Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2002, 04:47 PM   #51
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Glorfindel:
So instead lets talk about Kiwis and places over at NZ.... I have never been to New Zealand but I hear that they shot LoTR there.... Am i right???

True, they did shoot LoTR here.

All the insomniacs had better be on tonight!

Do you have MSN Glorfindel?
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 01-23-2002, 07:37 PM   #52
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

o o O O(Who left all the dead badgers on this thread??? I better send somone to pick those up.) O O o o
Is anyone gonna be on tonight? If so I think we should discuss the global socio-cultural effects of Americanism on the traditions and mores(pronounced MORE-rays) of nontechnological and third world countries. What do you folks think?
Well either that or we could just talk about how cool LoTR was. Whichever, its up to you all.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:59 PM   #53
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

I will be on a bit later (3-4hrs) and I will discuss that with you Azarel. [img]smile.gif[/img]
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 01-24-2002, 02:09 AM   #54
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

the cinematography in Lotr just totally blew me away. when they would do those shots through thouse caverns where all the orcs and stuff were was just amazing.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:30 AM   #55
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Yeah, some of it is really good. They used so many variations on shots in the battle scenes.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:01 AM   #56
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Am I the only insomniac here? I'm not really an insomniac, its just my time zone.

If anyone else is on, come and chat with me I have AIM, MSN, ICQ.

MWAHAHAHAHAH I am Lord Insomniac!
Old 01-24-2002, 03:06 AM   #57
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Personally I think that the global socio-cultural effects of Americanism on the traditions and mores of nontechnological and third world countries is an inevitabal but sad realization. I doubt there is any country in this world that you can escape from Americanisation, and the state of third world debt will only add to this in the future.
IMO change has to happen, it's what the human race does best, if we can't adapt we're gonna get left behind, and now there's never been a better chance for the lesser developed nations to catch up!
I have no idea what I've just written (I don't even know if it makes sense - it started out as a joke and I forgot what the punchline was going to be!)hehe - leave me alone I'm tired

LotR was a great movie and I fully recommend seeing it, but if I had to nitpick there were a few things that could have been done better i.e. the arrows hitting Boromir in the same place twice. The scenery was awesome, I do a bit of tramping and did the Ruapehu round the mountain last year and could pick out bits here and there (the battle at the start) but a lot of it was remastered to make it look even more like a fantasy setting. See y'all 2morrow, gd nt
Old 01-24-2002, 03:16 AM   #58
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Downunda:
Personally I think that the global socio-cultural effects of Americanism on the traditions and mores of nontechnological and third world countries is an inevitabal but sad realization. I doubt there is any country in this world that you can escape from Americanisation, and the state of third world debt will only add to this in the future.
IMO change has to happen, it's what the human race does best, if we can't adapt we're gonna get left behind, and now there's never been a better chance for the lesser developed nations to catch up!
I have no idea what I've just written (I don't even know if it makes sense - it started out as a joke and I forgot what the punchline was going to be!)hehe - leave me alone I'm tired

Very true. I believe that the on-going "Americanisation" is good for global security and stability. Especially considering the condition of the Middle East at the moment.
In regards to America helping 3rd world nations - I think this is a good thing as a humanitarian, America can certainly improve the living conditions of millions of people worldwide.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Scholarcs ]

Old 01-24-2002, 04:31 PM   #59
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Granted we can and do help out third world countries, but is the price they pay for it really worthn it to them. I mean sacfricing a part of your strong and independent culture, to have America help you out, I just dont know if thats really worth it. Having America help you out means owing America. Its like a mob movie, when the don helps you out once you owe the don. I mean you dont know when hes going to ask or what hes going to ask for, but looming in the back of your mind you know that hes going to ask a favor you, and its probably not going to be something you want to do. As for how Americanism fits into the picture, with American helps come american products american troops(at times)and with all that comes american ideas and the american culture. Is the actual help that america will give you worth all that cultural influence plus, owing that favor? Thats just something countries have to weight out when they are in need and thinking about asking for american help.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:51 PM   #60
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

I think my last post was what we call a thread killer. Im sorry guys i didnt mean it to be. . .