Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-06-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Okay I went into HMV today and bought everquest 2. (This is in GD because the game has nothing to do with it really). Now the serial code says it's already been registered.So I can't play the game. I'm thinking somebody must have bought it, registered and took it back for a refund. Is that possible?

Or could it be somethng else?
Old 01-06-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Or maybe somebody that didn't buy a copy registered with a fake number. The same thing happened to me and The Sims2. I contacted EA through tech support, together with a scan of a receipt and photos of the box and cds inside, and they sent me a new code that I could register. Maybe you should try that. Write to the company that made the game and see what they say. They should give you a new code if you provide them with proof you bought the game. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I thought of that. Got a new CD key for nwn when I peeled the cd key off by mistake. But I had to send it off and it took bloody weeks. I think i'll try and return it. If I get stuck with it then I'll get in touch..
Old 01-06-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

I don't see why they'd want you to do anything else but scan the receipt and take photos/scans of the boxes and the cds (if they have any of the numbers on them). [img]smile.gif[/img] Or go back to the store and complain.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Yeah thats a pita, it's shame that you have to go through loops like this just to play a game you bought from a retailer. Take it back, be calm be civil and hope for the best, worst case you have to jump through the loops to get the proper key. I'd give you mine but ti was from the beta test.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

Hopefully you still have your receipt. I would take your case directly to store managment. I work in retail management selling video games at Gamestop. Returned PC games that are opened should never be resold, particularly if they use serial numbers or CD keys. The potential for fraud is vast.

At my store, we only offer an identical replacement for open games and defect the returned games out even if we make an exception to the idential product policy. Our POS system prompts us with serial number verification phone numbers for returned MMOG's to insure we do not take back registered games.

Since HMV is not a dedicated game store they might not have the safegaurds in place that we do or there may have been a mistake that cause returned product to get back on the shelf that shoudln't have.

Anyway, if the unlikely event that the store manager wont help you, go to the DM. DM's hate to say no to customers with legitimate complaints who do not clearly appear to be attempting fraud. They hate it even worst when corporate gets a call. If it goes so far tha the DM wont help, threaten to call corporate as leverage.

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2005, 09:10 PM   #7
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

ahhh, the joy's of english law..

Take the game back and explain that it does not work because of a CD key problem, simply explain that and ask for a replacment..

They can not refuse you, the product has failed to operate as intended..

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

Lot's of info there if you look for it, but you don't need to go down that road, just take it back and tell them what's wrong so they don't end up reselling it..

Also might be an idea to get in touch with whoevers running EQ2, and tell them you where sold a boxed game who's CD key is in use, so they know somthing's not right with a player..