Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-15-2001, 04:07 PM   #1
rono
Elite Waterdeep Guard

yes, i'm a newbie. sorry. my question is: which autopause options are the best to use when in combat? for example, the autopause after each character round: do you give orders to all your characters at the pause or do you just give orders to the character that it paused on. i'm just not too comfortable knowing when to give orders to my characters during combat.

Also, any suggestions to what AI script to use for certain characters?
this game is way too involved, i just want to make sure i'm getting the most out of it.

and lastly, do you turn off your party AI when in battle or do you leave it on?
any suggestions that you can give me about anything in this game would be great.

thanks
Old 06-15-2001, 04:10 PM   #2
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Welcome Rono!

I like to set autopause only to activate when an enemy is sighted and when a trap is detected. I find pausing after each round to be tedious. Too much pausing... I have also occasionally set it to pause after each enemy is destroyed...but I don't leave it like that for long, usually.

AI? I typically utilize the defensive scripts that call out missile weapon use first and then melee when the enemy is too close to utilize missile weapons effectively. However, I typically turn the AI off as I can handle my party pretty well without it.

I typically turn the AI off when in battle.

Hope that helps!

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 06-15-2001, 04:11 PM   #3
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, I have mine set to pause for everything when I solo (and I forget to turn it off when I multi, much to the dismay of my fellow party members). But I like to have time to think and work out strategy. I guess I am more "turn based" in my playing style. I do when I solo pretty much assign action to each character. That's the way I play. There is really no right or wrong way, just individual preferences and playing styles. You might to to experiment and find what works best for you.

And BTW, welcome to the board and check out the General Discussions sometime, too!

------------------
O_H_F

Old 06-15-2001, 04:17 PM   #4
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

i only have it set to when an enemy is sighted right now. when i have a thief in my party, i usually have when trap is found on too. when i need things to be slowed down signifigantly, i keep the when enemy is killed option on.

------------------
I'll kidnap ya fer 100, reprogram ya fer 300, and kill ya fer 500! Oh come one! I'll throw in the killin' fer 250!
Old 06-15-2001, 04:33 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Up to you, but for me.

When round ends.
When a spell is casted.
When enemy dies.
When trap found.
When enemy sighted.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

Old 06-15-2001, 05:13 PM   #6
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

For me it's -

Enemy sighted
Trap found
And in big battles only; after a spell is cast and enemy death.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 06-15-2001, 06:01 PM   #7
vesselle
Hathor

rono...

re: ai scripts
the scripts in bg2 are great! the descriptions are pretty good, so read thru them. for a beginner, the ones that don't let you stray too far from the leader during battle are good, because that way they all stay together and you won't lose anyone.
if you choose ai scripts, and turn off ai in battle, you are NOT using the scripts anymore. which means you have to control everything everybody does. that gets tedious and frustrating.
instead, you should assign scripts, mostly defensive ones, except to your party leader. give her an offensive one. give your thief the script for always searching for traps exclusive of everything else. (dont worry, she will still fight when needed)
then set up auto-pause for sighting enemy, detecting traps, casting spells and enemy dying.
play that way for awhile, pausing manually (spacebar) if you see a character acting dumb.
its best to go slow for awhile, that's how you learn what your chars are capable of doing.

here's what i use:

Me: Wizard Slayer (specialized fighter)so i use Fighter3~Spellcaster Attack
Minsc: Spellcaster Defend (for him to protect his witch)~Fighter4
Yoshimo: Thief Adventurer~Thief3
Viconia: Cleric Defensive~Cleric2 (she will heal during battle and defend herself)

*clears her throat*

i use custom scripts from Grog of teambg. i love his scripts. (ps: all the scripts on ga-rpg are his.)

Jaheira: Custom Druid (she uses spells, potions, wands with this script. its so wonderful, i just wanna marry it!)
****you should use Druid Offensive/Defensive~Cleric3 (later you might try Druid Summoner~Cleric4..but you need lots of spells under your belt for that)

Aerie: Custom Cleric (she uses all her stuff effectively...spells,potions, scrolls etc.... okay. so i wanna marry that script too, im a polygamist!*lol*)
****you should use Cleric3 or Mage3, whichever you want to concentrate on with her.

If you notice, the scripts i recommend are a blend of offensive/defensive... with lots of defensive ones... watch how each person reacts in battle with these.
sometimes, you are gonna just blow, and not be happy with how anyone is acting. i know that happens to me. so, i leave ai on, but for a few rounds, i will direct individuals. if i see my mage trying to hit an orc with her bare hand, i get ticked and make her run away! and believe me, sometimes they do the dumbest things in battle.

uh.... sorry if i rambled. it takes a while to get the hang of it. personally, i am still learning stuff, on my 4th time thru. but i find it very worthwhile. this game never ceases to amaze me, the extent to which i find myself totally involved in it.

V***V

[This message has been edited by vesselle (edited 06-15-2001).]
Old 06-15-2001, 06:13 PM   #8
rono
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks for the info Vesselle!
Old 06-15-2001, 06:24 PM   #9
vesselle
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by rono:
thanks for the info Vesselle!
you're welcome!

one thing i left out:
~~~the handiest thing with pausing in battle~~~
when a character is losing hps, you can have them drink a potion. yes! in battle, and its almost instantaneous! i have kept chars from dying with that technique.
(spacebar, right click the potion, spacebar)

oh man! i wonder how many times i have done that. *lol* must be a kajillion, easy.

V***V

Old 06-15-2001, 06:33 PM   #10
Elhardo
The Magister

I must be fair...When on single player I pause ALL THE TIME!
Whever I am going to set an order in tough combat i do...Whenver i am setting spells i do also...Is th easiest way