Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 07-16-2010, 04:26 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default WoW: Any of you guys on or killed Lich King 25? EDIT: KILLED HIM!!

I need some help with how to kill these damn Valkyrs before they drop people off and having to deal with Defile and all that shit. It's way harder than it is in 10 man because there are 3 of them.

So far we have been successful at:
  • getting them to go in one direction so they are grouped up
  • getting our AOE stuns in (we have no ret pallies in group for Holy Wrath so we're having to use our offtank's Shockwave, then we have 4 rogues that alternate with the stunning and DKs for Chains of Ice and Shaman Earthbind totems)
  • killing at least 2 of them in the 15 secs you need to do it

Each of these fricking things has about 700k health so that's 2.1M health we have to DPS down in 15 secs, which is about 130k raid DPS. Our raid can put out 200k DPS with all CDs and shit but it's always one valkyr we can't get because the raid has to scatter for Defile and we lose about 5 seconds of uptime.

Any suggestions from anyone who has done it? Timber? Lavi (if he's still here lol)?

Last edited by Memnoch; 10-27-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: WoW: Any of you guys on or killed Lich King 25?

Your best bet is to try official forums. Think they have a forum especially for raids and instances iirc. I gave up raiding shortly after Wotlk came out so i'd be no help there.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

Unfortunately the guild i'm currently in is in no way able to even reach the LK, due to a split a few weeks back. We were at Sindragosa at that time, but will have to postpone any progression until we have a decent team again.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Your best bet is to try official forums. Think they have a forum especially for raids and instances iirc. I gave up raiding shortly after Wotlk came out so i'd be no help there.
Done that, we're following the strats but the Valkyrs are a pain. I've asked around at Tankspot too, I'm pretty sure we have the DPS to do it, not sure if we should be AOEing them or focus firing.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:14 AM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Make friends with some of the top guilds in your server and ask them how they did it.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: WoW: Any of you guys on or killed Lich King 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
Done that, we're following the strats but the Valkyrs are a pain. I've asked around at Tankspot too, I'm pretty sure we have the DPS to do it, not sure if we should be AOEing them or focus firing.
I asked a friend of mine who raids alot and his response was either or as far as aoe vs. ff dps goes. He said some guilds FF them down but that they themselves usually just maximize dps on them all. He says the key is to slow and stun them but your dps will be doing combos of aoe, or cleave dmg. Another point mentioned was that paladins are quite useful here because of holy wrath. Prolly not new info but hey, best I could do having not experienced it myself.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
Make friends with some of the top guilds in your server and ask them how they did it.
Well the top guild on my server is also the top US guild in the world, Premonition, so I'm sure they will tell us to fcuk off lol. The other one I could ask is Drawn Together, they're #2/#3 Alliance guild and one of their members is also one of ours, but he hasn't been online in a while. The others tend to be closed-mouthed when talking about stuff like this, especially if it's going to require some time to explain. But yea we've been trying. There's only 11 guilds in our server that have killed LK25, 6 of them Ally. We would be the 7th.

Last edited by Memnoch; 07-19-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
I asked a friend of mine who raids alot and his response was either or as far as aoe vs. ff dps goes. He said some guilds FF them down but that they themselves usually just maximize dps on them all. He says the key is to slow and stun them but your dps will be doing combos of aoe, or cleave dmg. Another point mentioned was that paladins are quite useful here because of holy wrath. Prolly not new info but hey, best I could do having not experienced it myself.
Yep, unfortunately we've gone from having 3 ret pallies at the start of ICC to having none. The only 2 pallies we have in raid are the MT and the MT healer, and the MT has to tank LK. The other class we need for AOE stun would be prot warrior but that would be a waste of a raid spot almost as his DPS would suck. Other than that we got slows like Earthbind, Frost Traps, Piercing Howl as well as the individual stuns from rogues and cats.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah, I mean, if you could recuit or PUG some more ret pallies and dedicate them to the undead, with 2 or 3 holy wraths, alongside hammer of justice and even seal of justice, maybe things would improve. I was curious so I watched some videos of it and it is indded quite a messy battle.

Unfortunately, I stopped raiding because of situations like these. Our GM would become more determined after a failure against a boss, resulting in many nights doing the same runs over and over, and wiping repeatedly until eventually, we finally succeeded. Then, onto the next boss to do the same. While it was challenging to me at first, it stopped becoming fun after a time, thus, I gave up raiding. Not my cup of tea anymore. Of course, over half of WoW's players love it and more power to them. Just I found more fun in rerolling and alts. I think I have played this game to death. Thank god Cataclysm is just around the corner.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I guess what's motivating me is that "I'm" the RL this time lol - there are two of us and we've built our guild from a casual guild that just did 10man Kara (we were ranked outside the top 50 on server) to now being 18th overall. We kinda feel like we've really shaped our guild and my raid awareness and knowledge of what each person is/isn't doing has really gone through the roof - I can look at any guild logs and pretty much know exactly how the fight went. I guess I'm kind of the one pushing now - but it's not to the point where we slavedrive them. We'll alternate these LK25 attempts with fresh runs and make sure someone has the lockout available so we can extend when we want to.