Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-19-2001, 05:45 AM   #1
Bain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

spoilers
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/

i was trying to kill off the demi-lich and feeding it with summons as fodder for its seemingly unlimeted amounts of imprisonment spells when i found out that wizards eyes are immune to it, and arial servents can acctaully hit it
all i did was cast a wizard eye in front of my paladin who had the holy avenger, and it kept casting impris on the eye but not my paladin. while summoning arial servants with my clerics...Made that fight way easy.

[This message has been edited by Bain (edited 08-19-2001).]
Old 08-19-2001, 06:50 AM   #2
Rikard

Bezerker rage makes immune to imprisonment too
also you can give your mage Melfs Minute Meteor as they hurt El Kangaxx aswell

------------------

Old 08-19-2001, 02:15 PM   #3
Legolas the Elven Archer

Or do as I did:
Leave him alone until you've done the asylum & underdark part of the story, pay him a visit and chop him up before he can cast his spells. Works like a charm, every time

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 08-19-2001, 02:22 PM   #4
Ethreal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Cool, I was just about to ask some tips how to beat that beast!

Actually I didn't want to get so powerful tips which makes that battle all way too easy but what is done is done: I can't erase those tips from my brains...so I think I'll use 'em.
Old 08-19-2001, 02:27 PM   #5
Ethreal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas the Elven Archer:
Or do as I did:
Leave him alone until you've done the asylum & underdark part of the story, pay him a visit and chop him up before he can cast his spells. Works like a charm, every time

Hell, I had beated red and black dragon, all quests I could find, came from Underdark when I tried to kill that demi-lich. Neither Minsc or Keldorn could do ANY damage to that lich. I tried with Holy Avenger, Silver Sword and all weapons I had, but no damage made. How could you just "chop him up"? Please, explain.

Old 08-20-2001, 04:52 PM   #6
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethreal:
Hell, I had beated red and black dragon, all quests I could find, came from Underdark when I tried to kill that demi-lich. Neither Minsc or Keldorn could do ANY damage to that lich. I tried with Holy Avenger, Silver Sword and all weapons I had, but no damage made. How could you just "chop him up"? Please, explain.

I think he _may_ cast protection from magical weapons, which means he is protected to a certain extent from the cunning "chopping up" tactic.

Spoiler
The lich in the underdark, whose name also ends in ax, did something similar, and Im not entirely sure how i beat him. My PC equipped Carsomyr and began swiping and everyone else stood around bashing at him and eventually, after rather a long period of "my weapon does nothing" -- especially from Nalia, who was firing regular wooden arrows I discovered later, he went down.

Not sure I got lucky, I had Aerie firing breach and stuff, so maybe that had something to do with it, although, he killed her pretty early.
Old 08-20-2001, 05:13 PM   #7
Legolas the Elven Archer

I'm afraid I can't recall what happened and how exactly, since I only reloaded once (Minsc did get imprsoned the first time and I had no Freedom scroll on me at the time).

My party consisted of me (elven archer, dragon's breath halberd & heartseeker bow), Minsc (Dual-wielding Flail of the ages +3 and Arbaines sword (I think. It's the +2 free action giving shortsword), Valygar (dual-wielding his own sword and something else, also wearing the ring of the ram to provide the killing blow), Jaheira (staff of Rhynn +4), Aerie (Mauler's arm and a sling +2 or +3) and Imoen (armed with something something)

Minsc and Valygar were in front, backed up by Jaheira. Me, Imoen and Aerie were somewhere in the back. Now it might be that some weapons had no effect, and maybe the thing had magical resistance, but I would have remembered everything better if my party didn't finish off the Lich and Demilich versions in just a few minutes, using nothing but Hack 'n Slash and a couple of spells. (It either worked, or I might just have been really very incredably plain lucky)

As for the "Really powerful tips" reply, these are only the main mayor lines of the strategies given here. Try doing a search for Kangaxx and you'll see (though maybe it's best if you didn't)

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 08-20-2001, 07:09 PM   #8
Kitty
Manshoon

I think Kangaxx the Demi-Lich is immune to weapons lesser than +4. I tried Azuredge, all types of arrows, mace of disruption, Daystar and almost all anti-undead weapons. I haven't killed him yet, but I found out the only weapon that could hurt him was the Flame Tongue and Star Darts+5. I guess it's because the Flame Tongue is +4 *against* undead, unlike the mace or Azuredge which just makes *additional* damage to undead.
I thought Daystar would do better, but it's just like the mace or the axe mentioned before. It states that Daystar is +4 against evil creatures, but it does nothing on Kangaxx. Is it possible that the game engine does not consider him as evil???
I haven't tried Carsomyr, though. Time to fight Firkraag and get this baby...at least, it's easier to protect yourself from fire than from imprisonment.
Just another question: does the scroll protection from undead gives yo protection against the demi-lich's imprisonment spell?
Old 08-20-2001, 08:14 PM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Kitty:
I think Kangaxx the Demi-Lich is immune to weapons lesser than +4. I tried Azuredge, all types of arrows, mace of disruption, Daystar and almost all anti-undead weapons. I haven't killed him yet, but I found out the only weapon that could hurt him was the Flame Tongue and Star Darts+5. I guess it's because the Flame Tongue is +4 *against* undead, unlike the mace or Azuredge which just makes *additional* damage to undead.
I thought Daystar would do better, but it's just like the mace or the axe mentioned before. It states that Daystar is +4 against evil creatures, but it does nothing on Kangaxx. Is it possible that the game engine does not consider him as evil???
I haven't tried Carsomyr, though. Time to fight Firkraag and get this baby...at least, it's easier to protect yourself from fire than from imprisonment.
Just another question: does the scroll protection from undead gives yo protection against the demi-lich's imprisonment spell?
Just get Carsomyr, give a protection from undead (or magic) scroll to Keldorn, then let him just hack him apart (solo) in both forms. Beat him in one try, with characters around level 14.

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Old 08-20-2001, 11:07 PM   #10
Kitty
Manshoon

By the way, don't you think Kangaxx the Demi-Lich has a big resemblance with Morte from Planescape:Torment? A small floating skull, with high magic resistances, hard to hit.
Of course, except for the fact Morte is a fighter and he's your friend