Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2003, 07:54 PM   #1
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Someone whom I know has published these 10 things on why the Gamecube is better than the Xbox and PS2. I've enclosed my comments in red, and I'd like to hear yours as well.

10.) The handle. Okay, so it's a little goofy, but imagine trying to take an Xbox with you to a friend's house or on vacation. You would need an industrial crane and a parking permit.
I've carted my Xbox to my Aunt and Uncle's house before in the past with no problems.

9.) It only plays games. That's right. Anyone who tells you that playing DVDs on a game console is a benefit has never had someone monopolize the machine for hours playing Meg Ryan movies while the rental game you have to return in three hours gathers dust.
Ever hear the phrase 'Get more for your money'?

8.) It's more powerful than PS2. PS2 has slower processors and its graphics are noticeably inferior to the GCN's. Sorry--there's nothing very funny about that.
PS2 was released several months ahead of the Gamecube and Xbox; why wasn't it compared to the Xbox? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

7.) Gone platinum. The Platinum GCN is a work of art, shiny and sophisticated. PS2 and Xbox look like every other piece of electronics hardware created in the past 20 years, and dust really shows up on those black casings.
A corny marketing tactic; only proves that a lot of people didn’t buy it when it first came out.

6.) Controller design. The PS2 Controller has way too many buttons, and the Xbox Controller was designed for a giant or an octopus. Ah, but the GCN Controller is elegant and practical--an extension of the human spirit; an epiphany in plastic; the ultimate interface between mind, body and technology.
I have reasonably small hands, yet can whip through Halo levels with relative ease.

5.) Experience. Nintendo has consistently produced the highest quality video games for more than two decades dating back to Donkey Kong. You can bet that Nintendo will continue to do so in the future. Twenty years ago, Sony was making Betamax tape machines and Microsoft hadn't even come up with Windows. What will they be doing tomorrow?
Nintendo has marketing issues; the N64 was revolutionary, yet after the introduction of the Gamecube they quit marketing those games. Sony is still making PS1 games, and has made it possible to play those on the PS2.

4.) The incredible freedom of the WaveBird Controller. You can even play from the bathroom. Let freedom ring!
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1 [img]tongue.gif[/img]

3.) Game Boy Player. More than a hundred million people have Game Boys, and we suspect that most of them own a game or two. With the Game Boy Player, all those millions of deserving gamers will be able to play their games on Nintendo GameCube as well as on their Game Boys.
A 16 pixel game is a 16 pixel game no matter how big the screen is..

2.) Connectivity. Sony and Microsoft can't do it because they don't have Game Boy. They have robotic dogs and word processors. Let's face it, they're not really game companies. But Nintendo does only games, which is why Nintendo innovates ways to play--linking consoles, swiping cards, visiting villages filled with animals and sailing the high seas in a talking boat.
Xbox has system links, PS2 has PS1 game compatibility, and both systems have online play.

1.) Exclusitivity. The GCN offers the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil Zero, Super Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Mario Kart, Metroid 2, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike, Pikmin II, Resident Evil 4 and Soul Calibur II as Link. (That's 15 exclusive reasons GCN reighns supreme.) Try naming 15 exclusive hit PS2 titles. As for Xbox, you can count the number of exclusive hit titles for it on one finger.
I think for every exclusive game on the Gamecube, there are 2 on the PS2. Here's what I got for the Xbox:

1) Halo
2) Halo 2
3) MechAssault
4) Sudeki
5) Serious Sam
6) Steel Battalion
7) Nightcaster
8) New Legends
9) Fable
10) Enclave
11) BC
12) Azurik
13) Amped
14) Amped 2
Soul Calibur 2 is coming out in August for the Xbox, so that's only 14.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:54 PM   #2
GForce

10) Xbox is not super big. IMO it's the same size as PS2 and size doesn't matter. It's the quality that counts.
9) I don't have a seperate DVD player so I use the Xbox. That's a two-in-one console. Moneysaver.
8) Meh. I don't care about power. Just the games and fun factor.
7) Meh.
6) The Controller S for Xbox is the best controller I've ever had. Wished they had one for the PC.
5) See 8 and 7
4) Huh? Playing from the bathroom? He must be addicted to want to play there. get a life. [img]smile.gif[/img]
3) Who's Game Boy? Who cares? Games all day make Gforce a crazy man.
2) Yeah. What Nanobyte said.
1) Mmmm. Halo2.

PS - This is not a diss on the GC. All are great consoles. I wanted only one so I picked Xbox. Too much gaming makes my head spin. Nature and the outdoors is my primary sojourn.

Old 07-30-2003, 09:42 PM   #3
Nanobyte

Quote:
Originally posted by GForce:
All are great consoles.
Indeed. Some of the games listed in #1 are a few that I wish I could try out, but I prefer to have my Xbox over all else.

BTW, I just found out that this list was actually sent to Nintendo and disclosed in one of their recent issues. The person whom I spoke of merely agreed with it. Sorry if there was any confusion.

[ 07-30-2003, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Nanobyte ]
Old 07-30-2003, 10:00 PM   #4
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

10.) The handle. Okay, so it's a little goofy, but imagine trying to take an Xbox with you to a friend's house or on vacation. You would need an industrial crane and a parking permit.

I too have carried my Xbox to others houses, without too many problems.

9.) It only plays games. That's right. Anyone who tells you that playing DVDs on a game console is a benefit has never had someone monopolize the machine for hours playing Meg Ryan movies while the rental game you have to return in three hours gathers dust.

*shrug* I dont care really.

8.) It's more powerful than PS2. PS2 has slower processors and its graphics are noticeably inferior to the GCN's. Sorry--there's nothing very funny about that.

Yeah, where is the Xbox mention in this?

7.) Gone platinum. The Platinum GCN is a work of art, shiny and sophisticated. PS2 and Xbox look like every other piece of electronics hardware created in the past 20 years, and dust really shows up on those black casings.

I can kind of see his point here, the PS2 does look like an older machine.

6.) Controller design. The PS2 Controller has way too many buttons, and the Xbox Controller was designed for a giant or an octopus. Ah, but the GCN Controller is elegant and practical--an extension of the human spirit; an epiphany in plastic; the ultimate interface between mind, body and technology.

I like the Xbox controller design..But I have had problems with the durabilty of Xbox controllers, but maybe thats just me.

5.) Experience. Nintendo has consistently produced the highest quality video games for more than two decades dating back to Donkey Kong. You can bet that Nintendo will continue to do so in the future. Twenty years ago, Sony was making Betamax tape machines and Microsoft hadn't even come up with Windows. What will they be doing tomorrow?

Who cares about tomorrow, as far as gaming goes?

4.) The incredible freedom of the WaveBird Controller. You can even play from the bathroom. Let freedom ring!

See No.9

3.) Game Boy Player. More than a hundred million people have Game Boys, and we suspect that most of them own a game or two. With the Game Boy Player, all those millions of deserving gamers will be able to play their games on Nintendo GameCube as well as on their Game Boys.

Never had a game boy, never wanted one either.

2.) Connectivity. Sony and Microsoft can't do it because they don't have Game Boy. They have robotic dogs and word processors. Let's face it, they're not really game companies. But Nintendo does only games, which is why Nintendo innovates ways to play--linking consoles, swiping cards, visiting villages filled with animals and sailing the high seas in a talking boat.

I think whoever wrote this write up needs more information about the systems..

1.) Exclusitivity. The GCN offers the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil Zero, Super Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Mario Kart, Metroid 2, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike, Pikmin II, Resident Evil 4 and Soul Calibur II as Link. (That's 15 exclusive reasons GCN reighns supreme.) Try naming 15 exclusive hit PS2 titles. As for Xbox, you can count the number of exclusive hit titles for it on one finger.

Halo...N'uff said.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 07-31-2003, 05:35 AM   #5
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

* looks up from his gamecube... hey..! okay firstly have any of you ever played a gamecube? hhmmm as a total nerd i admit i own all 3 consoles (although im trying to flog the ps2 the games for it have gone so downhill) here's my rating on the 3 in order of all out greatness - 3.PS2
2.X-Box
1.Gamecube
i feel PS2 is the weakest now as its getting dated and the variety of solid new games coming out is getting pretty stale no?
Yes the X-box is awesome and although linking them up for a mini lan on Halo is cool there are only a handful of games that even interest me ( And Halo 2 aint out yet is it? so it doesnt count)
But the Gamecube - soooooooooooooooo many awesome games and such a variety too have any of you even seen super monkey ball or any of the resident evil series they are all so good seriously guys gamecube owns

peaceout yo
Old 07-31-2003, 09:01 AM   #6
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:

I think for every exclusive game on the Gamecube, there are 2 on the PS2. Here's what I got for the Xbox:

1) Halo
2) Halo 2
3) MechAssault
4) Sudeki
5) Serious Sam
6) Steel Battalion
7) Nightcaster
8) New Legends
9) Fable
10) Enclave
11) BC
12) Azurik
13) Amped
14) Amped 2
halo's coming out on the PC, i've heard halo 2 will eventually come out on PC, serious sam was out on the PC way before X-box and soul calibur will be coming out on everything exept PC. also the only game i actually wanna play on the X-box list is fable as it sounds.....amazing....

so all in all i belive the PC kicks all the systems to the kurb...especially seeing as someone, somewhere is almsot certainly working on an emulator for the above. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
but i must admit, i do want an X-box...even though my least favorite compony made it...not microsoft(which i don't mind) but microsoft games *shudders*
and oh yeh...already have the otehr 2, PS2 rocks...and the Gamecube Absolutely ROCKS!! (i'm addicted to zelda)
Old 07-31-2003, 09:17 AM   #7
Zero Alpha

Quote:
Someone whom I know has published these 10 things on why the Gamecube is better than the Xbox and PS2. I've enclosed my comments in red, and I'd like to hear yours as well.

