Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-14-2001, 05:08 PM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

you're the only person replying to the thread in the ToB forum so I might as well continue it here. I was checking out a faq at GameBanshee, when I read this:

Basically, all characters start to gain special abilities at roughly 3 million total experience points. So when multiclass characters are at about 1.5 million experience points per class (more like level 14-15 than level 20), they start gaining special abilities in both classes. And every time they make a special ability pick, they can pick from the abilities for both classes - for example, Jaheira can take a Greater Whirlwind when she goes up a fighter level, then another Greater Whirlwind when she goes up a Druid level. So multiclass characters actually have somewhat superior special ability gains. All in all, multiclass characters are quite viable in BG2. However, they do not have the sheer power or munchkin potential of the dual class characters.

This is what makes me thing that multi's would even be better than duals in ToB. With this in mind, and the fact level advancement doesn't bring as many advantages past level 20, I find it hard to see how a multi-classed character is -not- ubermunchkiny. It kinda makes the multi- cleric/mage seem a -lot- more powerful than the dual cleric/mage, even at lower levels (or I should say, lower experience values). Am I right or am I right? What do you think?
Old 10-14-2001, 05:19 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Woah, woah, hold your horses. Overall, dualled kits are more powerful than multi-classed kits. It depends on the classes you are combining.

Fighters are generally the best class to dual from because of their high Hp and the fact that you can grandmaster in a weapon type. Multi-classed Fighter/Something will have limits.

In the case of a Mage/Cleric though, yes, it is more beneficial to be multi-classed, but for a Fighter/Mage, it is better to dual.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, you need to examine the pros and cons first before deciding either Dual or Multi.
Old 10-14-2001, 05:51 PM   #3
StarVid
Elminster

I don't know, there's still an advantage to a multi-fighter mage. Especially when you get to the higher levels and get the nicer special abilities. If this information is accurate, I can only think of a couple instances where it's better to dual.

Thief/whatever(usually mage), other than their kick ass use any item ability, a 10th level thief with at least 100 in locks and traps, and ther rest in whatever is more than adequate for the game.

Fighter/Cleric: to multi this would just slow both classes down. If you dual at 9 or 12, then you're a much better cleric, and still a good fighter.

The only time I really agree with you on the fighter/mage is for the ever ubermunchkiny kensai-mage. But even still, I'm the type of person that's hesitant to send a mage into battle.

EDIT

actually, I have to agree on the dual fighter/thief setup. a 9th (or 12th) level fighter, turned to a thief, is a dangerous thing. Now that I think about it, I think I'm just repeating what you're saying...depends on the situation.

[This message has been edited by StarVid (edited 10-14-2001).]
Old 10-14-2001, 06:00 PM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, I am of this opinion, which others may disagree, I feel that you Dual so that you can boost the second class, the first class only serves to improve the second. The best example to illustrate this is a dualled Fighter/Cleric.

So if you want a super Cleric, then Dual is the way to go.

On the other hand, let us say you want to have the best of both worlds, then Multi-class is the way to go, because you will get to improve both classes. You will not be godly in either class, but you get to experience both classes.

So if you want a Cleric and a Mage, then Multi is the way to go.
Old 10-14-2001, 07:46 PM   #5
StarVid
Elminster

yeah, I see what you're saying. I'm not some uberpowerplayer, but at the same time, I'd one my PC to be really good at -something-, so dualing is more for me. It's kinda funny, in PnP, I'd never considered a human dual class. In fact, I've always been a demihuman multi...