Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 09-16-2003, 08:53 AM   #1
Shotgun
Manshoon

Okay, I'm sure some people will find this a stupid question, but what exactly is a planetar and a deva? I keep reading about them, but don't really know myself. When I read the descriptions of certain weapons I get some idea, but beyond that, am not entirely clear. Can someone explain for me?
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:58 AM   #2
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun:
Okay, I'm sure some people will find this a stupid question, but what exactly is a planetar and a deva? I keep reading about them, but don't really know myself. When I read the descriptions of certain weapons I get some idea, but beyond that, am not entirely clear. Can someone explain for me?
they are the highest level summons you get in BG series (along with elemental princes). You get to summon them when choosing HLAs = Cleric/Druid summoning Deva; Mage summoning Planeter. as I read your other post, your mage can cast dragon breath already, that means your mage can choose summoning planeter as HLA as well.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:13 AM   #3
Shotgun
Manshoon

So this is a regular spell you can use? To do Dragon's Breath, I had to pick from a bunch of spells when I hit a certain level (Planetar may have been there, but I liked DB). I think they were in the Abilities section of the character page. I'm assuming I'll have to wait until I get another level up before being able to cast Planetar then?

The reason I ask is that I'm about to start a certain massive fight in the Watcher's Keep, and I was wondering if it would be better to wait until I have enough XP to cast Planetar. Anomen isn't able to summon a Deva or anything, so he still has a bit to go, too. What do you think?

[ 09-16-2003, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Shotgun ]
Old 09-16-2003, 09:27 AM   #4
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
So this is a regular spell you can use? To do Dragon's Breath, I had to pick from a bunch of spells when I hit a certain level (Planetar may have been there, but I liked DB). I think they were in the Abilities section of the character page. I'm assuming I'll have to wait until I get another level up before being able to cast Planetar then?

The reason I ask is that I'm about to start a certain massive fight in the Watcher's Keep, and I was wondering if it would be better to wait until I have enough XP to cast Planetar. Anomen isn't able to summon a Deva or anything, so he still has a bit to go, too. What do you think?
Planetar as HLA works exactly the same as dragon breath (choose it from the pool of high lvl spells when your mage levels up and cast it as 9th lvl spell, though counts as 10th lvl spell). In many situations, Planetar and Deva are the best additional tanks you can have. I myself summon them very often, but rarely, almost never use dragon breath.
I thought Amonmen should be getting HLAs by now? what lvl as cleric he's now (or how much XP he has now)?

you can always go back to finish WK in ToB, if you feel the last two levels too difficult. I myself never finished the WK in SoA, but plenty of others have done so, and so it's certainly doable.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:54 AM   #5
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Little correction: Druids cannot summon Deva, but paladins can.

Planetars and Deva are a special kind of angels whose job it is to oversee the Astral Plane and the Prime Material Plane.

The fallen variety are of course fallen angels.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:56 AM   #6
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Indemaijinj:
Little correction: Druids cannot summon Deva, but paladins can.

Planetars and Deva are a special kind of angels whose job it is to oversee the Astral Plane and the Prime Material Plane.

The fallen variety are of course fallen angels.
then Jaheira must be a paladin?

[ 09-16-2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: teardropmina ]
Old 09-16-2003, 11:40 AM   #7
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Jaheira is odd in more than one way. She does, for example, have the exclusive Harper's Call spell.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:44 PM   #8
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Indemaijinj:
Jaheira is odd in more than one way. She does, for example, have the exclusive Harper's Call spell.
then we'd better ask people at the unforgotten realms to fix this page, since they're giving out false information?

http://baldursgate.unforgottenrealms.net/tob/priest.php

[ 09-16-2003, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: teardropmina ]
Old 09-16-2003, 06:14 PM   #9
Shotgun
Manshoon

Here are the levels for my party.

me (mage)--lvl 18
Minsc--lvl 18
Mazzy--lvl 19
Jan--lvl 13 (mage), lvl 16 (thief)
Anomen--lvl 20 (cleric), lvl 7 (fighter)
Aerie--lvl 11 (cleric/mage)

So far, my mage has only earned one special ability (I chose dragon breath). That sound right?
Old 09-16-2003, 07:00 PM   #10
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Here are the levels for my party.

me (mage)--lvl 18
Minsc--lvl 18
Mazzy--lvl 19
Jan--lvl 13 (mage), lvl 16 (thief)
Anomen--lvl 20 (cleric), lvl 7 (fighter)
Aerie--lvl 11 (cleric/mage)

So far, my mage has only earned one special ability (I chose dragon breath). That sound right?
it's lvl 18 (exceeding the SoA XP cap) for your mage to get HLAs. But I thought Anomen should be getting HLAs as well...what's Anomen's XP now?

as I said, you don't need to rush through WK in SoA (of course it'll be more challenging if you finish it in SoA), and your current party is good enough to finish SoA...well, before ToB was released, we finished SoA without HLAs anyway...and when you officially get to ToB, everyone will be leveling up like crazy

btw, what's with Aerie? only 11 at each level??? she hasn't been in your party for long huh

[ 09-16-2003, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: teardropmina ]