Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
NobleNick
Quintesson

I've got lots of potion ingredients stacking up in the lab; but haven't been able to find any recipes, other than the cookbook I stole out of some cellar in Pelgiad. (EDIT: I also remember, now, that I saw a SINGLE sort-of-recipe in a book on some alchemist's table in Vivec.)

Questions:

1.) Are we supposed to know how to whip up concoctions based on some knowledge gained out of the manual (which I do not have)?

2.) Are there more recipe books out there? Or is this mostly a trial and error thing?

3.) I guess what I am getting at is: What is the primary way in which we are supposed to learn potion recipes?

4.) Are there some concoctions that are more potent than others (For example, let's say ingredients A, B, C, and D all improve intelligence. Can I expect that a potion made of A-B-C will be more potent than that made with just A-B? Are some ingredients more potent than others? Like, can I make a potion of A-B-C and another of A-B-D and expect that one will consistently be more potent than the other? (I understand that Intelligence has a lot to do with potency of potions. And I understand the trick of making INT potions and drinking them, making more and drinking them, making more, etc... What I want to know is: should I also be paying attention to what I stick into the potions, and are there 'secret' recipes out there?)

Thanks!

[ 12-15-2005, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/dosw...emy_potion.txt

Eat your heart out. A good way to kickjump your potion career in RL is as follows:
Jet Fuel+Flame= FUN!!!
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

1) Open your potion making console (drop an alchemy tool like the mortar and pestal into your character in the inventory) and click which ingredients you want to combine, the space on the right will tell you what kind of potion you can make. Click, "Make Potion", or whatever it says, and depending on your skill, you have a certain chance of creating a potion, the better your equipment and skill, the more effective the potion.

2) I believe I saw a simple recipe book in the Balmora Mages Guild, not sure though.

3)You make potions by combining two or more ingredients in which at least 2 of those ingredients share an effect. Just remember what kind of effects you plan to be using the most, and watch out for ingredients with that effect.

4) For what I've noticed, any ingredient with a particular effect is just as potent as any other ingredient with that effect, I don't know about using more than 2 ingredients with the same effect though, you'll have to figure that out for yourself.

I know a very easy way to train your alchemy skill to 100 really early in the game (in fact, and soon as you have all the alchemy tools and aroun 250 gold). It's not cheating, but may be considerred and exploit by some, I personally think it's not, since it's completely within the rules of the game. PM me if you want to hear it.
armageddon272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:08 PM   #4
NobleNick
Quintesson

Woo HOOO!! Thank you, Sir Degrader!

The link you gave got blocked by the site; but surfing to the FAQs from there was a cinch. WHOA! And so much more info than I even asked for...

[ 12-15-2005, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
Old 12-15-2005, 10:36 PM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

I was going to suggest stealing the "Book of Alchemy" from the shop in Pelagiad... but since you used a "FAQ" I guess you don't need it!

Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:37 PM   #6
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

LOL, no problems mate, glad you liked it. Gamefaqs is REALLY useful for this type stuff.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:29 AM   #7
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

There's also a mod (probably many) that adds a book called Alchemical Effects to the game. I find it easier to use this whilst playing the game, especially on a lower end system. It's called AlchemicalEffects.esp btw.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:24 AM   #8
NobleNick
Quintesson

Thanks, Sever, I might just try that!

So, Kyrvias, are you saying that there is another cookbook in Pelgiad, other than the one I already got from there (that had --Oh, I don't know-- something like 6 recipes)?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:28 PM   #9
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Yep. Second story of the traders house, resting on teh fireplace mantle
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:06 PM   #10
NobleNick
Quintesson

Light Bulb

...Second story of the traders house.. fireplace mantle...

I hear... and obey...

[ 12-19-2005, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]