Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2007, 03:34 AM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
Hmm, tough choice, I have driven both (only the Audi in poor icy weather though) and must say that I was fairly impressed by it's handeling, however I know two people that swear by the RX-8's and would never stray....

I can't give you a definate answer, but I can say that both are good choices!
Icy weather? In Orange? When was that? [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:21 AM   #12
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

Go with FWD not RWD, I've had both and never had much of a problem with it. The RWD pickup that I have now really sucked this winter - I even did a 360 (or was it a 720) on the highway on my way home one night. Death rides in bad weather are not fun.
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:34 AM   #13
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
Hmm, tough choice, I have driven both (only the Audi in poor icy weather though) and must say that I was fairly impressed by it's handeling, however I know two people that swear by the RX-8's and would never stray....

I can't give you a definate answer, but I can say that both are good choices!
Icy weather? In Orange? When was that? [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Hehe, Orange is probably the coldest place in NSW! Was about a year ago though
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:27 AM   #14
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Whey you say much poorer, what do you mean specifically? Have you ever been in a situation where you can't accelerate your car forward at all?
Yes. It's VERY easy to get stuck with RWD. Taking a RWD car up a steep hill can also be a difficult balancing act.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:32 AM   #15
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Agreed, I would generally prefer an AWD in icy conditions, everybit helps when you hit that ice, and as Sir K said, rear wheel driving can be a nightmare uphill in the wet/ice.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Echoing the call to go with the FWD! Having lived in the Northeast a long time I can definitely tell you they do better in the snow and ice than RWD. Did the whole skid and spin out thing and hit a tree with my RWD in the old days so I much prefer the FWD now!

The Mazda's a nice car but I'd say try 'em both out and see what you feel best in!

PS: 'Grats on the job offer, Maz!

[ 04-03-2007, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 04-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #17
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

One good thing about RWD, however, is that if you suddenly find yourself going a little too fast around a corner that the instinctive reaction (lift off the accelerator) is the correct one, however with FWD it may be already too late for corrective action, and that instinctive reaction is exactly the wrong one to take most of the time.

The lesson? With FWD, it's essential to know your limits and not to exceed them. It also means that inexperienced drivers might be better off driving RWD - even though they might get stuck easier.

I'd also like to add: it really is an absolute necessity to have GOOD winter tires, and four of them, on your car regardless of what you choose.

Don't just buy them for the driving wheels. The winter tread also aids braking and steering functions.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:59 AM   #18
Target
Red Dragon

Drive them both and see which you like best, (or has someone already said that )
Personally I would go for the RX-8 on a survey I saw about people claiming on car warranties Mazda had the least claims, meaning possibly that there cars don’t breakdown as much as others?? Also as Mazda is owned / part owned by Ford there should be no probs getting parts if needed.
My Father has a RX-8 but has to keep topping up the oil as it burns a lot so you’ll need to factor that cost in, but it is great to drive and a lot of fun.
I’ve got a Volvo XC90 and must say I love it, would be perfect for those icy conditions. Other car is a Mazda MX-5 which is a lot of fun to drive.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #19
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I think the Audi A3 is a nicer model, or if you can find one at your price......A VW R32

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Target:

My Father has a RX-8 but has to keep topping up the oil as it burns a lot so you’ll need to factor that cost in, but it is great to drive and a lot of fun.
Oh no...shades of my Alfa!

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote