Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2001, 07:09 PM   #21
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

I lumped Gauths and Beholders together as they are encountered together, Gauths can certainly be silenced as can Dragons as can Beholders, at least this is what the text tells me. Did I say that silence would protect from a Beholder attack.......I think not. Yes incidentally a Beholder can be silenced, did you never talk to the Beholder/Spectator in the Underwater City? This would lead one to assume that they are capable of oral communication. Or perhaps you thought that was all a psychological communication and no exchange of words took place. Would you consider a Dragon as a "low to mid level spellcaster" I wonder....now who is talking nonsense I have to ask myself.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.

[This message has been edited by Cavern Sniffer (edited 07-17-2001).]
Old 07-17-2001, 08:51 PM   #22
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

What about Greater Malison? Lowers opponents saves by -4. Hardly anyone uses it. Helps other spells do full damage, helps instant kill spells and weapons like the vorpal blade.

Another one I don't hear too many people using is Emotion.

------------------
Old 07-17-2001, 08:53 PM   #23
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Thats odd I use greater malison all the time, I thought everyone did.

Slow is a great spell.

------------------
Old 07-18-2001, 02:48 AM   #24
Azred
Drow Priestess

I use Greater Malison all the time; the Robe of Vecna guarantees that my spell will take effect first, then follow up with Slow, Horrid Wilting, or (when I'm feeling cruel) Wail of the Banshee. Against dragons, I pack 3 Malisons into a Spell Sequencer for disastrous effect.

Actually, Mass Invisibility is quite underrated--it gives your party Improved Invisibility and +4 to all saving throws for the duration.

Also, Armor of Faith--it's cumulative, you know. At 20th level, Anomen casts 4 of these and becomes physically invulnerable.

Finally, some others: Glitterdust, Control Undead, Incendiary Cloud (unless nearly immune to fire, any being kept inside the area of effect will die). For clerics, Mass Cure and Nature's Beauty.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....

Who are you? What do you want?
Old 07-18-2001, 03:50 AM   #25
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

I thought it was widely used too, I use it often. Horror and Emotion I like to use too.

Old 07-18-2001, 07:02 AM   #26
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I thought everybody uses Greater Malison, you mean there're people who choose not to use this spell????

And Emotion is a must have for me, see my above post, nothing like beating on sleeping babies.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.
Old 07-18-2001, 07:14 AM   #27
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

The fact that Armor of Faith is cumulative is a bug, and I won't take advantage of that. Even cast just once, its a nice spell.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:30 AM   #28
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
Hm, how about "Vampiric Touch" (for fighter/mages) ?

Cavernsniffer, you used "Silence" on beholders and it worked ? What kind of nonsense would that be - rules- and logic-wise ? Their attacks are nonverbal gaze-based ones after all ! But I've to agree that "Silence" can be very effective against groups of low- to mid-level spellcasters, especially in combination with "Greater Malison", another possible candidate for most underrated.
The same kind of nonsense that allows Cloudkill to be effective against Golems. Golems don't breathe!...and they're not really *alive* in the sense that they have physical processes going on in their bodies, so how can they be poisoned? Just don't get that whole concept...

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 07-18-2001, 08:40 AM   #29
Altranan
Dungeon Master

I guess I'll start using greater malison (see i don't even know how to spell it) then.
For some reason no-one has mentioned wizard eye, it was really useful playing the game first time around especially when at low-levels.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:06 AM   #30
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I used to use Wizard Eye a lot.

But after a while, I started using it less in favour of Greater Malison, Emotion, Polymorph, etc... ...

It has it's uses, but I have found alternatives.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.