Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dragon Age™ Origins

Old 03-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Question Mark Expected game length?

Ok, i'm not going to lie.

I started this game about a week ago with very high expectations, based only on what people had been saying, for once I didn't read any reviews (generally spoil, ruin a game for me)

Anyways, it's been a long time since I have played a decent Action/RPG (Except Mass Effect1 & 2, they don't count as they are godly) So I had high hopes.
I decided to go with the PC version as the Mac version was likely not as pretty and its download only (bandwidth is precious here in Aus )

Long story short, I wasn't impressed at first, no idea why, but based on what I had heard I expected awesome graphics and awesome customization. Both were decent but not what was led to believe.

However a week in, I am fairly hooked, and looking forward to getting deep into this game, my main question is though, how long is the average playthrough for you guys?

I have just been through the first(I assume) major battle with the dark spawn (something happens to the king) and have since travelled to the first village to apparently start collecting on the treaties.

If I continue to do the majority of the side quests, how far does this game go?

I am assuming its an everage length core game, and I understand its designed around DLC, so i'm not expecting it to be huge.

Anyways, not sure why I talked so much, let me know how much you enjoyed the game and how long your playthrough was, I really would love a lengthy RPG to play in between FFXIII.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Default Re: Expected game length?

I'm almost reaching 70 hours game time (I have the Stone Prisoner DLC, but that's all) and I estimate I'm about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way thru' the game.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

It took me 160 hours w/all DLC (haven't done the expansion). BUT, my machine is XP with 2GB of RAM. So load times between areas is rather lengthy and big battles brought my rig to a crawl. I used a virtual CD drive to perhaps shorten area load times, but I couldn't tell that it made much difference. I didn't do every side quest but I did most of them. You'll enjoy the game!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivetyrant View Post
Ok, i'm not going to lie.

I started this game about a week ago with very high expectations, based only on what people had been saying, for once I didn't read any reviews (generally spoil, ruin a game for me)

Anyways, it's been a long time since I have played a decent Action/RPG (Except Mass Effect1 & 2, they don't count as they are godly) So I had high hopes.
I decided to go with the PC version as the Mac version was likely not as pretty and its download only (bandwidth is precious here in Aus )

Long story short, I wasn't impressed at first, no idea why, but based on what I had heard I expected awesome graphics and awesome customization. Both were decent but not what was led to believe.

However a week in, I am fairly hooked, and looking forward to getting deep into this game, my main question is though, how long is the average playthrough for you guys?

I have just been through the first(I assume) major battle with the dark spawn (something happens to the king) and have since travelled to the first village to apparently start collecting on the treaties.

If I continue to do the majority of the side quests, how far does this game go?

I am assuming its an everage length core game, and I understand its designed around DLC, so i'm not expecting it to be huge.

Anyways, not sure why I talked so much, let me know how much you enjoyed the game and how long your playthrough was, I really would love a lengthy RPG to play in between FFXIII.
Just to address what you said about expectations vs. reality. Yes, it's a good game but it's no BG3. I think the hype blew it up a bit too much. It is probably what NWN2 should have been, but the absence of D&D definately kills something in it. The nerd inside me misses D&D staples too much. Now, it is just another system created by a game company. I also am not fond of cutscenes and their apparent overuse in RPG's like this one lately. It seems like everyone I talk to boots up a cutscene. I would prefer a text box with audio voice anyday ands cutscenes reserved for main story events of signifigance. Anyways, good game, lot of content in it for sure, but the magic of D&D got lost in business and now it's just another well-rounded fantasy RPG.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

This game reminds me of Mass Effect 1 (haven't played ME2 yet). If you don't do the side quests this game will be very very short. I did almost every side quest (minus 1 in ozimmar) and it took me 50 hours(give or take) to finish this.

I kinda feel like this game wanna incorperate WoW elements in it, ie tank hold agro, dpsers dps enemy, healer heal. You'll probably wanna be min maxing so that you can maximize your character maximum potential. So much for role play...Then again, it's probably because I came straight from playing WoW.

Oh, the most annoying part of this game is the area loading, I believe I spend a lot of time waiting for the area to load. The longer you play the game the longer the area will load.

Last edited by Kakero; 03-23-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #6
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion

My first playthrough took 80 hours over the summer break, whilst my second was just over 42 with all of the DLC (not including Return to Ostagar). The game is really cheap though these days - you can get it from aussiegamer.com for example for 40 bucks.

I guess it depends on one's play-style as well. A friend of mine who lives nearby finished it in 27 hours by treating it as a real time only game (not using pause) and skipping purely decorative dialogue.

Your reaction to the game is fairly typical, from what I've read and if you take a look at my impression thread posted here (which no-one has responded to!) you'll see that I think it's a good thing to be critical of this game, because I feel it is disappointing in quite a few aspects. (The mmo-ification being just one factor)
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Last edited by CerebroDragon; 03-24-2010 at 03:14 AM.
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Sparhawk
Quintesson

My 5 cents.

I think the official statement from bioware was about 60-70 hours of game time - but it all depends on how much you really do - there is plenty more to do and I would not encourage people to not do side-quests as these are really important.

In my first playthrough I reached level 21 - did most of the sidequests and only one of the companion side-quests - this time I am running a tank through and I am going to do as much as possible - I want to do ALL of the companion side quests - though my goal is to safe a lot of cash for the awakening - Awakening is pretty short btw... about 15-20 hours and its a bit too easy - I breezed through it the first time with no wipes and didn't really feel challenged - so that was a little letdown for me - though I looooved the new stuff. I hope the next expansion is a bit more balanced in terms of difficulty though.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
Epona
Zartan

I know what you mean, I loved ME but it has seemed like a long wait for a proper old-skool RPG. The first time I played it, I wasn't even sure whether I liked it or not, I think because I was pinning so much on it there was no way it could live up to my expectations. Also I didn't understand the combat mechanics because it wasn't AD&D rules, so it was a bit of a learning curve.

But I have to say I have played it more solidly than pretty much any RPG that has been released, (with the exception of Morrowind!) it's really grown on me.

My games tend to last 80 hours or thereabouts, but I am an ardent completionist - if there's a side quest to be found, I will do it, and there are a good many side quests in this game.
Epona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #9
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebroDragon View Post
The game is really cheap though these days - you can get it from aussiegamer.com for example for 40 bucks.

So if i had've paid $110 for it today at EB Games... (which, if i wasn't broke, i may well have done).

Thanks for the heads up, CD. I do want to get this game, but i think i'll avoid a retailer.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion

No worries, Sev. Good to see you around again, by the way (shall get to your pm soon!) As an addendum, Awakenings is down to 34 bucks now and you can also get a pack with both it and Origins for 64.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote