Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2003, 11:19 AM   #11
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Ive got an $8 radio shack track ball mouse and I love it!! The ball is set on the top for the index finger and your Left click button is off to the side where your thumb sits.The 2 Right click buttons are under your ring and pinky fingers and the 2 scrol wheels are under your middle finger. Makes playing FPS games where the L-click is the "fire" button and scroll button is movement a breeze. Also the thing is HUGE so its easy to use if you have big hands.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:54 PM   #12
MagiK

I absolutley looooove my Logitech Trackman Marble+ I wish I oculd find more of them, but Logitech doesnt seem to make them any more. I have three at home and one at work, but need another one at work.

Anyone who knows where to get older Logitech products let me know Im not happy with their newest trackman wheel

Old 01-12-2003, 03:21 PM   #13
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
I suppose it depends on what programs you intend to use it for. It should work well for most any application with one notable exception. Any game that requires lightning mouse reflexes (I refer mainly, but not exclusively, to 1st person shooters) is unplayable with anything more (less?) than a good ol' fashioned mouse. Optical and track balls just don't cut it.

That said, you could always keep that sodding grime collecter tucked away for those special homicidal holidays. Unless, of course, you're not a quaker, in which case you could say farewell to your old mouse and lovingly carress your new digital input and use it to create pretty flowers and love hearts and fairies (yeah! lots of those!) all over your screen and live happily ever-

Erm..
Time for my holiday.
Actually, that is why I bought the DUAL optical Logitech mouseman--it doubles the resolution to like 900. It' works lightning fast in any FPS.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 01-12-2003, 03:34 PM   #14
esquire
The Magister

IMO trackballs rule! They put less strain on your wrist, can offer better precision, and they take up less space. That said I think alot depends on the quality of the thing, I have never bought anything other than Kensington, but they seem to make the best- their driver software is comlpetely customable for any app. I have a Kensington Orbit trackball, it only has 2 buttons but it has worked flawlessly for over 3 years, pretty good I think! Kensington stuff does cost a bit more, but you get what you pay for [img]smile.gif[/img]

Check em out

http://kensington.com/html/1436.html
Old 01-13-2003, 04:13 AM   #15
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
I suppose it depends on what programs you intend to use it for. It should work well for most any application with one notable exception. Any game that requires lightning mouse reflexes (I refer mainly, but not exclusively, to 1st person shooters) is unplayable with anything more (less?) than a good ol' fashioned mouse. Optical and track balls just don't cut it.

That said, you could always keep that sodding grime collecter tucked away for those special homicidal holidays. Unless, of course, you're not a quaker, in which case you could say farewell to your old mouse and lovingly carress your new digital input and use it to create pretty flowers and love hearts and fairies (yeah! lots of those!) all over your screen and live happily ever-

Erm..
Time for my holiday.
Actually, that is why I bought the DUAL optical Logitech mouseman--it doubles the resolution to like 900. It' works lightning fast in any FPS.[/QUOTE]Is this due to your playing style? I have tried a trackball and optical (not dual though) and found that i had developed certain quirks with the old fashioned mouse that made playing FPS much quicker. Little tricks like the lift and flick can not be duplicated by the optical and is awkward to try with the trackball. Given time, i suppose it's possible to relearn your style but (if you're stubborn like me) you generally don't want to spend frustrating hours developing techniques that you've already mastered.

That said, There are many other types of games that i enjoy which could quite easily be played with optical or track. This would greatly reduce time spent on mouse maintenance (can only be good [img]smile.gif[/img] ) Tell me, Z. What advantages does the dual optical have over the single?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 01-13-2003, 04:23 AM   #16
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Here is the description of my mouse on the logitech website:

Here's the mouse for people who need extremely precise, extremely smooth performance: gamers, graphic designers, and other power users. Its two 800-dpi optical sensors and patented microprocessor calculate surface microstructures at lightning speed, delivering greater precision and twice the speed of typical optical mice.

Click here to see image and more information

Old 01-13-2003, 04:30 AM   #17
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Here is some information on NON-Dual Optical Mice:

--------------
The increasing popularity of large 17 and 19-inch monitors has created a problem for mouse users. The large screen settings used with these monitors mean the mouse must be moved farther than normal to point at something across the screen. The problem is, large movements can be physically uncomfortable.

Most optical mice have a resolution of 400 DPI (Dots Per Inch), meaning that without software compensation, the cursor will move 400 pixels across the screen for every inch the mouse is moved on the desktop. For small screen settings this is fine, but for large settings it means the mouse must be moved abnormally far.

To compensate for this, mouse software drivers include speed and acceleration controls (accessed in the mouse properties dialog) to amplify how far the cursor moves in response to how fast the mouse is moved.

For example, these controls could be set so when the mouse is moved slowly across the table for one inch, the cursor will move 400 pixels across the screen. As the mouse is moved faster, cursor movement will be increasingly magnified up to the point where it will travel 800 pixels or more per inch of mouse movement.

The problem with this is, as the settings are increased, pointing accuracy is decreased and the cursor becomes more difficult to control. In the example above, when the mouse is moved quickly for one inch, the cursor effectively skips every other pixel in order to travel a screen distance of 800 pixels. Thus pointing accuracy is reduced.
--------------

Old 01-13-2003, 04:35 AM   #18
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Cheers for the Link, Z.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 01-13-2003, 12:47 PM   #19
realbinky
Elminster

I, Like MagiK use, and love, my Trackman marble plus. The plus means it has a scrolly wheel, and the ball is for the thumb. My friend has a newer Logitech, and it has a billiard size ball for first and second finger movement, I can use it, but I have to think about it. The trackman doesn't have to move, so I plant it, and surround it with junk on my desk, and I can still lay the smack on most FPSs
Old 01-13-2003, 09:51 PM   #20
Gammit
Elminster

Mouse, definitely. I just bought an optical one. Had a trackball before, and REALLY didn't care for it.