Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 09-03-2004, 11:37 AM   #1
Ward
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi Everyone,
I've tried to install the patch but I get the following message:-" this application has failed to start because MSS32.DLL was not found.Re-installing the application may fix this problem"This probably means something to you clever people,but I don't have a clue!Does re-installing the application refer to the patch or the game?I've re-installed the patch but it has made no difference.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... that's not good. I last installed the patch by simply copying over the three or four files in it. The odds are better that that .dll file is missing or corrupt. Can you find it on your system?

I'll have to take a look around later for what it really means...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
jsalsb
Elminster

Hi Ward.

Are you sure it's exactly "mss32.dll"? not a slightly different filename? Because I have nothing by that name in any directory on any of my systems (although many closely named files). If by chance the name is wrong, then perhaps try getting the right filename and copying the file from some other computer to the same directory on yours. (I'd email it to you but most servers won't allow sending of .dll files)

Just occurred to me: what windows are you running? I'm on XP so if you are on a different version, I might not actually have that dll.

When "installing" the patch, did you just copy and paste the new extracted files into the W&W directory? Not try to run the deep6.exe file?

good luck! I'll help more if I can!
Old 09-03-2004, 02:40 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Are you sure you need/want the patch???

Generally we only recommend that players try using the patch if all other options have failed first. I've never patched my game and never had any difficulties. In the Best Tips thread there is a list of what the patch does do and what it takes away as well.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:59 PM   #5
Ward
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi All,
Sorry I'm so late replying but I forgot to tick the "send Email when I get a reply" box and I just logged in on an offchance!
I'm using Win.xp pro. and I both copied and pasted AND ran the deep6exe.file,was that my mistake?
Many thanks for all of your help,
Ward
Old 09-03-2004, 04:45 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The deep6.exe file is the actual W&W program. So if you tried to run it from the patch directory, it plum won't work

You need to copy it and the rest of the patch files to the W&W directory. They'll replace existing files, and once that's done, you simply run W&W like normal and you're now patched

If you're a wee bit paranoid like me, you might also have copied the original files to a different name so that if you want, you can unpatch fairly quickly. But that's not a required step...

So... let us know how that goes. My gaming machine won't be available until later tonight, so I can't check anything at the moment. But I will later...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
Ward
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi Bungleau,
Yes that seems to work fine,up until now I've been starting the game via the Auto-run on the cd,but now it starts with deep6 exe.
Many thanks for all the help,
Ward