Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2001, 06:38 PM   #11
Epona
Zartan

Most people find manuals quite boring though, why plough through pages and tables when you can come here and also have a discussion about it?

Most people when phoning somewhere would rather get a human being than an automated switchboard too, it is part of the social nature of humans.

I have to say that I am one of those irritating people who, when I buy a flat-pack DIY assembly bookcase for example, will get out the instruction sheet, read it through twice, then count all the screws and dowels to make sure I have the right number. When I buy a computer game, I read the manual through before installing it.

But not everyone is me, and this board is here for advice, after all? When someone asks about how to do a particular quest, we don't all chant "why don't you read a walkthrough" !! I don't want anyone who comes to this board to feel they have to read every page of every manual before asking a simple query.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Old 03-16-2001, 06:45 PM   #12
Blade
Emerald Dragon

I to find it fustrating how too few read the manuals. In there defense tho most are boring, the comments from two charecters in the manual make it a funny read tho.
Old 03-16-2001, 07:13 PM   #13
deverece
Dungeon Master

You say that the mask will protect from critical hits? Cool. More important than mages wearing it is that Kensai can wear it.
Old 03-16-2001, 07:37 PM   #14
deverece
Dungeon Master

Yo Throntar, I checked the charts in the back of the manual. There does not seem to be a distinction between leather and studded leather. The only distinctions they make is no armor, elven chain and the leather armors. I personally would have thought there would be a penalty because of the weight differences, but the manual doesn't show any.
Old 03-16-2001, 08:21 PM   #15
white heron
Manshoon

Hey Moiraine, that was no dig at you at all btw, and yes....i've seen some terrible,terrible games manuals,in most cases i think the manuals are written before the game is finished,and anything intended for the game which gets left out remains in the manual. ie: reading foreighn languages and climbing walls!
-and Deverence, did you know a Monk can wear Keldorn's armour! (if he has the right stats').

------------------
"And remember what i told you....Walk with rage against those who threaten the great Mother!".
Old 03-18-2001, 11:59 AM   #16
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Thank you to those who said I should have read the manual before asking the question about armor and classes. FYI, I did in fact read the manual through twice and I found the armor section in the back somewhat confusing. I apologize to those who thought asking these questions was stupid.

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Old 03-18-2001, 12:21 PM   #17
Epona
Zartan

I agree, Lady Avalon, the manual can be confusing, especially to those who are new to RPGs, haven't played AD&D and don't have all day to sit and play computer games.

I hope my earlier post didn't sound too harsh, I just get annoyed when people say "read the manual" when someone has asked an honest question. We all had to start somewhere, and a lot of us learned what we know now by asking on this board and getting friendly answers, not by being told to read the manual, which I think is a bit unhelpful.

(OMG I hope this doesn't sound to harsh either, it's just I would like anyone who goes to type 'Read the Manual' to have a think about how that would make THEM look to others on the board)

------------------

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas.
Old 03-18-2001, 12:25 PM   #18
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Avalon:
Thank you to those who said I should have read the manual before asking the question about armor and classes. FYI, I did in fact read the manual through twice and I found the armor section in the back somewhat confusing. I apologize to those who thought asking these questions was stupid.

Well done Lady Avalon, well said. Don't mind Epona here - she has a heart of gold.

------------------
A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 03-18-2001, 12:44 PM   #19
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Well done Lady Avalon, well said. Don't mind Epona here - she has a heart of gold.

ARG - I hope no-one has misunderstood me (tho it wouldn't be the first time)!

Everything I have said has been to support Lady Avalon 100 percent!

Anyone who ever writes 'Read the Manual' will have to get through me first!!!
or 'I'll visit them in the small hours and put a bat up their nightdress' for being so damn unhelpful.

Down with reading the manual! Down with unhelpfulness!

------------------

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas.
Old 03-18-2001, 12:55 PM   #20
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
ARG - I hope no-one has misunderstood me (tho it wouldn't be the first time)!

Everything I have said has been to support Lady Avalon 100 percent!

Anyone who ever writes 'Read the Manual' will have to get through me first!!!
or 'I'll visit them in the small hours and put a bat up their nightdress' for being so damn unhelpful.

Down with reading the manual! Down with unhelpfulness!

right right, but some of us really should read manual. i mean, some of the questions are really... intelligent