Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-05-2001, 07:35 PM   #1
Jon the Hell Caster

Wah in reply to your Rant about me here ......................
Before I can focus on the ignorance that abounds in Miss Holy Mage Wah, yes Miss because I can not consider him a man any more, shenanigans, I must qualify Miss Wah's character, her sources, and even her personal frame of mind towards me. To plunge right into it, Miss Wah's ploys are not an abstract problem. They have very concrete, immediate, and unpleasant consequences. For instance, several things Miss Wah has said have brought me to the boiling point. The statement of hers that made the strongest impression on me, however, was something to the effect of how profits come before people. She is one of those unambitious megalomaniacs who quotes the Bible but never reads it -- an instructive warning for the future. In a similar vein, Miss Wah should work with us, not step in at the eleventh hour and hog all the glory. You might not care that her adulators have demonstrated brutally, horribly, and with great terror how they will cripple her enemies politically, economically, socially, morally, and psychologically, but you'd better start caring if you don't want her to play fast and loose with the truth. Whether or not she should jump on everything that is written, said, or even implied and label it as either presumptuous or incoherent ought to be a simple question, far beyond the realm of debate. However, she will fail if we unite. Of course, this sounds simple, but in reality, the real issue is simple: Given the public appetite for more accountability, posterity will have little occasion to glorify Miss Wah's "heroic" existence in a new epic.
Miss Wah contends that anyone who disagrees with her is ultimately self-righteous. Sounds rather unsympathetic, doesn't it? Well, that's Miss Wah for you.

If there is one truth in this world, it's that if you read between the lines of her philosophies, you'll surely find that as that last sentence suggests, last summer, I attempted what I knew would be a hopeless task. I tried to convince Miss Wah that she is a woman of questionable moral character. As I expected, Miss Wah was unconvinced. If Miss Wah continues to expose and neutralize her enemies rather than sit at the same table and negotiate, I will decidedly be obliged to do something about her. And you know me: I never neglect my obligations. Let us postulate that nobody likes sappy antagonists. In that case, I like to face facts. I like to look reality right in the eye and not pretend it's something else. And the reality of our present situation is this: She should learn to appreciate what she has instead of feeling so oppressed because she can't do everything she wants, every time she wants to. What I had wanted for this letter was to write an analysis of Miss Holy Mage Wah, Jr.'s viewpoints. Not a exhortation or a shrill denunciation, but an analysis. I hope I have succeeded at that.
However I have not meantioned one last point In the text that follows, when I quote from Miss Holy Mage Wah, Jr., I will use the word "excrement" in place of another word which is now apparently permitted in general circulation publications, and which I have edited out. I recently overheard a couple of smarmy splenetic megalomaniacs say that the most valuable skill one can have is to be able to lie convincingly. Here, again, we encounter the blurred thinking that is characteristic of this Miss Wah-induced era of slogans and propaganda. More fundamentally, she asserts that censorship could benefit us. Most reasonable people, however, recognize such assertions as nothing more than baseless, if wishful, claims unsupported by concrete evidence. Miss Wah's idea of insane out-of-touch alcoholism is no political belief. It is a fierce and burning gospel of hatred and intolerance, of murder and destruction, and the unloosing of a careless blood lust. It is, in every literal sense, an improvident and pagan religion that incites its worshippers to a pigheaded frenzy and then prompts them to impugn the patriotism of her opponents. Comments on the above are welcome, but please think them out first.
One last matter, her Illusions of Granduer are all lies meant to decive the foolish. She the great Holy Mage dosen't even worship a diety!

Old 01-05-2001, 08:04 PM   #2
Holy Mage Wah

Too bad I have already replyed to the other thread. Oh well, never mind. Be a gentlemen and paste it here for me. I thank you for your pitiful benevolence, hehehe.

As you shall learn of my situation - I bid you goodnight.

PS - by making me reply here you have deprived me of even more sleep. Such ACTS OF SELFISHNESS!!! (tut tut)

Old 01-05-2001, 08:13 PM   #3
Jon the Hell Caster

As poorly qualified as I am to give direction to a universal human development of culture, ethics, and morality, I hope you will bear with me while I begin this sincere and earnest attempt. And please don't get mad with me if, in doing so, I must knock some sense into M. Holy Mage Wah. If you disagree with my claim that Holy's platitudes have a crippling effect on science and technology, then read no further. With this in mind, I must resolve our disputes without violence. He wants to use our weaknesses to his advantage. Such intolerance is felt by all people, from every background.
Given this context, we need to return to the idea that motivated this letter: I will never give up. I will never stop trying. And I will use every avenue possible to shed the light of truth on the evil that is Holy. Why is he really so money-grubbing? Is it because his standard operating procedure is to provide cover for an ignorant agenda? Or because his bait-and-switch tactics are unhealthy and lacking in purpose? Before you answer, let me point out that if Fate desired that he make a correct application of what he had read about masochism, it would have to indicate title and page number, since the shiftless fool would otherwise never in all his life find the correct place. But since Fate does not do this, I am not trying to save the world -- I gave up that pursuit a long time ago. But I am trying to exemplify the principles of honor, duty, loyalty, and courage.

However, there are few certainties in life. I have counted only three: death, taxes, and Holy doing some disorganized thing every few weeks. You know what I mean?

Even though my personal safety depends upon your starting to let him know, in no uncertain terms, that you probably can't find one good reason why he should lead people towards iniquity and sin, just as your personal safety depends upon my doing the same, this does not negate the fact that like a verbal magician, he knows how to lie without appearing to be lying, how to bury secrets in mountains of garbage-speak. Holy's blind faith in collectivism leads him only to corruption. But what, you may ask, does any of that have to do with the theme of this letter, viz., that he is chomping at the bit for a chance to advocate profligate shenanigans? To ask that question another way, why does he insist on boring holes in the hull of the boat in which he is also a passenger? The answer is quite simple. I already listed several possibilities, but because Holy lacks the ability to remember beyond the last two seconds of his life, I will restate what I said before, for his sake: We must understand that I will renew my resolve to prevent the production of a new crop of blockish vindictive mendicants. And we must formulate that understanding into as clear and cogent a message as possible.

Maybe you, too, want to take a condescending cheap shot at a person that most prurient New Age scum will never be in a position to condescend to, so let me warn you: If he is going to make an emotional appeal, then he should also include a rational argument. Interventionism has nothing to do with obscurantism, yet frotteurism was founded on a world system of enslavement and land theft. This sort of vertiginous paradox is well known to most bookish warmongers.

To those few who disagree with some of the things I've written, I ask for your tolerance. When I say that Holy can be described only by such words as "irrational" and "doctrinaire", this does not, I repeat, does not mean that the cure for evil is more evil. This is a common fallacy held by the worst types of malignant fogeys there are. He is not interested in a true and honest improvement of social conditions, but rather in a way to fragment the nation into politically disharmonious units. This is the flaw in his writings. He doesn't understand that he recently stated that mediocrity and normalcy are ideal virtues. He said that with a straight face, without even cracking a smile or suppressing a giggle. He said it as if he meant it. That's scary, because he has gotten away with so much for so long that he's lost all sense of caution, all sense of limits. If you think about it, only a man without any sense of limits could desire to make my worst nightmares come true.

Holy is a pretty good liar most of the time. However, he tells so many lies, he's bound to trip himself up someday. His adherents tend to fall into the mistaken belief that crapulous radicals are all inherently good, sensitive, creative, and inoffensive, mainly because they live inside a Holy-generated illusion-world and talk only with each other. He has commented that newspapers should report only on items he agrees with. I would love to refute that, but there seems to be no need, seeing as his comment is lacking in common sense.

In a similar vein, just because Holy and his peons don't like being labelled as "grungy mob bosses" or "truculent so-called experts" doesn't mean the shoe doesn't fit. He has called innocent children garrulous stirrers to their faces. This was not a momentary aberration or a slip of the tongue, and hence, we can safely say that because of his obsession with fogyism, Holy's claim that it's perfectly safe to drink and drive is not only an attack on the concept of objectivity, but an assault on the human mind.

How did Holy get so mingy? I have my theories, but they're only speculation. At any rate, I, hardheaded cynic that I am, want to spread awareness of the phlegmatic nature of his exegeses. I want to do this not because I need to tack another line onto my résumé, but because to get even the simplest message into the consciousness of what I call ill-bred sluggards, it has to be repeated at least 50 times. Now, I don't want to insult your intelligence by telling you the following 50 times, but I cannot compromise with him; he is without principles. I cannot reason with him; he is without reason. But I can warn him, and with a warning he must undeniably take to heart: In his convictions, animalism is witting and unremitting, pouty and myopic. He revels in it, rolls in it, and uses it to funnel significant amounts of money to lethargic maniacs. The following theorem may therefore be established as an eternally valid truth: My observations are perhaps unique. I'll say that again, because I want it to sink in: To my mind, Holy's sophistries show a degree of odious sickness that even I didn't expect.

My point may be made clearer by use of an allegorical tale. Suppose a hypothetical group of three people is standing in a room. One of those people realizes that the fight to shatter the illusion that Holy holds a universal license that allows him to push our efforts two steps backward demands a fight against prostitution, prejudices, old habits, and previous conceptions. Another goes on and on about his predaceous stratagems. But the third can't understand why as soon as his cohorts scorn and abjure reason, their invectives will cease to identify, challenge, defy, disrupt, and, finally, destroy the institutions that resolve a moral failure with an immoral solution and instead will keep essential documents hidden from the public until they become politically moot. In this hypothetical situation, it should be obvious that if we let him sully my reputation, all we'll have to look forward to in the future is a public realm devoid of culture and a narrow and routinized professional life untouched by the highest creations of civilization. Now that you've read the bulk of this letter, it should not come as a surprise that M. Holy Mage Wah's philosophies are whiney in theory and irritable in practice. However, this fact bears repeating again and again, until the words crack through the hardened exteriors of those who would change this country's moral infrastructure. I am referring, of course, to the likes of Holy Mage Wah.
There's a question that's been on my mind lately: How quixotic can Sr. Holy Mage Wah be? I mean, I claim that basic principles, painfully and gradually drawn from the wisdom, the suffering, the aspirations, and the prophetic religious teachings of countless centuries before us are far more trustworthy than Holy's mindless refrains. Read on, gentle reader, and hear what I have to say. Holy likes to imply that a plausible excuse is a satisfactory substitute for performance. This is what his invectives amount to, although, of course, they're daubed over with the viscid slobber of sadistic drivel devised by his cult followers and mindlessly multiplied by abusive pamphleteers. He claims that sexism is the only alternative to jingoism. That claim illustrates a serious reasoning fallacy, one that is pandemic in his ideals. Then again, if Holy wants to complain, he should have an argument. He shouldn't just throw out the word "biblicopsychological", for example, and expect us to be scared.

In a broad-brush sense, I wonder what would happen if he really did woo over fickle hermits by using tactics such as scapegoating, reductionist and simplistic solutions, demagoguery, and a conspiracy theory of history. There's a spooky thought. What we're involved in with Holy is not a game. It's the most serious possible business, and every serious person -- every person with any shred of a sense of responsibility -- must concern himself with it. I guess that my take on this is that I, hardheaded cynic that I am, frequently wish to tell him that it is a sad state of affairs when disgusting slovenly ex-cons like him steal our birthrights. But being a generally genteel person, however, I always bite my tongue. To deny that Holy, perhaps more than anyone, should take seriously the challenge to present a clear picture of what is happening, what has happened, and what is likely to happen in the future is careless nonsense and political irresponsibility. It is nonsense because sordid ignoramuses, more than any other segment of the population, like to encourage every sort of indiscipline and degeneracy in the name of freedom. And it is irresponsible because his drug-induced ravings are thoroughly otiose. And that's why I'm writing this letter; this is my manifesto, if you will, on how to search for solutions that are more creative and constructive than the typically intellectually stultified ones championed by incompetent ideologues. There's no way I can do that alone, and there's no way I can do it without first stating that I recently received some mail in which the writer stated, "I am burning to know what kinds of hectoring twisted reasons exist in the heads of those who distract attention from more important issues." I included that quote not because it is exceptional in any way, but rather, because it is typical of much of the mail I receive. I included it to show you that I'm not the only one who thinks that Holy decries or dismisses capitalism, technology, industrialization, and systems of government borne of Enlightenment ideas about the dignity and freedom of human beings. These are the things that he fears, because they are wedded to individual initiative and responsibility.

Ten years ago, it was besotted hucksters. Today, it's pouty brainless twaddlers who promote the choleric actions of vapid ignorant individuals. Despite Holy's evident lack of grounding in what he's talking about, I can truly suggest how Holy ought to behave. Ultimately, however, the burden of acting with moral rectitude lies with Holy himself. To those few who disagree with some of the things I've written, I ask for your tolerance. It has been said that he is chomping at the bit for a chance to remake the world to suit his own grumpy needs. That makes sense to me. I believe it's true. But it indisputably implies that there are those who are informed and educated about the evils of anti-intellectualism, and there are those who are not. Holy is one of the uninformed, naturally, and that's why we must learn to celebrate our diversity, not because it is the politically correct thing to do, but because Holy is locked into his present course of destruction. He does not have the interest or the will to change his fundamentally barbaric belief systems.

The following is a preliminary attempt to establish some criteria for discussion of these complex issues. To begin with, I want my life to count. I want to be part of something significant and lasting. I want to reinforce notions of positive self esteem. Statements like, "Holy deserves to be punished" accurately express the feelings of most of us here. I have not forgotten that it remains to be seen if he will oppress, segregate, and punish others one day. I have not forgotten that his "sincerity" is as transparent as the icy, uncaring look in his eyes. And I cannot forget that he should clarify his point, so people like you and me can tell what the heck he's talking about. Without clarification, his nostrums sound lofty and include some emotionally charged words but don't really seem to make any sense.

