Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
xfactor
Dungeon Master

Hi everyone. I, like most people, played this game through the first time with a full party of 6 (didn't really use RPCs too much). Then I did another party of 6 imported from Wiz 7. Then another party of 6 power gamed through.

But then I decided to try this "solo" idea that some people seemed to be quite attached to. Predictably enough it was a solo Faerie ninja. It brought a whole new dimension to the game for me and isnce then I've run one full party and about a dozen smaller parties ranging from 1-4 members. Using 6 now just seems really slow and less rewarding. I was just wondering how many of the poeple who have tried smaller groups still play full parties. Also, for those who haven't tried a smaller group yet, why not and do you think you ever will?

xfactor
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 11:07 AM   #2
Flamestryke
The Magister

It depends on my mood and my idea for the game. I'm not locked into the "leveling as fast as you can", "get a bunch of powerhouses" mindset, for me its more fun to roleplay the game now.

I still find it a challenge to play 6 chars when I have a special theme in mind where each char falls under limitations I place on them for their skills and so on.

I just like trying all sorts of new ideas so for me party size isn't really an issue.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:00 PM   #3
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

I haven't played with more than 3 for about 20 finishes. I've been rolling random Race/Class and using a 1-3 to determine how many, and playing to try to make it no matter what silly combinations i get. Reduces my success rate quite a bit, but it puts the excitement in.
I only played five games with all 6 slots filled, and i've used an RPC (aside from the alliance bit) twice. After my first try with only 4, i have not "gone back" to more than that.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 06:37 PM   #4
Ferret Druid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My first time was a party of 6 with heavy use of RPCs... my second time was solo. The odd part is that the solo game had little to no challenge once I got out of the monestary, where my full party was challenged almost constantly. I made a Felpurr Bishop with one level of rogue (for stealth/traps/pickpocket) and it was easy to level skills because being solo they all go up very fast and obviously EXP comes very easy for a single char. My big party struggled in the same departments my single bishop flourished in, and I got frustrated with trying to work something out, and just started over at Ascension Peak. I am just starting to play with 3 man parties and liking it, 4 still seems "too much" for me. (And only on expert now, my big struggling 6(+1 or +2 occasionally) man party was a novice game believe it or not! Though I did start out of Normal until about level 9/10 when I just could not handle a mob of bats/weeds/anything).

Sorry for the huge paragraph.. I'm too tired to think of a place to break it right now.
Ferret Druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:11 PM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

When I replay the game I always play with full 6 characters and the 2 rpc. Since I love the character interaction in this game I say why not. plus to me, the more the merrier.

However, sometimes I want a bit of challenge, I go play single character. It's fun too seeing your character struggle and death in just around the corner.

Kinda think of it, I either play with full party or only with 1 character. never in between.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Good question. I'm going for 4-parties mainly. I tried a 6-party lately but found it got a bit slow since I know where to go. It really is a matter of style and how much you want to put into it. I did a solo faerie ninja and enjoyed it after about lev 12. My next may be a 3-party. I really can't see doing a 6 again. Once you know where everything is, you don't need a full party. But you still need protection so I keep a few. Anything works in this game. It still comes down to how strong or weak you want your party to be. Ciao.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:50 PM   #7
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

Scatter

Care to share some of your favourite threesomes?

As you may have seen in other threads, I'm doing a 3 Gadgie party which is trying to get to Ferro and also a Dwarf Lord, Hobbit Samurai and Hobbit Ninja party. They're in Trynton somewhere.

These are the only two I've done.
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 10:21 PM   #8
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Favorites? Hmmmmm...

Chosen ones first:
3 Lizzes; a Samurai, Priest, and Alchemist.
3 Faeries; a Ninja (duh), Bishop, and Rogue
Felpurr Lord, Rawulf Ranger, and Dwarf Bard (to check out how 'wrong' they'd be)
But for simply getting the job done the easiest, prolly; Rawulf Lord, Elf Ranger (imported the Elven Bow) and Hobbit Samurai.

Rolled ones:

Statistically the worst rolls, but worked; Gnome Lord, Dracon Bishop, Mook Monk.
Fun; Gnome Gad, Faerie Samurai (!), Felpurr fighter
Run of 13's= 3 Bishops--Elf, Hobbit, Gnome. Slept a lot to get enough Books...
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:38 AM   #9
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

I always play the game with six members (when I started W8 with NPC's, later without). I don't like reduced parties. With a party I have a chance to win the game from the beginning without reloading (it's my favorite victory ). With only one guy you need so much luck, that I say : It's impossible to win it my way.

I havn't found many goodies Lightsword-/shield, Excaliber, Phaser etc. ) up to now, so a party has a better chance to use them .But I think I'll never find those things in my current life.

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]

[ 10-04-2004, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Loudhy ]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote