Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2001, 09:52 AM   #1
Sir_Tainly

Last night, i couldn't sleep so i turned on the TV only to find Live baseball. I watched for a bit but I couldn't determine what was going on, the batsman never seemed to hit the ball, and after three misses he wandered off, and some other hapeless individual repeated the same feat! What was going on here, how does the game work, I assumed it was somewhere between rounders and cricket, but now I'm not sure.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 06-07-2001, 10:15 AM   #2
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

umm... u brits r weird
Old 06-07-2001, 10:17 AM   #3
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
umm... u brits r weird
You're the guys that invent a sport where the batsman seemingly has to miss the ball LOL. I seriously want to know how the game is played

------------------

Old 06-07-2001, 10:54 AM   #4
Rikard

You're suppost to hit the ball
If you miss 3 times but you swing you are out and have to leave
If the guiy who throws make it impossible for you to hit
And you don't swing
It's a Wide
4 wides are a free walk to First Base

Now Explain Criquet
I find it very intreging but i don't get squad of it

------------------

The Last Of the Red Fluffies

Member of the Ancients Club (@ age 16 )
High Magician of the Order of the Holy Flame

"Dream a Dreamers Dream And Know It Is But A Dream"

Old 06-07-2001, 10:56 AM   #5
Jimbo
The Magister

I don't know if your baitin' a hook ST but here goes a little bit on baseball.

I don't really know cricket, but what we do is have two teams of 9 players. Each team takes a turn at batting, as batting is how you can score.

We don't call him the batsman, he is the batter.

The other team will have a pitcher who throws the ball across the home plate, and the other team whose batter is up will try and hit it. Baseball pitchers can throw the ball at up to 100mph (thats 120 kph for you all), the ball is about the size of a fist, and dense and hard (another name for the game is hardball). You see why we don't have alot of scoring in baseball, as it is hard to hit the ball, but some people do it very well.

Good to see you enjoying the game, but it is much better at a ball park with a beer and a frank (hotdog).

------------------
Drink and be merry
Jimbo
"Renegade, Rebel, and Rogue"
Old 06-07-2001, 11:11 AM   #6
Sir_Tainly

Thanks guys, I was seriously asking as I watched the game but was mistified as to why things happened when they did.

Ok for Rikard, cricket is a played between to teams of 11 players, and is played over a number of innings (the number depends on length of game). During an innings one team wiil be in bat the other bowling and fielding.

The batting team puts two players on to the field at any one time, and the other team bowls to get those players "out". The idea is that the bowler throws the ball which is normally red an very hard to hit the wooden stakes behind the batsman. These stakes are called Stumps, and along with the wooden bars on top are called the wicket.

each bowler has 6 attempts to bowl the batsman out, and this is called his "over". When the player hits the ball he can run to the other wicket (where the bowler) stands to gain a point, and his number 2 must run from the bowler to the batting end for 1 point. If the fielding team get the ball to either wicket before the fielding team that player is out. Sometimes a batsman will hit a ball to the boundary of the pitch in which case he deosn't need to run as he will score 6 or 4 depending on whether the ball travelled the distance airborne or not.

Hope this explains a little, its much easier to show you on the pitch LOL

------------------

Old 06-07-2001, 11:34 AM   #7
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

A little more on Baseball

The pitcher is trying to strike out the batter. This is accomplished in a combination of ways. 1) The ball is thrown over home plate without the batter swinging, this is a strike. 2) The batter swings at a pitch and misses, this is also a strike. If this happens three times for one batter then he strikes out. Note: there are other complications like foul balls and walks, but I won't explain them

The batter on the otherhand is like a batter in Criquet, he is trying to hit the ball. If he hits it then the defense (opposing players in the field) then try to get him out. This can be done in a couple of ways. They can catch the ball before it hits the ground. Or they can catch the ball (after it hits the ground) and try to throw it to first base before the runner gets to the base. If the runner arrives safely at first base then he remains there while the next batter is up. This repeats until there are three outs per inning.

Baseball notes
There are 9 players on a team
There are 9 innings per game (more if there is a tie)
Each team bats once and plays defense once per inning
Each team is given 3 outs per inning

This of course is not a 'complete' overview but at least might allow you to watch a game and not be totally confused (boredom from watching a game however is gauranteed )

------------------

Ever wonder if illiterate people get the full effect from alphabet soup?

[This message has been edited by Moridin (edited 06-07-2001).]
Old 06-07-2001, 11:37 AM   #8
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
A little more on Baseball

The pitcher is trying to strike out the batter. This is accomplished in a combination of ways. 1) The ball is thrown over home plate without the batter swinging, this is a strike. The batter swings at a pitch and misses, this is also a strike. If this happens three times for one batter then he strikes out. Note: there are other complications like foul balls, but I won't explain them

The batter on the otherhand is like a batter in Criquet, he is trying to hit the ball. If he hits it then the defense (opposing players in the field) then try to get him out. This can be done in a couple of ways. They can catch the ball before it hits the ground. Or they can catch the ball (after it hits the ground) and try to throw it to first base before the runner gets to the base. If the runner arrives safely at first base then he remains there while the next batter is up. This repeats until there are three outs per inning.

Baseball notes
There are 9 players on a team
There are 9 innings per game (more if there is a tie)
Each team bats once and plays defense once per inning
Each team is given 3 outs per inning

This of course is not a 'complete' overview but at least might allow you to watch a game and not be totally confused (boredom from watching a game however is gauranteed )

Thanks Moridin, I get the feeling the game I watch was perhaps not a good introduction to the sport but its more like Cricket than it appeared to be last night.

------------------

Old 06-07-2001, 11:48 AM   #9
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

If you're really wanting to learn the rules of baseball, here is a really great site to go to. There are a lot of intricacies that could take many, many posts to go over....and some people call it a boring sport, whatever.....

http://www.majorleaguebaseball.com

------------------

Protector and Defender of Nature
Awake, Aware and Loving Life to the best of my abilities
Tracker of the fair Cleric Charean
Old 06-07-2001, 11:52 AM   #10
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeeke75:
If you're really wanting to learn the rules of baseball, here is a really great site to go to. There are a lot of intricacies that could take many, many posts to go over....and some people call it a boring sport, whatever.....

http://www.majorleaguebaseball.com

Thanks, I've booked marked it, i'll look at it when I'm not at work. Well I dont want to become a hardcore fan but i thought i ought to know something about the sport, I dont want to be ignorant of it

------------------