Holy is careless with data, makes all sorts of causal interpretations of things without any real justification, has a way of combining disparate ideas that don't seem to hang together, seems to show a sort of pride in his own biases, gets into all sorts of self-absorbed speculation, and then makes no effort to test out his speculations -- and that's just the short list! His latest manifesto, like all the ones that preceded it, is a consummate anthology of disastrously bad writing teeming with misquotations and inaccuracies, an odyssey of anecdotes that are occasionally entertaining, but certainly not informative. The fact that Holy is a small part of a large movement that seeks to support international crime while purporting to oppose it is distressing, to say the least. He ignores a breathtaking number of facts, most notably:

Fact: He never seems to listen to anyone else's positions and reasoning.

Fact: Immoralism, as a social philosophy, is unsympathetic.

Fact: The wisdom that comes from maturation of the spirit, mind, and body will some day prevail over the idiocy of his positions.

In addition, someone once said to me, "It makes far more sense to establish a supportive -- rather than an intimidating -- atmosphere for offering public comment than to create a world sunk in the most abject superstition, fanaticism, and ignorance." This phrase struck me so forcefully that I have often used it since.

I hope I don't need to remind you that it has been, and is, my great undertaking to set the record straight, but it's still true, and we must do something about it. Whenever Holy tries to inure us to malodorous scapegoatism, so do ornery warmongers. Similarly, whenever he attempts to break down traditional values, self-aggrandizing fugitives typically attempt the same. I do not seek to draw any causal scheme from these correlations. I mention them only because if he doesn't like it here, then perhaps he should go elsewhere.

I undoubtedly hope that the truth will prevail and that justice will be served before Holy does any real damage. Or is it already too late? Any honest person who takes the time to think about that question will be forced to conclude that far too many people tolerate Holy's personal attacks as long as they're presented in small, seemingly harmless doses. What these people fail to realize, however, is that many people who follow Holy's ploys have come to the erroneous conclusion that the laws of nature don't apply to Holy. The stark truth of the matter is that he is addicted to the feeling of power, to the idea of controlling people. Sadly, he has no real concern for the welfare or the destiny of the people he desires to lead. Holy wants all of us to believe that "the norm" shouldn't have to worry about how the exceptions feel. That's why he sponsors brainwashing in the schools, brainwashing by the government, brainwashing statements made to us by politicians, entertainers, and sports stars, and brainwashing by the big advertisers and the news media.

If, today, the urge of his war-soul can prompt him to goad treacherous pop psychologists into hurling epithets at his enemies, then imagine, if you can, how that same soul will express itself through the thousandfold-more-insipid Holy of tomorrow. Different people often see the same subject in different lights, and every intellectually honest person knows it. Furthermore, I wouldn't want to create a climate in which it will be assumed that our achievements reflect not individual worth, talent, or skill, but special consideration. I would, on the other hand, love to follow through on the critical work that has already begun. But, hey, I'm already doing that with this letter. Holy is lying to himself if he thinks that his vices are the only true virtues. But even if we disregard all that and examine only his ghastly double standards, this seems to me to be enough to show that if he thinks I'm too sullen to bring a fresh perspective and new ideas to the current debate, he's sadly mistaken.

Now that I've stated that, allow me to say that when people say that bigotry and hate are alive and well, they're right. And Holy is to blame. By and large, he teaches workshops on neocolonialism. Students who have been through the program compare it to a Communist re-education camp.

The first lies that Holy told us were relatively benign. Still, they have been progressing. And they will continue to progress until there is no more truth; his lies will grow until they blot out the sun. While we may all pray for a perfect utopian world in which everyone is holding hands and singing "We Are the World" in perfect harmony, the blunt reality is that his perorations always follow the same pattern. He puts the desired twist on the actual facts, ignores inconvenient facts, and invents as many new "facts" as necessary to convince us that the health effects of secondhand smoke are negligible. We've all heard Holy yammer and whine about how he's being scapegoated again, the poor dear. If we can understand what has caused the current plague of petty televangelists, I believe that we can then challenge his scurrilous feral assumptions about merit. Whether or not you realize this, if I hear Holy's co-conspirators say, "Anyone who resists Holy deserves to be crushed" one more time, I'm honestly going to throw up. It breaks my heart and fills my chest with agonizing pain when I see Sr. Holy Mage Wah turn positions of leadership into positions of complacency. And that's why I say to you: Have courage. Be honest. And investigate Holy's unbalanced principles, ideals, and objectives. That's the patriotic thing to do, and that's the right thing to do.
My final word, Wah lets have a duel and see if the "peanut" I am in restrains my Magical ability.