Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2001, 07:59 PM   #31
boowinstheday
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your views.

The only conclusion I can draw (which everyone has been told all this while) is to treasure each moment in this life and lead a good life, so that I will not regret squandering the time I've had here. And the bonus will be a smashing good time in Heaven if I've behaved well enough, if there is indeed life after death.

I love my parents very much, to the extent that sometimes I wish I was born in the same period as them (so there will be less likelihood of them leaving before me), which is really contradictory.

Anyway, I will cling on to my little hope and if I'm proven right, you can bet the first thing I'll do is to find them and cling on to them again.

Once again, thank you...
Old 10-02-2001, 04:05 AM   #32
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Yes, there IS life after death! Don't let anyone fool you. May I be as bold as to say you should pick up the Bible and read it from cover to cover? I guarantee that the time wont be wasted.

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)
Old 10-02-2001, 04:09 AM   #33
Har'oloth
Manshoon

I,m a real atheist a non believer but i believe in reincarnation?

------------------
Old 10-02-2001, 04:18 AM   #34
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

I know a former atheist who had a Christian as a roomate in college. He became so fed up with him that he no longer wanted to be his roomate and vowed to read the Bible over vacation and come back and show him all of the contradictions that the bible held. When he came back, he begged him to remain his roomate. He was studying theoretical science, but is now the Pastor at my church. He tried working at IBM for 3 years before going into seminary school.

This is only one of the reasons that I say that everyone should read the Bible from cover to cover before making a decision.
Look at it this way, you will at least be able to make an educated decision on what to believe.

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)
Old 10-02-2001, 05:27 AM   #35
Epona
Zartan

In which case, surely everone should read the Bible, Koran, Talmud, and any other holy book going (sorry, I don't know the names of any others, that doesn't mean anything is excluded from my line of thinking) - Egyptian book of the dead perhaps?
I feel they are all equally valid/invalid depending on your point of view. Why should the only decision be between Atheism and Christianity?

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-02-2001, 07:07 AM   #36
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Har'oloth:
I,m a real atheist a non believer but i believe in reincarnation?
Ditto here. I believe the definition of atheist would be someone who does not believe in God, reincarnation is something different.

------------------

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Guardian of the Temple of Aerie (specialized in GenCon and BG)
Most Illustrious Arch-Magess of the Illuminati
Lux omnis est
Old 10-02-2001, 07:46 AM   #37
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
In which case, surely everone should read the Bible, Koran, Talmud, and any other holy book going (sorry, I don't know the names of any others, that doesn't mean anything is excluded from my line of thinking) - Egyptian book of the dead perhaps?
I feel they are all equally valid/invalid depending on your point of view. Why should the only decision be between Atheism and Christianity?

I agree, Epona! But it is easier for people in a nominally christian society to start with the bible.
I make one proviso to Liliara's recommendation: read a good MODERN translation. Check the flyleaf to make sure it has been directly translated from the original-language texts, NOT from Latin, and that comparisons of the various texts are included when there is divergence between two copies of the same text. Do NOT get a paraphrased version. They can give you doctinally biased readings, rather than accurate readings.

If you want to read other holy books, use the same criteria to select the copy you read.

But above all, remember that all these books were WRITTEN by human beings, even if they claim to have been inspired by their god. Human beings are fallible.

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 10-02-2001).]
Old 10-02-2001, 09:32 AM   #38
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:
Yes, there IS life after death! Don't let anyone fool you. May I be as bold as to say you should pick up the Bible and read it from cover to cover? I guarantee that the time wont be wasted.

Everyone has their own opinion. I have read the entire bible several times and nothing at all in there convinced me that their is life after death or that there is a god. So please dont try and tell people that there is, its your personal opinon. Others have rights to theirs too.

------------------
I pledge my allegience
To the flag of HADB
I will do my utmost
To be a loyal and all conquering person
I promise to tread
Over the broken ruins
Of my enemies homes
Slaughtering their armies
Enslaving their people
And all in all
Get smashed and have a jolly good time
"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

Overlord of all that I behold and anything that i happen to not notice either.

Founding Hamlet of the HADB.
Old 10-02-2001, 06:09 PM   #39
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:

Liliara, the bible is not necessarily the source of all wisdom. All holy books claim validity for themselves. The bible is no different. It contains a lot of good stuff. But like they say, don't believe everything you read...

------------------

Ascended Mistress of Illumination OR Paws R Us
Old 10-02-2001, 07:49 PM   #40
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:

Once again, you impress me!