Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-29-2001, 10:48 PM   #1
onthepequod
Quintesson

I just spent most of my evening obsessing over my yard. I am a good Minnesotan!

Actually I am a terrible Minnesotan. I am fairly sure our neighbors and all who drive through our neighborhood consider our house to be inhabited by the dregs of humanity. My confession is this.....I....well....hmmm....how should I put this....I only mow my lawn once a week. There my skeleton is out of the closet for all to see. I may as well have a '72, rusted out Camero, up on blocks in my front yard.

You see, a good Minnesotan mows his/her lawn twice a week, as an integral part of the ongoing neighborhood lawn competition. Furthermore, once done mowing the good Minnesotan proceeds to trim around the edges, hand water any slightly off-green patches. At this point the "Good Minnesotan" uses the leaf blower on the gutters and street surounding their property in case delinquent blade of grass escaped their meticulous effort to flawlessly manicure their lawn. As a finishing touch, Minnesotans of this ilk go back over their respective portions of gutter and street with brooms just in case anything was missed by the leaf blower. Remember they do this twice a week.

I, on the other hand, am just happy to mow my lawn once a week and survive the experience with all apendages intact.

As a side note. Earlier this year we recieved a coupon from a professional lawn care company for 5 sprayings (weed control and fertilizer) from April to October, costing a total of $120. I though this was a great price and consequently a great idea. What I failed to consider was that, due to all the precipitaion we get, in Minnesota all plants grow exceedingly well. Five sprayings of fertilizer from April to October is a STUPID idea! No wonder it was going for such a good price. AUUGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2001, 11:29 PM   #2
Moni

I think you left everyone speechless with this one onthepequod, myself included!

Moni

P.S. don't feel bad, here in Texas, we are the only house on the block with a ratty looking lawn that I am lucky Rex has gotten into mowing once a week...it used to be once every other week or once a month!

------------------

Old 05-29-2001, 11:32 PM   #3
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
I think you left everyone speechless with this one onthepequod, myself included!

Moni

P.S. don't feel bad, here in Texas, we are the only house on the block with a ratty looking lawn that I am lucky Rex has gotten into mowing once a week...it used to be once every other week or once a month!

It's good to see you again Moni! It's been a while.

I come from an arid part of the country where no one mows their lawn more than once a week. So Minnesota is a bit of a shock to me.

Old 05-29-2001, 11:33 PM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I am a once a week mower too! I let my grass get a wee bit longer than most before cutting and leave it at about 3 inches, which is healthy for the lawn. If my neighbors complain, I tell 'em I'm not sure when I can get a permit for a goat and I don't have time to mow more often...hehehe!

Cloudy, not a good Minnesotan

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 05-29-2001, 11:44 PM   #5
Moni

onthepequod,

Nice to see you too!

I have been busy working outside lately. I got my awning with the lizard cutouts up, the trellises in front of the window, and the ferns up off the ground. The awning turned out really cute!
I also got another window project started (this one is getting a star jasmine planted under it and a new screen so we can enjoy the scent indoors ), AND LOL I pulled up weeds in a small section of the front yard, tilled it with a garden weasel (LMAO) and put down grass seed.
Rex said he would rather I filled it with wandering jew so that he did not have to mow it and I said what's the difference? If I left it alone, you would mow the weeds right? Got him there LOL!
If I can get grass growing with ten cats cruising the yard, I am going to make a major project of doing the rest (of the front yard at least) in the fall or next spring. The back, I want to fill with paved walkways and sectioned gardens (and the deck of course) so that we have to do as little as possible back there. Picking up dog doody is enough LOL!
Hey, the pup is starting to resemble a charpei more than a pitbull! Cool huh?
He points and everything! Too bad he could not have been full blooded, with the exception of their slobbering, I think Charpeis are great dogs!

Moni

------------------

Old 05-29-2001, 11:49 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

One of the reasons I enjoy living in Texas is that in the summer all the grass dies and it's not so bad. I can't understand people who will water and water and water their lawns in 105+ F degree temp (41+ C), I mean, who do they think they're fooling? Just a big water bill for nothing, if you ask me.

Old 05-29-2001, 11:52 PM   #7
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
onthepequod,

Nice to see you too!

I have been busy working outside lately. I got my awning with the lizard cutouts up, the trellises in front of the window, and the ferns up off the ground. The awning turned out really cute!

If you have any pictures I would love to see your work.

So does your pup stil urinate like a girl?

Old 05-29-2001, 11:56 PM   #8
Moni

Rad sig Saz! I like it!

Yeah well I live in Texas and I'll water the lawn to keep the dirt on the lot and off the sidewalk! (The patch I seeded is only about ten by ten)
I only water at night in the summer too...coming from AZ where landscaping means putting gravel down over plastic sheeting, I do know how to beat peak water hours and make the most of what greenery we have around here.
Oh yeah! I just took the last pic on my roll of film today...I'll show you what the mesquite tree looks like with queen's crown blooms hanging in it looks like soon! Its awesome...you can see the pink in it a block away.

Moni

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 05-30-2001).]

Old 05-29-2001, 11:57 PM   #9
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
One of the reasons I enjoy living in Texas is that in the summer all the grass dies and it's not so bad. I can't understand people who will water and water and water their lawns in 105+ F degree temp (41+ C), I mean, who do they think they're fooling? Just a big water bill for nothing, if you ask me.

Hello Saz!

So do you have to mow a lot in the Spring and Fall? Any in the Winter?

105+? Is that an average for July and August? Temperatures in your neck of the woods peak above 115, don't they?

So roughly where is Denton?

Old 05-29-2001, 11:58 PM   #10
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by onthepequod:
If you have any pictures I would love to see your work.

So does your pup stil urinate like a girl?

Just used the last pic on the window with the awning done and the trellises up~will get it developed this coming week.

Yep, he still does LOL! SHUT UP!!!

Moni

------------------