Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-17-2004, 07:38 AM   #1
Azeral
Manshoon

I am looking at putting a new system together and i am wondering what you guys reconmend Intel or AMD. I am not biased so i am just looking for ideas at the moment. mother board and cpu are my main parts i need at the moment.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:28 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I've been using AMD chips in my last two machines. They've worked just fine for me, and they're a lot cheaper than Intel. That's the way I'd go...

I will tell you that, having just built up another PC, the next time I will *not* buy all the parts individually. Instead, I will buy a barebones PC from someone like Tigerdirect and add whatever else I want to it. There's no way I can justify the price difference... for less than I paid for the *case* for my last machine, I could have gotten the case, motherboard, keyboard, mouse, and floppy drive. For a little more than I paid for the case, I could have gotten the CPU and cooling fan as well.

But... to each his or her own. I don't do high-level gaming, so I don't have tremendous demands on my system. Figure out what you're using it for, and that will often tell you what you need.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:13 AM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

Cant help you myself but I note youre from Orange NSW, maybe a pm to Hivetyrant, intrepid or luke may help. do you know them? they are all from Orange too IIRC.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years