Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-29-2004, 10:42 PM   #1
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

Well, starting my second semester work already, I was getting into Shakespeare's 'Macbeth' when something strange occured to me.

In the play there are 3 witches; 3, quote: "black and midnight hags". This made me start thinking. But wait. There's more.

These 3 witches have all these prophecies, about who will be King of Scotland, how a forest will move and how a man unborn of a woman will ultimately succeed Macbeth. It's quite lengthy and, mind you, fairly dull, but at least it's better than Romeo and Juliet

I likened these witches to the oracles of Ishad N'ha (who also live in a cave)
, but the creepy thing was, that when Macbeth goes back to get more information from them, one is missing, leaving only two, just like what happens in W&W.

I thought this was too much evidence for it to be just a coincidence. Maybe there are other such references in the game, from other pieces of literature?

Or maybe I'm just too obsessed with W&W and I'm over-reacting.

What do you lot think? Worth further investigation?

Anyhow, I thought it was interesting.

Cheers,

Moiraine Sedai
Old 05-30-2004, 01:09 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... an interesting observation. I haven't checked through or thought of other such references, but there certainly could be. These kinds of easter eggs are common in gaming, and only recognized by those of uncommon intelligence, such as yourself [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 05:25 AM   #3
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Ahh, I like these kinds of wacky theories very much indeed, even if its just fun rather than coincidence or intentional from our man, D.W Bradley.

I love the play personally - studied it in year 12 back in High School, although it did give me some sinister nightmares. The Polanski film is worth a look too Moiraine if you haven't already seen it. (Good to see you still around by the way)

Its been awhile since I played the game now, but I recall avidly the ghost of D'Soto in Shurugeon Castle. Oh the sense of torment he exuded!
We could maybe compare his pain perhaps to the torment and murder of Banquo in MacBeth and the appearance that his own ghost makes to unsettle the guilt-filled king. But maybe I'm just pulling at straws here off the top of my head, as one could imagine that the ghost of Banquo is merely imagined!

If only my memory of the game was a bit stronger....I'd best replay it then one day!

The trio of witches theme is a nice observation - maybe to take it to the next step we could find examples of dialogue from each which somehow correlate. Perhaps some similarties about their prophecies? [img]smile.gif[/img]

On a more silly note - perhaps we could cast characters from W&W into our own version hack version of the play?
(Eeep, but isn't there a curse upon it?...)

"All hail, Macbeth! Hail to thee, Thane of Glamis!
"ALl hail, Macbeth! Hail to thee, Thane of Cawdor!"
"All hail, Macbeth! That shalt be king hereafter!"

*Dissappears off into the mist to avoid the curse*

[ 05-30-2004, 05:26 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 08:59 AM   #4
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
...only recognized by those of uncommon intelligence, such as yourself [img]smile.gif[/img]
Uncommon intelligence in a good way, right?

Thankyou, Bungleau; flattery will get you anywhere

Moiraine Sedai
Old 05-30-2004, 05:32 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My pleasure, Moiraine Sedai... I was referring to the intelligence which is so uncommon in the common person... just like their sense... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 06:36 PM   #6
So So
Zhentarim Guard

Hmmm...Macbeth?....I had just finished that play in my British Literature class in my high school... weird... Anyways... I think that most games have references to many works of literature or myths....

Such as the hammer the Stout King weilds (Mjollnir, the legendary Hammer of Thor...)...
or maybe the Mavin... (Excaliber reference...sword stuck in stone or in this case on a shelf...not sure what those things are called that hold the swords...but anyways the sword is stuck until the right person claims it...)

Anyways..just my two sense...
Old 05-30-2004, 07:31 PM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Speaking of the Scottish Play -
Have you seen Throne of Blood or Scotland PA ? Both variations on the theme and quite excellent!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:34 AM   #8
bsftcs
Red Dragon

I will spare you all the list I have compiled of this game's (probably quite unintended) references to Danish Supreme Court verdicts from the 1930's then, shall I.