Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 10-02-2000, 08:49 PM   #1
Scribner

Ever time I level up, for EVERY character, I get 1 HP and 1 Stat point. I am leveling them in primary guilds, or Elite guilds beyond their previous guild. Any ideas?

-Scrib

Old 10-02-2000, 09:24 PM   #2
Philip

That happens to me sometimes, but not always. I think it is random, but set when your XP crosses over, not when you actually "Level Up".

Old 10-02-2000, 10:25 PM   #3
Marko

The same thing happens to my characters. I get the 1hp 1skill increase most of the time, regardless of how high my Intelligence or Fortitude is. I'm convinced that it must be another bug.

Old 10-03-2000, 07:02 AM   #4
Scribner

I agree with the bug thoughts. This is the kind of thing that will make a person use a trainer- just to get back some of the HP that were missed. Most of my characters are 6th or so level with fewer than 30 HP. I just know that later in the game it's gonna be tough with LOW HP.

-Scrib

Old 10-03-2000, 11:16 AM   #5
Elkar

This was the case in all the Wizardry games as well. The number of hit points is random. From 1 to whatever the max is for your fortitude and class. Stat points always seem to be 1 to 3. While skill points are based on your intelligence. 1-7INT = 1 skill pt. 8-11INT = 2 skill pts. 12-15INT = 3 skill pts. and 16-18INT = 4 skill pts. I'm guessing that 20INT will yield 5 skill points, but haven't got my stats that high to test that yet.
If you're not satisfied with the levels you're getting, here's a way to get around it. Simply save your game right before you're ready to hit that "level up" button. If you don't like the level, exit without saving, and reload. It may take a several tries, but once you see that "You gained 20 hit points" pop up on the screen, it'll be worth it.

NOTE: If your character has changed roles, you will only gain 1 hit point per level until the level of your new role is higher than that of your old one.

Elkar

Old 10-03-2000, 11:18 AM   #6
Elkar

This was the case in all the Wizardry games as well. The number of hit points is random. From 1 to whatever the max is for your fortitude and class. Stat points always seem to be 1 to 3. While skill points are based on your intelligence. 1-7INT = 1 skill pt. 8-11INT = 2 skill pts. 12-15INT = 3 skill pts. and 16-18INT = 4 skill pts. I'm guessing that 20INT will yield 5 skill points, but haven't got my stats that high to test that yet.
If you're not satisfied with the levels you're getting, here's a way to get around it. Simply save your game right before you're ready to hit that "level up" button. If you don't like the level, exit without saving, and reload. It may take a several tries, but once you see that "You gained 20 hit points" pop up on the screen, it'll be worth it.

NOTE: If your character has changed roles, you will only gain 1 hit point per level until the level of your new role is higher than that of your old one.

Elkar

Old 10-03-2000, 11:28 AM   #7
Groucho

Heuristic themselves addressed this issue over at their message board. Basically, the game takes into account the "normal" number of hit points, etc. for your character every time you level. So, if you hit the jackpot when you hit level 2, you might have to endure a few levels of 1 hp advances for awhile. I think it's a good way to thwart the "reload until I get what I want" exploit.

The moral: if you get a low roll, don't sweat it. Your character will eventually get what's coming to them.

Old 10-03-2000, 11:39 AM   #8
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Just a comment here. I played Wizardy 1,2,5,6,7 and used to do the save and reload things for HP and stats, as well as the other many RPG's I've played. I dont find that necessary in W&W, as it seems to be balanced out. Most of the time, doing this will not get you a lot more in the long run.

My characters are levels 5-6, some multi classed, and my main warriors have 40+ HP. Also remember, touching the Toadem pole gives all who touch 4-6 max HP (permanent). This was especially good for my Faerie/Pixie Wizard who is a little wuss with only 22 HP at level 6.

Also, pick the Barbarian class for a while, you will get some good HP! I made most of my fighters go this route, though I had one fighter get 16 HP on a level up.

Another thing, while my Gnome Cleric went to Paladin, she got 6 HP before her Paladin level (2), passed her Cleric level (5).
So, it IS POSSIBLE to get more than 1 HP, even when you are doing the class change.
Just my two pieces of copper.

Scronan