Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

SPOILERS likely!

-------------------------

---------------------------

--------------------------

Jumping for joy here! I had almost given up on finishing HoTU because it seemed my poor ranger/AA wasn't able to whup Grimgnaw and company in the depths of the frozen Cania caves on my quest for the knower of names.

I'd tried it a few dozen times and got very frustrated and left the game to sit and I played other things like DS and Sacred. I finally decided to go back and try it again after searching for hints on how to beat this bunch of tough-guys. Finding out Belerphon was a lich certainly helped me!

I hauled out the holy water and my greater breach spells and ended up using one time stop as well, but they all went down, one after the other, with Ol' Grim and that (assasin?) Crimson holding on til the bitter end. Took tons of arrows, fireballs and various other spells to get them to give up and I sure hope I won't need any more breach scrolls because I used them all, along with a half dozen or so heal potions and bull strength potions and my death armor potion/scrolls! I lost Valen but resurected him after the fight. I had also called my animal companion (bear) and a Hound of the Archons as well as my mephit familiar... so you can see it wasn't an easy fight for us, as I ended up with just good old Deekin by my side when the smoke cleared!

Whew! Now there's some hope I may actually finish this game!

[ 01-13-2006, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 01-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

That is definatly one of the tougher fights in the game as you don't really have anywhere to run. Good Job!!

[ 01-13-2006, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks! I feel MUCH better about HoTU now! Don't know how long that'll last with the ultimate battle coming up, but at least I didn't have to start over with another pc. I was afraid my ranger/AA wasn't strong enough to make it through!

Oh and I was running in circles in that stupid cave! Had to avoid being blasted by ...not sure if it was fire or lightning or what, but either Maugrim or Crimson I think, kept hitting me with something. Luckily my ranger/AA is immune to sneak attacks but OUCH! I took a lot of heal potions in that one!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Cloudy. Here is a hint for the final battle. Bring some acid
Old 01-13-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I did get Meph down to 'nearly dead' a few times but lost Valen and Deekin and was killed so are you sure that thing can die?! LOL
Old 01-13-2006, 10:03 PM   #6
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Thanks a lot Gilligan....!

Well, by the time I get to the expansions I won't remember any of this anyway.

I 've done most of the Port Llast stuff and Aribeth said she was heading off to Luskan. I'm going to Charwood to see what's there.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:58 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey, it does say SPOILERS in the title and the first post, now, Variol! [img]tongue.gif[/img] And you're right, you probably will forget any tidbits you saw here by then! It's a long haul through all the add ons and sequel!

Still not done- that last battle will take a few more tries I'm guessing, but Meph is gonna go down! I have no idea how I missed it, but I never saw the option to get his name! LOL So I have no choice but to whup him!
Old 01-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I don't think your at the place were you get his name yet. But even if you don't get his name you can still beat him with a ranger class.

[ 01-16-2006, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:35 PM   #9
Nightowl2
Galvatron

If he's fighting Meph, it's much too late to learn his true name. Personally, I copped out and used his true name myself. Much easier, and I'd had enough combats by then. Besides, it's more fun to push him around.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yes, I think I should have got it from the Knower of Names but, LOL, I was trying to be nice to her... and thought 'forcing' her to tell me wouldn't be the 'good' way of doing things... duh! NOW I know I could have done that and probably should have, but hey... fighting ol' Meph and eventually (I HOPE!) winning will be sweet!