Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 12:10 PM   #1
Jorath Calar
Harper

According to you?

Well, I don't think Ive ever played more new games this year, usually games are about one year old when I start playing them but having a steady job finally has allowed me to buy lots of games this year... and I sure took advantage... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, my 5 fave games (in no special order.

1. Halflife 2: Despite the awful steam system, the gameplay, the graphics, the atmosphere in this games is just awesome... my only complaint is how linear it is, then again it is a shooter... [img]smile.gif[/img]

2. Dawn of war: This game single andedly resurrected my interest in the RTS genre, not to mention it is set in the Warhammer 40.000 universe... orks wif biiig shootas are always fun

3. Sims 2: Yes I hate to admit it, but I'm frikkin addicted... my life is so unexciting that I have to play a normal life on my computer... sad.

4. Need for speed underground 2: The first one was good, this one is greeat.

5. Star Wars Battlefront: Actually not so great, but the first decent Starwars game besides KOTOR in ages so I kind of feel obliged to include it... aand I'm rrunning out of games to remember... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Worst Game:
Doom 3: The graphic was great but damn it was boring and tedious... plus the beginning was terribly similar to the original Halflife.
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:26 PM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Nice list Jorath, hope you dont mind console games.

Favs:
1: Doom 3, well I havnt really played half-life 2 yet so I cant compare [img]tongue.gif[/img]

2awn of War:Man this game was good, fraphics story, and your buildings falling from the sky in pods!!!! But it would have been better if Tyranids were included [img]tongue.gif[/img]

3:Unreal Tournament + Editors pack: Best played with friends, but still with an action packed single player.

4:The sims 2: My sister is probably the biggest Sims fan there is, but she is right when she says how great it is, I loved it. Though it did get a little repetative.

5aper Mario 2-The thousand year door:Holy crapsticles, this game rocks!! I cant really say much but if you have a Gamcube and liked the original, go get it!!!

6:Metroid Prime-Echoes:.............What can I say??? This game rocks!!

7:Hitman-Contracts:Killing people for money...Who doesnt like it????

Worst games:
1:Counter strike-Condition zero:I dont own the game, but I have played it a bit, and it isnt anything special

2:True Crime-Streets of L.A:Although the game is slightly fun, it's WAAAAAAAY too short for a game on 4 CD's

I probably have more, but I cant think of them [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And unfortunantly, most people think that next year will be a hump year, mainly because there are not many decent games planned for next year
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:39 PM   #3
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
6:Metroid Prime-Echoes:.............What can I say??? This game rocks!!

7:Hitman-Contracts:Killing people for money...Who doesnt like it????
Two excellent choices!

I still liked the original Hitman best of them all, but Contracts is a blast too.
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:19 PM   #4
uss
20th Level Warrior

It was really annoying in Hitman 2 how you could see your bullets fly.

I'm loving Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines at the moment. Enough to say that it's the best RPG since the Baldur's Gate series and Planescape: Torment, in my opinion. [img]smile.gif[/img]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 05:33 PM   #5
Jorath Calar
Harper

Okey next on my list... Vampires... heard so many good things about it and I really miss RPGs
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:08 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

My list:
Half Life 2 - best FPS I've ever played
Far Cry - let's not forget that this jewel came out this year
Bloodlines - great RPG, best this year
Underground 2 - what underground failed to be
Unreal Tournament 2004 - game too fun
Sims 2 - don't tell me you didn't see this one coming

About the comment on Doom III, personally, the game got boring after a while. I've played for about 6-7 hours of the game, and although the graphics are really ode-deserving, the game is predictive, boring, repetitive and too simple for my taste. And a single level in Bloodlines has more tension than the whole 6-7 hours that I've played through.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:36 PM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Rome TW
Bloodlines (despite all those bugs)
Medal of Honor- Pacific assault
Call of Duty- United Offensive
NBA Live 2005
Farcry
Panzers

I'm sure i'm forgetting one or two here, but this is all that comes to mind right now.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:45 PM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

1. Star Ocean : Till end of Time (PS2). Probably the best PS2 rpg I ever played. The battle system is awesome! The storyline and plot got a very nice twist which keep me interested. This game virtually take me off Diablo 2 for quite some time. 2 thumbs up for this game.

2. Call of Duty : United Offensive (PC). A great expansion to already a great WW2 shooting game. I just love the first British Mission. [img]smile.gif[/img]

3. Fatal Frame 2 : Crimson Butterfly (PS2). A very good horror game. Where you use camera to shoot at ghost instead of guns.

4. The Sims 2 (PC). A wonderful sequel to The Sims. I love the new things. Great game. Too bad my sister play the game more than I do.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:03 PM   #9
Riftmaker
Elminster

I'm going to defend Doom3 here.

You can't compare Bloodlines to Doom3, they are two ENTIRELY different styles of game. Comparing an RPG to an FPS is apples to oranges. No comparison.

While comparing it to Half Life 2 would make more sense. But honestly now, it was intended to be a remake of the original DooM. It shouldn't be a shock to anybody that it's mostly run, shoot, run, shoot. However, try playing it with the lights off, surround sound, on UV mode

Hmmmm, other games to my liking....

SoulCalibur 2.
Sims 2.

That's it because I haven't played HL2 yet (no dvd drive, methinks I'm getting one for christmas), and the other games I want (San Andreas, KOTOR 2) aren't out for PC yet.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:00 PM   #10
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Best games!

Thief III
Deus Ex II
Bloodlines
HL2
Kotor

Worst games!

Doom II
Sims II