Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 08:26 AM   #21
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Mack_Attack:
I was on his website and seen Shadowmarch. I take it the first one was good??
The first was very good, and the second so far is also excellent. Tad has a great plot, engaging characters and a very novel fantasy setting in this series. His writing style isn't as 'gritty' or modern as Martin, but is certainly more so than traditional High Fantasy (Tolkien, Jordan, etc...). The only downside is that he lets an aweful lot of modern concepts of relationships and communications directly translate into his works (to the point that he comes accross as preachy on occasion)... moreso than most other fantasy authors. Some of his supporting characters seem obviously included as a tool to advance the plot. He also has some very young main characters in this series... yet he seems to have trouble writing in other than an adult 'voice', so you get the idea that they're all much older than he keeps saying they are.

[ 04-25-2007, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Thoran ]
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:07 PM   #22
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

If you liked Ringworld, you'll probably like Peter F. Hamilton.

His Greg Mandel series deals with a psychic detective.

His Night's Dawn Trilogy (set in the confederation universe) is spectacular space opera with a sense of wonder reminiscewnt of Nivens work, if somewhat more graphic. This was an instant classic when it hit the shelves.

The commonwealth saga is his current serial, with the novel Judas Unchained being the current release. Awesome series so far - I'm still reading Judas Unchained.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #23
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i just got this book (on sale), The Bastard King by Dan Chernenko. Its a short and good novel ( I am halfway thru). Its more politics and its fast pace but there is definitly magic involved although not much description in regards to sword fighting or battles.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:49 PM   #24
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Not sure if it's been mentioned, I'm feeling too lazy to scan all the posts, but...

I might suggest "Otherland" by Tad Williams, just got the book this past thursday evening, and I'm 400 pages in. It's pretty incredible, at least it's held my attention so far, and I find myself debating to read the book, or play computer games. The book tends to win the fight.

At any rate it's an awesome book that I'm sure you should enjoy.

Add- hehe, just saw Thoran's post above, right on the nose there . I read Williams' Memory Sorrow and Thorn Books, hooked the whole time, which is why I chose to check out Otherland, and I'm probably set for reading til christmas.

[ 04-29-2007, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Firestormalpha ]

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #25
Thoran
Galvatron

I've got to ammend my comments... I just finished the second book of the Shadowmarch trilogy, and Tad has done better with young characters. He still ascribes a fair amount of adult thought to some of them... especially a Princess who if anything should be MORE pampered and childish than an average child. In general though he does ok... and it's a pretty small nit to pick in what is a great series overall.

If he could ditch the P.C. crap that seeps into his writing like the subtle stench of 'fertilizer' in a field of flowers he'd be right on top of my favorite authors list.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:46 AM   #26
Huwge
Dungeon Master

The Banned and the Banished series by James Clemens seems to fit the bill. On the second book now....good stuff