Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 06:53 AM   #31
Sinteuil
The Magister

There's some great new stuff for a lord which you'll find about mid to late game, and I'd seriously consider making them a dracon with some mace skill for late in the game because you're eventually going to pick up the ultimate weapon which makes the cane of corpus look like a baby rattle, but unfortunately it's got some pretty severe race restrictions on it (human, dwarf, lizard, or mook will work too, but that's all in terms of race, and fighter, valkyrie, ranger, priest and bishop can use it as well). A bard will get some new instruments, particularly near the beginning, which can make the road to Arnika a real breeze for a change, not to mention the new rogue/bard weapons you'll find pretty early on. Also some new ninja/monk weapons available from vendors, so that's another possibility (I haven't had a chance to try these out yet but there's alot to choose from and they look fun!). Bishops or pure casters can get some new staffs that will actually make them pretty formidable in melee. One last suggestion would be to take a ranger as well because it makes finding the new items alot easier, although there is a new item available early on that will cast detect secrets. I just got to Ferro, so those are my suggestions at this point! Enjoy!

[ 01-18-2005, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Sinteuil ]
Sinteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:54 AM   #32
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

Mr Creosote

I asked Flame about an optimum party which would use most of the new items. This is her party and I attach the relevant part of her reply:-

"Felpur Ninja (to test all the new exotic weapons and felpurr only item)

Dracon Valkryie (for polearm bonus and Drac/Liz item)

Lizardman Fighter (for axes and Drac/Liz item)

Hobbit Gadgeteer (test new weapon and Hobbit/Gnome item)

Human Lord (test all new swords, lord armor and human only gear)

Dracon Bishop (for mace mainly and for a little magic outside Divinity).

I wish I had used a Dwarf for the Axe test though. There are some "only" items for just about every race and profession now."

I'm playing this party except I've taken the Dwarf Fighter with Axes rather than the Lizard Fighter because the Dwarven also have unique items just for them. Also, there's already two Dracons to use the items unique to them and Lizards.

The uber weapon mentioned by Sinteuil is a mace and Flame's idea was for the Dracon Bishop to wield it later in the game (it's an extended weapon). Good idea and makes the Bishop a deadly fighter. To use this weapon however you will need Strength 90, Mace skill 50 and Artefacts skill 35.

One tip, if you usually kill Rattus Rattus on the road to Trynton, don't! It will make the Don hostile immediately and the Don now sells some great stuff. If you must, kill RR afterwards.

Flame, if you're looking at this, hope you don't mind me sharing the optimum party with everybody?

[ 01-18-2005, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Krull ]
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:15 PM   #33
Mr Creosote
The Magister

Great stuff! Thanks!

Just one point. You metioned in early post that there is some good Mook items, yet no Mook in Flame's optimal party. Is that an oversight or really just a case that there is so much good new stuff that one can't accommodate everything?!
Mr Creosote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #34
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

Yes, there is a Mook only misc item which regenerates +1 to HP, SP and Stamina. How about a Mook Valkyrie as there are already two Dracons in the party?

I would say Mook Bishop but you would really have to get the Mook's Strength up in order to get the super mace and, yes, it's well worth getting.

In the hands of my besreking Lizard Fighter it was regularly doing 400+ damage per turn! The Bishop should do around 80-100 in comparison I would predict, if not more. Not too shabby?

That's the beauty of the mod, with each race having specific items any party is now doable.

And yes, there's so much good stuff you can't have a party that has everything in the mod.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:41 AM   #35
Mr Creosote
The Magister

I nearly always play solo's so a full party will be quite a handful!

This is the variant I am thinking of playing, will I miss out on any great items?

Dwarf Fig (Axe)
Human Lord (Mace)
Felpurr Ninj (??Swords?? + Locks)
Hobbit Bard Female (Swords + Artifacts)
Elf Ranger (Elven Bow and Searching)
Mook Gadgie (??Swords??)

Think I'll give the Bishop a miss in favor of a Ranger, from the threads I am reading its easy to miss some of the new items, so having a Ranger seems a prudent move.

What do you reckon?!
Mr Creosote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:00 AM   #36
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

Looks good to me except there's nobody with Wizardry or Psionics magic. Doesn't matter too much as there are items and scrolls that can cast such buffs as Missile Shield.

Most of the Bard's instruments can cast Psionic spells as well.

There's an item you can get in the Monastery that casts Detect Secrets at level 7 so you could use this to search. Obviously, the Ranger has Search on all the time.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #37
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Isn't there a three part staff for the gadgeteer? You may want the mook to use a staff, I here it is pretty good.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #38
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

I understand there are four parts to the staff, two in the Monastery to make an Ironshod Staff and then other parts to the staff in the Mt Gigas caves and also on AP. So far I've only got the two in the Monastery.

Tip, one of the parts needed in the Monastery is an existing weapon, the other part is obvious when you get it.

[ 01-19-2005, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Krull ]
Old 01-19-2005, 09:07 PM   #39
Sinteuil
The Magister

Krull, in case you're having trouble finding that part in Gigas, here's a spoiler just in case... (you've helped me alot recently so I felt like I owed you one!).

SPOILER ALERT
It's pretty well hidden in the unexplored area. Took me forever to find it, but I believe it's just outside the area where the mummy is. Hope that helps!
To be born in imbecility amid pain and cries, to be the plaything of ignorance, error, want, illnesses, malice, and the passions; to pursue a return to imbecility from the moment one first stammers to the moment one drivels; to live among worthless people and charlatans of all sorts, to fade away surrounded by one man who takes your pulse and another who bothers your head; not to know from whence one comes, why one has come, where one goes -- that is what people call the greatest gift our parents and nature have given us: life. - Denis Diderot
Sinteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:14 AM   #40
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks Sinteuil

I don't usually do the caves as they are so tedious but will have to now. Oh well.