Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-22-2004, 03:39 AM   #11
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

No, what I meant was:

Firefox might allow cookies for the current session only, but as what type of the cookies are being stored, I have no idea. I assumed that the board sofware might know the state of the cookies control and transmit session cookies instead of persistant cookies that will only be kept for the session only.

For the the subject of why are you being indentified as "undefined" instead of being "you are not logged in", I have no idea why this would happen.

In theory, this should not be happening since Firefox does allows all cookies to be kept as long as the current session is kept on, right? But somehow, either the board software rejected the setting and transmit different cookie types to you instead or Firefox itself might have purged some of the cookies as soon as it arrived. This is a question worth debating... but since I have very little knowledge of the inner workings of firefox, you will have to seek your answers elsewhere.

Sorry, I am just an average-joe user.

[Added]
It is possible that right after you logged in, firefox considers the "current seesion" as being expired and thrown away old cookies. The new cookies that are sent by the board after you logged in might be the cookies to indentify that you have logged in but your user ID and such might have been stored in the "old cookies", which firefox has already purged them. So... to the board software, you are already logged in, but it just don't know who you are. Kind of funny, come to think of it. [img]smile.gif[/img] Kind of like a membership card for a club but with no names printed on the card. "Yes, nice to have you here, err....mister...umm..."

[ 07-22-2004, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 07-22-2004, 10:03 AM   #12
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
When I try to do some things here in the last few days, my login has been changed to 'undefined': that is, the top panel which usually says "Hello, LennonCook [log out]" says "Hello, undefined [log out]". undefined has no privaledges whatsoever, and attempting to even view my profile results in the page which tells me that I'm not logged in. From there, I can click the 'Login' link, while still undefined, and be able to log in normally. However, trying to submit a post when it does this to me results in it simply telling me that I am not allowed to, with no sign of being not logged in. The main thing I've noticed causing this is when I try to post a poll. The error is reproducable.
It has only been happening in the past few days, and only here. Browser is Firefox 0.9.2, and all cookie requests from here are told to 'Allow for Session'.
Your security IS set too high.. Javascript is needed for loading the cookie to log your session for ya.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 07-23-2004, 03:13 AM   #13
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Z, Javascript is enabled.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:26 AM   #14
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

So, did you get any answers elsewhere or you decided to enable persistent cookies for IW?

[ 07-23-2004, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 07-23-2004, 03:59 AM   #15
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Haven't gotten any answers elsewhere yet, no... but I'm not going to enable cookies persistantly unless I absolutely have to, and I'm still sure that that isn't the case.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:02 AM   #16
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ok, I ended up reinstalling Firefox because something else was bugging me, and sofar this hasn't happened again. Cookie settings are the same as they were, so it must have been a random glitch in an extention or something... Ah well, it's fixed now anyway. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2004, 08:24 AM   #17
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

It is always recommended to uninstall and completely remove the folders of the older versions first before install the newer ones. I supposed you skipped that part.

Anyway, I was playing around with some old extensions and it completely crashed my Firefox and refuse to restart again. What did I do? I uninstalled Firefox, and deleted the extension folder in my profile. Reinstall the latest version and it was back to normal. I could have swore that it runs much faster now. Some older extensions like Ad-Block are known to cause some compatiblity problem with some sites. I am not sure if the latest version manage to solve that but I am in no hurry to give it a try.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:50 PM   #18
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Actually, I didn't skip that bit.
Add Block... oddly enough, I had it installed before... and I think that this started around the time I uninstalled it because I wasn't using it anymore.
Now, if only I could find the download manager tweak again... the one that makes the download manager a tab in Firefox instead of another Window...
Old 07-30-2004, 08:53 PM   #19
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

To back Ziroc up, he makes a valid point. Even though I have the IW cookies already on my system, I have to keep the security set no higher than medium-high.

Anything else, and IW will not recognize me.

Even if you have javascript enabled...you can still have the security set too high and it will mess you up.

That is what he was saying. He already knew you had java script enabled.

I gathered that he was referring you to properties/privacy settings on IE.

If I misunderstood him, forgive me for the intrusion.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:53 PM   #20
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

LennonCook,

I have been visiting The MozillaZine forum every once in a while I found out that many people are having problem with pages not loading correctly after using Ad-Block. Suffice to say, this extension is both a bless and a curse because it makes browsing faster (without having to load the ads) but at the same time, it really messed up on other sites.

Anyway, these are the extensions that I have installed on my 0.9.2, all of them seems to be working fine:

- Firesomething 1.5.2
- All-In-One-Gesture 0.11.1
- Paste and Go 0.3.1
- Tabbrowser Extensions 1.10.2004071201 (not endorsed/approved by Mozilla Org)
- Downloadwith 0.0.7
- Launchy 3.1.0
- Show Old Extensions 0.1.3

Note:
I downloaded Tabbrowser extensions from the author's website. Although it was not modified/updated to run on Firefox 0.9.2, it still works fine for me.

[ 07-30-2004, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]