I've carted my Xbox to my Aunt and Uncle's house before in the past with no problems.
yeah, but have you ever tried it while piled high with games and accesories . its easier with a gamecube

More what? everyone i know has either a PS2 or a DVD player, AND one on their pc! why would you need another one? oh, and to enable it on the xbox you have to buy somthing extra - not value for money, a marketing tactic

PS2 was released several months ahead of the Gamecube and Xbox; why wasn't it compared to the Xbox? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Power means nothing anyway. the xbox is techniacaly the most 'powerful' but thats only counted in clock cycles. if you were to include the emotion engine (ps2) and whatever chipset nintendo are using to produce good graphics in a fight against the xboxes geforce2/3 the xbox is down and out. remember clock cycles mean little when youve developed a specific games chipset.

A corny marketing tactic; only proves that a lot of people didn’t buy it when it first came out.
Granted, a different colour is just cheap. but it wouldnt have gone platinum unless there was serious interest - remember game companies make a loss on consoles

I have reasonably small hands, yet can whip through Halo levels with relative ease.
the number one general complaint about the xbox is that the original controler is too big

Nintendo has marketing issues; the N64 was revolutionary, yet after the introduction of the Gamecube they quit marketing those games. Sony is still making PS1 games, and has made it possible to play those on the PS2.
umm, you havent actualy said anything about this point. all hes saying is nintendo have much more expierince than the contenders, and youve countered with look at the backwards compatability. what?

what both of you fail to relaise is that every system everwhere has some wireless version of its control when there is enough interest

the game boy player is very gimmicky, but have you ever tried to play a GBA? uless you have a halogen football stadium lamp in your living room, this is a great at home alternative

Xbox has system links, PS2 has PS1 game compatibility, and both systems have online play.
they all have braudband now. thats kind of standard now

1) HaloThis was intended for pc
2) Halo 2 Not out yet!
3) MechAssault
4) Sudeki
5) Serious Sam Was on PC first
6) Steel Battalion
7) Nightcaster
8) New Legends
9) Fable
10) Enclave this is pc game
11) BC
12) Azurik
13) Amped
14) Amped 2
Old 07-31-2003, 09:30 AM   #8
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

See... this is why I bought a Gamecube AND an X-box...

PS: Get PSO for both, Be Happy!
Old 07-31-2003, 09:54 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

X-box has KOTOR.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:36 AM   #10
Nanobyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Alpha:
quote:

yeah, but have you ever tried it while piled high with games and accesories . its easier with a gamecube
Yeah, I guess it would. I don't have that many games and hardly any accessories, but there are several methods of carrying multiple items at one time. A clothes basket for example.

More what? everyone i know has either a PS2 or a DVD player, AND one on their pc! why would you need another one? oh, and to enable it on the xbox you have to buy somthing extra - not value for money, a marketing tactic
When I got my Xbox two years ago, the DVD accessory came with the purchase.

Power means nothing anyway. the xbox is techniacaly the most 'powerful' but thats only counted in clock cycles. if you were to include the emotion engine (ps2) and whatever chipset nintendo are using to produce good graphics in a fight against the xboxes geforce2/3 the xbox is down and out. remember clock cycles mean little when youve developed a specific games chipset.
Games are really the only reason I own a console, I don't pay much attention to their power. Just trying to prove a point.

Granted, a different colour is just cheap. but it wouldnt have gone platinum unless there was serious interest - remember game companies make a loss on consoles
I suppose. Again, color is not important when I'm deciding on a console to buy.

the number one general complaint about the xbox is that the original controler is too big
That Madcatz company has made several alternate controllers for the system, I'm sure there is bound to be at least one that isn't as bulky.

umm, you havent actualy said anything about this point. all hes saying is nintendo have much more expierince than the contenders, and youve countered with look at the backwards compatability. what?
A goof? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Nintendo makes good games, yes. Microsoft doesn't, yes. But the companies that work with Microsoft make excellent games; Bungie for example.

what both of you fail to relaise is that every system everwhere has some wireless version of its control when there is enough interest
Just trying to prove a point.

the game boy player is very gimmicky, but have you ever tried to play a GBA? uless you have a halogen football stadium lamp in your living room, this is a great at home alternative
I thought the newest GB had built-in lighting? I've not really kept up with Nintendo since the N64 and GBC.

they all have braudband now. thats kind of standard now
Saying that the Gamecube is the only system with connectivity, no. Swiping cards and talking boats aren't really my thing anyway..

1) Halo This was intended for pc It was? Is that why it came out a year before it's release on the PC? I do believe at the time it was intended to be for the Xbox alone, until Microsoft decided they needed more money.
2) Halo 2 Not out yet! Aren't there any of the ones listed above that have not been released yet? Let's see, Pikmin 2 for example.
3) MechAssault
4) Sudeki
5) Serious Sam Was on PC first Both systems are Microsoft owned, so doesn't that still make it exclusive?
6) Steel Battalion
7) Nightcaster
8) New Legends
9) Fable
10) Enclave this is pc game Same applies here as #5
11) BC
12) Azurik
13) Amped
14) Amped 2
[/b][/QUOTE]Now don't get me wrong, I'd enjoy to have all these systems for individual reasons. But saying one is better than the other is an open-ended arguement.