot more friendly for the casual player than games like everquest 2 and lineage 2.

Wow has a relatively fast advancement rate, so that in maybe 30 of time spent ingame, you'll probably hit the max level. There are also way more quest than other mmorpgs...

For example, I played Lineage 2 longer than I played wow, and in % of the level cap, I got closer to it in wow than in L2.

In L2 it take extremly long to level, if you die you lose xp and items, if you die a few time you can lose day's worth of xp...

What I'm trying to get to is that for wow they tried to remove all the annoying things found in other mmorpgs, so that playing it would be fun instead of a chore.

That's the difference in style, I'd describe wow as fun, and eq2 as long.

The closest thing to D&D would be D&D online that is expected to come out in 2005.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:15 PM   #4
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Check out my links to Guild Wars the game cost about the same as the other's (WOW and Everquest) but Guild Wars is FREE TO PLAY ON LINE forever and is alot more like a mix of Baldurs Gate and Diablo in that you are part of an 8 man team or a four man team with hundreds of quests SEE MY LINKS you'll love it.

Their servers have had more than 400,00 players at the same time with no lag to anyone weather you have dail up DSL or cable makes no difference.

[ 01-23-2005, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 01-24-2005, 09:25 AM   #5
Vampire

still can't decide:

Basically I want:

1. a game where everyone isn't level 900 and there is a wide spectrum of abilities/monsters and things to do...

2. where u can relax or fight monsters and everyone isn't rushing to kill each other.

3. where it is vaguely D&D like without being too different

4. NOT GuildWars, as i dislike the idea of being disattached with rest of the world. I like travelling long journey's and having people ambush me... it feels real.

Please name this game [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 09:38 AM   #6
Vampire

Just realise Everquest has no PvP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is shocking! I guess I can only play WoW then....
Old 01-24-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I replied in your other thread...
Old 01-24-2005, 04:27 PM   #8
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:

PvP in WoW is completely overrated. If you play on a strictly PvP server, you will most likely find yourself cursing left and right and might end up with a broken comp. PvP server is literally a slugfest between both sides (obviously) but it is literally impossible to go and and quest in foreign grounds without getting killed. You really can't enjoy yourself because you must always be on your guard. Players will attack you while you are attacking creeps, it is an all out massacre when it comes to starting grounds.

Stick with PvE.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:34 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:

PvP in WoW is completely overrated. If you play on a strictly PvP server, you will most likely find yourself cursing left and right and might end up with a broken comp. PvP server is literally a slugfest between both sides (obviously) but it is literally impossible to go and and quest in foreign grounds without getting killed. You really can't enjoy yourself because you must always be on your guard. Players will attack you while you are attacking creeps, it is an all out massacre when it comes to starting grounds.

Stick with PvE.
[/QUOTE]Yes, that's the point of pvp servers, some people like that.

It's not as bad as you make it out to be, there are safe zones to level, and safe cities to restock.

Sometimes I wish I went to a pvp server. Zones like Ashenvale Forest, Hillsbrad Foothills and such lose their effect when you have an ennemy city in front of you, ennemies are all over the place, but there are no sense of danger.

But I still like the pvp on pve server. You turn it on if you want, and you're sure to find someone to fight in a short time.

At worst you just go attack an ennemy city.

Of course battlegrounds are going to be awesome. Full scale pvp with objectives, quest and everything, but with equal odds and only people interested in participating.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote