Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 06-25-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
About two years ago, I bought BG1 and TotSC over the internet. I got the three disc version - 2 discs for the game and 1 for the expansion.

I did the recommended install and played the game as normal. A very good game, I might add. However, I was a bit curious as to why it was asking for the next disc quite frequently and so early on in the story... as of the game was spread over more discs...

So, I entered Nashkel... "Please insert disc 3", what? I don't have a disc three! Why do you think I have a disc three?!?!?

After searching on the internet, I discovered that this happened if you patched the game with TotSC. I thought this was strange, as I hadn't done that - I had done it properly anyway. Ah well, I may as well re-do it.

Nope; I still can't get into Nashkel. Time to email Interplay, methinks. After a few lengthy exchanges over many weeks (it takes about 2 or 3 days for them to reply), they said it was out of their hands because they only deal with American copies of the game. I had a European one. They directed me to the European enquiries.

Okay, let's visit the website... oh, it's in french Hmmm, I'll send it by post then.

**AAAAAGES LATERR*

Ah, still no reply. I guess I'll make sure I got the right address - back to Interplay! They then tell me that since my email, many people have asked about the same thing... hmmm...

Right, let's try snail-mailing the European people again... Nope, no reply. Hmmm what can I do? Aha! A refund! So, I contacted the place I bought it from.... Oh, phooey, I've had the game for so long that I can't get a refund

So what can I do? Buy it again? I'm a kid - not made of money... Download the game? Illegal, yes, but since I payed for the game I think I deserve a copy! Arrgghhh two whole years!!!

*Sigh* Any help/advice/tips you could give me would be very much appreciated.

Oh by the way I got a brand new computer and it still doesn't work.
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:38 PM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
You installed the TotSC part right? Try putting in the third disc when it asks for it. If that doesn't work then I am at a greater loss than even you could be.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:51 PM   #3
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Believe me, I've tried everything

Thanks for concern anyway [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2004, 06:04 PM   #4
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

couldnt you just do a full install at the start? Then it only needs disc one all the time.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:33 PM   #5
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Tried that - even the installer thinks I have 3 discs. I opened up the D:\ drive to see the contents of the disc and I have to admit that the number of areas and stuff seemed quite low. Maybe the 3 set CDs accidentally got produced like the 5 set CDs? But then everyone who hs the 3 set CDs would have the same...
Old 06-25-2004, 06:36 PM   #6
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

ah. Couldnt you install the game normally, without the TotSC patch, then shove it on later. Or just miss it out altogether. Or does it automatically think that you have 3 disks every time now because of the patch even when it isnt there?
Old 06-25-2004, 06:44 PM   #7
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

But wait...you do have 3 disks. The 3rd one is for ToTSC, but put it in anyway.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 06:47 PM   #8
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
IIRC, it thinks I have the 5 disc version whether I install the patch or not. I'll double check...
Old 06-25-2004, 07:13 PM   #9
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
#1, it's the 3 disc set, DO NOT install any patches.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 07:28 PM   #10
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Dang, it asked for CD2 when entering the Friendly Arm Inn... I guess that's a sign that it still thinks it's the 5 disc version.

Okay here's an idea: Can someone put the CD in and open up the D:\ drive, then list all the files and folders? This way, I could tell if it PHYSICALLY is the 3 CD set or the 5 CD set.