Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2004, 05:46 AM   #1
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Does anyone know where to find drivers for Cd drives? Or should I just look with the manufacturer? I think I have found a problem with mine, since I formatted my Harddrives and installed xp neither of them will open copied disks which sucks. I presume a driver update will fix this?
Old 05-13-2004, 06:50 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Worth trying, atleast. Drivers should be available on the manufacturer's website if any exist.
How do you mean 'won't open copied disks'? Will the CDs recognise? Can you actually open the CD manually via 'My Computer'?
Old 05-13-2004, 01:13 PM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

No, it doesnt recognize at all, Im gona download the latest drivers and see, the disks worked before Im sure so it should be fine.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
Animal
Gold Dragon

Drivers for a CD Drive? Generally not needed with Windows.
I'm guessing between this post, and several of your others that you have a serious problem with the install of XP.
Depending on the software you used to make the copies, you may need that very same software installed, but that's very unlikely.
It sounds to me that you either have a virus, or a failed install.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:34 PM   #5
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

dont have a virus, I keep myself squeeky clean. My install should be fine, it went well. The only things that are really wrong are the scroll problem, which seems somewhat common, and this. The boot problem was easily fixed and wasnt really anything to do with the install. I dont think I need that software as I didnt even make some of the copies so they have been made with different software programs.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

oh btw, I just tried one of my really old 650mb disks and it picked it up, but none of the newer ones, thats why I thought a new driver might help, to make it recognize newer stuff, or is that theory just a heap of crap?
Old 05-13-2004, 05:49 PM   #7
Animal
Gold Dragon

Since your boot loader still assumed there was an old copy of Windows installed there was probably old drivers somewhere as well. Mix old drivers with new drivers and you get problems.

Win 98 and Win xp use a completely different OS Kernel, thus the need for seperate drivers yet the drivers are usually have the same filenames whether for a 9x system or an NT system.

If XP is attempting to load a driver based upon the 98 drivers, you'll have problems, most noticeably with your chipset drivers for the motherboard.

Although XP is a great OS, Microsofts best to date, it is a resource hog so you need to be running hardware that can handle it. Assuming that, it's a software problem.

Honestly, I'd look at a complete and clean re install including a repartition of the HD.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:58 PM   #8
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

my hardware can handle it, I know that. Maybe you are right, but I partiotioned my HDDs before installing xp, and I did a clean install, so how come it didnt overwrite then?
Old 05-13-2004, 06:10 PM   #9
Animal
Gold Dragon

If a clean install had been performed then you wouldn't have had the bootloader showing Win 98SE. I can't really comment on why, but it didn't. Here's the steps that I like to take whenever doing a clean install.

1. Back up all files
2. Disconnect all HD's from the system, except the one you want to load the OS on. Unplugging the power and IDE cables is the way to go.
3. If you are running FAT16 or FAT32 then boot from floppy drive, run FDISK and remove all partitions. Reboot. Create a new partition and then reboot again. Do a full format of NTFS and install XP.
4. If running NTFS, then boot from the XP CD, delete the partition and then reboot. Create a new partition and reboot again. Do a full format using NTFS and install XP as normal.
5. Immediately after install activate Windows Firewall.
6. Update to SP1
7. Install latest motherboard drivers
8. Install latest hotfixes for XP, and then remaining drivers.
9. Install a good software firewall and a good AV program with latest virus definitions.
10. Only activate XP when you are sure the machine is running perfectly.

This procedure has worked for me countless times with a variety of different hardware when installing XP.

I'm not saying this is a panacea, but I've never had any problems when installing XP.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:21 PM   #10
Too Darkpark
The Magister

If you're having problems reading copied CDs than it's a problem with the cdrom drive itself. No amount of driver updates will resolve this. i would try using a cdrom drive lens cleaner or use a can of air to spray out some dust out of the cdrom drive. secondly, you could try looking for a firmware update for your cdrom drive on the manufacturer's website.

since the days of Windows 95, drivers were never needed for cdrom drives other than those provided by the Windows OS.

If this is an older cdrom drive than i would recommand that you replace it with a new one or see the manufacturer if it's still under warranty.