Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 11-17-2001, 11:33 PM   #1
Dehamum Glouch
Elite Waterdeep Guard

G'day,

You can have much fun with Vampiric Touch (3rd level mage spell), especially with combinations at higher levels.

Firstly there is a bug with my version as it goes beyond the maximum 6-36 extra hitpoints, eg Receiving 160 extra hit points at high levels. But even if there is no bug it still can be useful as follows.

1. Summon a monster / or preferably use your charachter (loads of hit points to suck,) removing any magic resistances prior.Just heal him with the squillions of heal potions after.
2. Vampiric touch by your mage.
3. Shape Change 9th lvl mage spell (leave as active special ability - can do this first)
4. Other protectives if you want / beef up AC and to hit etc
5. Simulacrum 8th lvl mage spell
6. Stone Skin your double
7. Mirror Image your double etc
8. Then shape change to what you want

*You now have a mirror imaged etc'd Iron Golem with a huge amount of hit points who is just a summoned creature.
* Your mage is as normal just with the extra option to shapechange as well, which means you can have two massive tanks if you want.
* If the hit points get low, either heal by cleric or shape change to a greater wearwolf as he heals so quickly just run around for a few rounds.

I had Imoen's double and herself on 240 hit points soaking things up while the others concentrated on the job at hand.

Very useful for the many big battles at the end.

If you have a fighter mage (which I didn't) then you should kick ass.
Tried Tensers Transformation as a combo, but the double hit points do not take the vampiric touch into consideration.

Regardless of the combos, its a great way for your mage to boost the hit points for 5 turns.

Anyway
Enjoy this great game
DG
Dehamum Glouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 03:59 AM   #2
Kresselack
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'll like to add on to this strategy by buying a scroll of simulacrum. Place the scroll in the quick use of the mage U want to duplicate cast Simulacrum. You will notice the duplicate has the scroll too! Using this method u can cast an infinite number of mages. Simulacrum mages have no summoning limit so all of those clones can cast planetars and swarm the enemies : ).
Kresselack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 05:30 AM   #3
Dehamum Glouch
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Kresselack,

Like the way you think, garners 2 bonus iron gloems with mage preperation extras.

Importantly the original scroll remains with your mage, even when expending the duplicate. This creates a huge amount of options when your duplicate stays as a mage, this includes potions, wands, weapon special ablities etc.

So in this case you can have an extra Golem and mage, though the second copy doesn't appear to be as strong or last as long.The 2nd copy only has the spell options, no scrolls etc as well.

Mislead works here as well, but again not as strong.

Cheers
DG
Old 11-18-2001, 09:33 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Woah, woah... a few corrections.

Mislead: You get a duplicate that can do nothing but look pretty. No spellcastering/fighting abilities, but can play the Bard Song. Sometimes used in the Mislead exploit trick for undispellable invisibility. Quick items are also not usable.

Simulacrum: No matter what your level is, your simulacrum double can never cast spells higher than level 6. This is because of the spell level cap which is 20. 60% of 20 is 12, and level 12 Mages can only cast up till level 6 spells. Quick items are usable however, so you can stuff a high level spell scroll in your quick item slot. They can also attack with weapons.

Project Image: Now this one, this one can gate in 6 Planetars if you so desire, casts Improved Alacrity, etc... Your PI double is an exact copy of your Mage minus 1 level 7 spell. It can cast all the spells you had memorised prior to the casting. It cannot attack with weapons though, and is restricted from using Spell Sequencers and Contingencies. Quick items are usable also.

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]

Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 09:55 AM   #5
SecretMaster
Apophis

Very cool trick you got there Dehamum
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 10:53 AM   #6
Dehamum Glouch
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Dundee

Your right mate, thanks for the corrections.

Although the idea is that with the vampiric touch / shape change / simularcrum combo results in a Iron golem who can have also soughts of protections, and be able to physically attack, although at 60% of the hit points. I can't see if there are any modifactions to hit etc. I also have not seen it been Sim. dispelled.
The original character can also shape change for some good fun.

Project image is awesome for spell casting although is not allowed physical attacks. A physical attacking magic resistant/protected beefcake helps......it also helps when my version of vampiric touch boosts massive hit points.....

Actually while you mention it, I never am able to control more than 5 summoned monsters....does project image or something else allow more than this...?

Cheers
DG
Old 11-19-2001, 01:26 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Behold, the cheese of Project Image. It has no summon limit.

All screenshots taken using a solo Sorcerer.

How to make a Necromancer jealous.

The poor sods never had a chance.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 06:44 PM   #8
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Wow. I thought that you could only summon one Planetar. I bow in respect.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 01:03 AM   #9
Thrawn
The Magister

Roflmo ever saw thirty plannars? [img]smile.gif[/img] i onice had a level 50 pack that by the time you was 50 you had +9 spells each levels, and i was an specalized mage, then i also stole edwin's amulet

anyway i had 12 level 9 spell so heh i had an riot summoning mass of plannars, i did the good ol chain congurity bam four project images, that's only one level 9 spell down so i got 11 left, so that's 44 plannars but the project image expired before i got to cast em all lol needlessary to say it was way overkill lol. fryed that bastard black dragon in the elven city yup yup i did use the xp cheat but i was boried, and normaly i don't cheat lol but was boried blah, but it was just absoulty hiarious to see something like thirty plannars whirling around that black bastard dragon and frying his rear so bad i mean one second later he was dead, and correct me if i'm wrong, planars got vorpal weapon heh i got what ten vorpal hit message before the dragon die lol.
This is the place for Improved Ai Scripts by me<br /> [url]\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bwscript/files/PERSONAL/Iwishi\'s%20Stuff/\" target=\"_blank\">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bwscript/files/PERSONAL/Iwishi\'s%20Stuff/</A>
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 04:13 PM   #10
Dramnek_Ulk

If you look at vamperic touch in infEXP, instead of rolling 6d6 theres a % chance of what damage it will do, and its over 80% likely that youll do at least 30 hp damage.