Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2003, 04:07 PM   #1
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Hey all - I haven't played yet, have just been trying to get an idea of what party to make before I start. I've seen some extreme class changing in alot of the threads, and to me from a RP point of view that would feel kind of strange. Granted I think it probably makes for uber characters, but I don't mind not having an uber party, just so long as I like them from a RP standpoint, and so long as they'll be strong enough to finish the game without too much grief. So with that in mind, here is what I was thinking of:

Gourk Warrior -> Barbarian
Human Warrior -> Paladin -> Valkyrie
Whiskas Warrior -> Samurai
Ratling Thief -> Ninja -> Assassin
Elf Wizard -> Warlock
Pixie Priest -> Warlock

Will this party at least cover all the necessary bases to get through the game from a spell/skills point of view? Any tips on how to develop them? For the ones that have 2 roles only, and suggestions for a 3rd role? I can't see doing more than that for RP reasons; maybe if I play more than once I'll go for more of a power party with tons of roles.

Also what advantages are there to having a character reach a really high level in one class vs class swapping often and never reaching a high level in any? Thanks and this seems like a great board from all I've read!
Old 03-12-2003, 05:34 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

And here I thought this was going to be a welcoming celebration for the newer folks on the boards...

Well, the thing to look at for your party mix is the skills they will have (or not have, specifically). Your ending warlocks will be unable to wear much of the better armor, and will have limited combat and defensive skills. Likewise, your warriors will have limited spell skills.

On the plus side, you won't have to worry about many skills rolling off the page during level-up time, and you'll be able to help bsftcs with that check to see if any traits appear at high guild levels. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And that's the great thing about W&W -- no matter how strange or unique your party may seem, it's still a great way to adventure in the Gael Serran!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 05:57 PM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

Looks like a good party to me. Warlocks have their robes which are pretty good and can destroy most monsters before they can do any damage.

I see you arenīt planning to get a Zenmaster? That is a class you should try out. Itīs cool but Iīm afraid it is also very powerful. But you will get all necessary skills and magic with your classes.

I think you will find that W&W is very flexible so if you donīt like a thing you did, you can most probably change it. I think I would add the monk class for your priest before making him into a warlock though. [img]smile.gif[/img] Perhaps you should think of making two changes for every character. Not really a suggestion, just a hint. This game is actually, when regarding level ups, very long.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 07:23 PM   #4
bsftcs
Red Dragon

That seems a perfectly fine idea. I never use more than three roles for my characters when I play the game. And the roles and races you have chosen sound good for a well balanced party.

[ 03-12-2003, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 03-12-2003, 08:00 PM   #5
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Bungleau - right, I realize I could make them all stronger with more roles, but to me, from a RP point of view, a Warlock would wear robes and a Gourk Barbarian wouldn't cast spells. So long as I have all the skills I need covered by the party as a whole I'll be happy. Also it seems to me the characters would be bland if they could all do everything. I'm more of a roleplayer than a powergamer, but I want to at least know I won't be missing some vital skill or spell, or that W+W requires every character to have 8 roles, or else your party gets pounded. If I can beat the game without it being ridiculously hard then it's good enough for me power wise.

Willow - maybe the Samurai could become a Zenmaster eventually. I've seen alot of people make Priests into Monks, why is that so popular?

bsfcts - I do have a Pixie Priest planned, who would become a Warlock. As for the extra roles, the Priest could go Priest->Monk->Warlock; maybe the Whiskas Warrior->Samurai will then add ->Zenmaster. Not sure what I'd want to do with the Gourk Warrior->Barbarian, I see him as just being a brutish, hack and slash type; maybe switch to ->Ranger eventually? The Elf Wizard->Warlock could go to ->Bard before Warlock. Or maybe he could take a brief role as a Ranger and then to Warlock, for an Elf that doesn't offend my RP senses too much.

One other question about role limitations. If I were to switch say a Warrior to a Ranger, does it still limit the armor he can wear (since as a Warrior he had the ability to wear better armor)? What if I go Warrior->Ranger->Paladin for the sake of argument, does the Ranger armor limitation follow to the next role? Would a Priest->Paladin be able to use bladed weapons as another example of what I mean?

[ 03-12-2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Gimli ]
Old 03-12-2003, 08:05 PM   #6
bsftcs
Red Dragon

The kind of armour and weapons a character is allowed to use depends on the CURRENT role of the character. So yes: it changes... Unfortunately.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:00 PM   #7
jsalsb
Elminster

Gimli, go with what you want from an RP standpoint. Losing yourself in the game is all that counts. Combat challenges are not too difficult in W&W (compared, let's say, to Wiz8 etc.), so any good party mix will do, as long as you have most of the bases covered (fighters, healer, spell-heaver, burglar). I like playing rangers for RP reasons, so I always have one as my alter ego, even in games where rangers aren't the best choice of class (W&W is somewhat of an example...).

You can always go wild on your second playthrough!
Old 03-13-2003, 07:26 AM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Gimli:
*snip*
Willow - maybe the Samurai could become a Zenmaster eventually. I've seen alot of people make Priests into Monks, why is that so popular?
*snip*

One other question about role limitations. If I were to switch say a Warrior to a Ranger, does it still limit the armor he can wear (since as a Warrior he had the ability to wear better armor)? What if I go Warrior->Ranger->Paladin for the sake of argument, does the Ranger armor limitation follow to the next role? Would a Priest->Paladin be able to use bladed weapons as another example of what I mean?
Perahps it is the natural way of thinking. Priest-->monk is a logical choice. But there is also the question of spells to consider. A priest can learn spirirt as well as vine spells whereas the monk can learn spirit spells and some fighting skills. By choosing to change your priest into a monk before becoming a warlord you would gain a magic class (priest trains in vine and monk in spirit). And you would get kung-fu when a monk and you can use this when a warlock as well. Somehow a priest becoming a warlock does not seem so logical to me. I say go for a monk even though the quest is very boring. The monk is a very neat class in W&W.

And you will not loose any skills when changing class. Rangers canīt wear plate I think, but when changing him into a paladin will once again grant you the use of plate armor. All limitations in the previous class are forgotten once you change to a new class. And all limitations in the new class are gained.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 09:53 AM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Looks like a very nice party, Gimli!!

One of the very nice things about W&W is the flexibility of character development! You can change your plan in midstream should you find a need to and it still works!

Do keep us posted on how your game it going!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote