Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2002, 07:40 PM   #1
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

ok here goes I know I wil lsound stupid to ask this but what they hey.
Ok here the higher ac is better. The problem i am having is with the Dex modifiers and bonus ac. Here is an example. I am wearign hide+2 its base is ac3 +2i have a ac with it of 19. There is some wolf armor that has a lower base ac of only 1 but is ac+ 3when i wear it my ac drops to 18 only 1 poitn less. Additionaly it shows a armor modify of -1 as opposed to 0. Also it shows a dex limit of 8 as opposed to 4. How does that all work? Does the armor mod not show as ac but has an effect on you beign hit or reducign damage? What does the dex limit do.

Next question on that wolf armor it not only has a ac+3 but also has a second ac mod vs langthropes. is that in addion to the nomral ac mod ie woudl it then become +ac6 instead of +3AC?

At over 16000 to buy it i hate to waste money. I tdoes havea few other buffs but those are the ones I do nto understand.

Also what do al lthese armor type number mean is Armor type 1 2 3 and so forth?

Oh one more question. I know that rangers lose the abilites if they armor up to much. Does ti happen with anythign over light armor or are there types of medium they can wear? The reason I ask is i got Broewende armor from a quest. It has a restriction of lvl 11 to wear so I can't wear it yet nor check to see if I lose my ranger skills when i put it on ( I do nto hear any metal sounds when i move it aroudn my inventory so i thought it might not be metal) Just wonderign if I can use this next level or shoudl I just sell it?

[ 06-24-2002, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Lanthir ]
Old 06-24-2002, 08:28 PM   #2
DEADMAN
Manshoon

Lets see if this helps, in 3rd ed the higher the better. The basics are AC= 10+ dex mod+ armor mod, for example, if I wear a suit of full plate with a dex of 16, this is 19, which is 10+1+8. I only recieve a dex mod of +1 because full plate only allows a max dex mod of +1 no matter how good my modifier. so on your question on wolf armor with a dex limit of 8, means that you can have a +8 mod to your AC by dex alone if your modifier went that high, which your not going to see without a lot of magic.

On armor, the basics to look for are Ac mod, max dex mod, and Armor check penalty. This is how good the armor is in protecting you, how much of your positive dex bonus you get to use, and what kind of neg modifier you suffer to certain skill checks like hide because of how cumbersome the armor is. So your wolf armor by the sounds of it suffers a -1 to checks on certain skills. and yes it would be +6 if the armor started at 3 with a +3 bonus against lyncanthropes.

Armor type beyong light med and heavy I cant say about since I haven't been able to get a copy of the game yet .

I hope this helps more than confuse, please ask if you need some clarification ,I'm doing this at work so I dont have my books with me, but for example here is a suit of full plate: AC 9 Max dex of +1 check penalty of -6.

Good gaming
Old 06-24-2002, 08:36 PM   #3
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

cool ok if i got it right even though it might have 1 less ac if it has double the dex benifit and 1 less armor modifer ie say 0 instead of neg1 it might workout to better armor in the long run right? Let alone v those pesky werewolves
Old 06-25-2002, 09:52 PM   #4
DEADMAN
Manshoon

The armor would be good if running into werewolves, specialy as a ranger since youy want to keep your armor light. The reason for this is that some of your ranger abilities can only be used with light armor. With this armor your Ac would be higher against lyncanthropes, however to use the full dex benifit of this armor, you would need a min dex of 19 or higher(possible with some of the non human races like an elf).Without this dex bonus your hide armor would provide a better AC. If it doesn't have a neg armor check mod it probably still work out better,because this improves your skill checks like hide and if you do have a dex mod better than +4 it a def for me, till something better comes along, like enchanted mithril chain [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Hope this helps