Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-07-2001, 03:44 PM   #11
cHiCkEn_HeD
Dungeon Master

Artimes, as far as i am aware, you do not get any damage bonuses from having a high stat in strength. what it DOES give you is the opportunitly to use the big long bows that can deal out some hefty damage (if you're a fighter or ranger that is). there is a sling in the game that gives you a bonus damage because of strength, but im pretty sure thats it.
Old 03-08-2001, 07:24 AM   #12
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Chicken_hed, what Sling is that? I remember a sling like that but I cant remember if its from IWD or BG2.
Also, Arrows are the weapons that actually stick into targets, not the bows, so Arrow Enchantments are the ones that count when determining if you can hit enemies with weapon immunities.
Like say a vampire can only be hurt by +2 weapons or better. Even if you have a +7 bow, you Still won't score any damage if you're using standard arrows. You won't score any damage if you're using +1 Arrows or Arrows of Fire etc.
But equip +2 Arrows and you'll find no problems into turning that vampire into a pincushion.

------------------
Why?
Old 03-08-2001, 02:15 PM   #13
Melusine
Dracolisk

The sling of Seeking +2 has a Strength Bonus (I think it's in the Adventurers Mart but don't quote me on it, as I'm not sure)

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-09-2001, 05:07 PM   #14
Artemis
Dungeon Master

am i wrong in remembering that in BG1 there was a strength bonus with the bow? i recall doing some unreal damage with high STR players like my own, minsc and kivan. in any case, it seems like they have really reduced the strength of the bow in BG2, perhaps with the strength change (unless i AM misremembering) and with the penalty if someone attacks you with a melee weapon and you're still holding a bow. i think it's good for game balance...
Old 03-09-2001, 06:24 PM   #15
cHiCkEn_HeD
Dungeon Master

yup, it is the sling of seeking that gives you a strength bonus. but it is found at the copper coronet, from bernard.
Old 03-10-2001, 02:21 PM   #16
Jimbo
The Magister

Just curious on some things...

As the best arrows are only +2 (and those are to hit only no extra damage), and the arrows of piercing (+4 and the extra damage which is +6), and the arrow of detonation which sounds nice but has no to hit bonuses, so for the higher up mobs, they have limited choices.

Basically on say a mob like the demi lich (+4 to hit), I would need my strong arm bow, and use the arrows of piercing, or I would need to use the short bow of gesen since it has +4 to hit and +4 damage (its makes its own like the tasheron bow).

At least that is what I'm thinking, and my archer is still in development. But to be safe I gave him equal spread of specialization in short and long bow, and his main task is stay out the way, and turn the monsters into pincushions. Heck, I might give him some sling ability, then he could be an allaround missle guy, even though it might have been better to have made him a fighter/mage for the heavy artillery of the group.