Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Yeah, it's not a new game anymore, but I just finished it on Insane difficulty and thought I would brag

Frikken awesome game!
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Kudos to ya! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
Thoran
Galvatron

Has M$ changed its stupid rule about being able to play with a keyboard and mouse yet? Last I heard they weren't allowing it to keep online play 'fair'... lame.

I'd rather have bamboo shoots jammed under my fingernails than play a shooter with a console controller.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

That just makes me laugh.

All you hear is console guys trashing the keyboard/mouse combination, yet here is a tacit admission that it's superior.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:20 AM   #5
Thoran
Galvatron

LOL... that's funny. In all my years of LAN gaming with shooters I've never seen anyone with a console controller or joystick do any better than a 1:4 or 1:5 kill ratio against a kb/mouse... and I've seen a whole lot of 1:10+ ratios.

They simply don't have the control with a stick that you do with a mouse. Motion control is second order with a joystick(you control velocity not position), and your brain is MUCH better at controlling first order (directly controlling position) since that's what it does for normal motion.

I'd strongly suspect that any console kid trash talking kb/mouse control has never actually played against someone with a kb/mouse. I watched the gameplay vid's for Gears of War (very cool looking game btw), console control is reduced to a series of "move to the next hiding spot" commands... might as well use button A to command the move and button B to pop out and shoot. The gameplay has none of the fluidity that marks a great fps gamer (using a mouse)... and loses most of the immersion (since your control of your character is detached). I'd much rather have a good motion control interface with duck and lean controls to keep the immersion level up.

[ 03-26-2007, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Thoran ]
Old 03-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Gears of War actually has some really good gameplay. I've never seen a game use the environment so well. I'd say a strategic shooter where you can use pretty much any objects/wall to hide and shoot from behind is way better than a "bare rooms where everyone jump all over the place" type of shooter like we get on pc.

That said, I totally suck at playing shooters with a controller and really wish they'd make Gears of War for the pc so that I could kick ass too.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
Thoran
Galvatron

Luvian have you played Half Life 2? While Gears of War looks prettier than any shooter I've ever seen, gameplay didn't feel up to HL2 standards (or M&M Dark Messiah), more like Call of Duty (which is a good game... but no HL2). COD1 & 2 are war games where effective use of cover is critical to success. In HL2 and DM that's kicked up a notch by making cover interactive... pick it up and carry it with you or throw it at a bad guy, or use dynamic elements of the setting to take them out.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

There are some PC games that use the environment too that's true. But not like Gears of Wars use it. The way the characters move and interact with it is really nice. For example you can cover yourself against something, and just put your gun out and blind fire, things like this that rally make gameplay interesting. It's certainly a great game.

[ 03-27-2007, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #9
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

I agree, frickin excellent game, especially online. Although, I gotta tell ya, Resistance: Fall of Man, in my oppinion, is a better game. And on the keyboard n mouse/ controller thread, Ive always like playing shooters on the console but like rpg and rts games on the computer.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:14 AM   #10
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Balintherlas:
I agree, frickin excellent game, especially online. Although, I gotta tell ya, Resistance: Fall of Man, in my oppinion, is a better game. And on the keyboard n mouse/ controller thread, Ive always like playing shooters on the console but like rpg and rts games on the computer.
Wow, are you serious? I just finished Resistance and I thought it was pretty crap!

It had a lot of potential, but the story just didnt draw me in with action like GOW did.

I dunno, apparently a lot of people like the game, however I just found it boring (Visual quality generally plays a big part in my judgement of most games, and there is no game that I have played yet that compares with GOW)
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote