Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-20-2001, 03:09 PM   #1
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I have been reading almost every thread posted since the old board, and I hate to sound ignorant, but there are several terms that are thrown around for which I seek definitions. Any help would be appreciated.

Flame (flamewar, e.t.c)- Verb? What is it?

Bump - When a message gets bumped, why is it done and to what end. When is it appropriate to bump?

LoL - What does this acronym stand for? It is everywhere!

I should have asked ages ago, but I tried to be sneaky and hope somebody would let these pearls slip out, but alas it hasn't happened. So, now I can't play it off like I knew, but oh well. I bow to the infinite wisdom of the sages of this board.

------------------
Tremble and despair, for I am power! All here are now judged, and are found wanting.
Old 03-20-2001, 03:25 PM   #2
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hi Milamber I'll try to answer things right

A Flamewar is when a troll(an asshole) starts insulting people for no good reason and people respond. Flaming is generally frowned on upon this board.

Bump just bumbs the post back up to the top of the board instead of freefalling to page two etc

LOL, LoL, lol mean Laugh Out Loud, meaning someone found something funny

Hope that helped!
Old 03-20-2001, 03:29 PM   #3
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Thank you so much!
I'll drink a beer for you Lord of Alcohol!

------------------
Tremble and despair, for I am power! All here are now judged, and are found wanting.
Old 03-20-2001, 03:30 PM   #4
Lillie
Dungeon Master

No problem
My definitions:

Flame = insult, specifically insults hurled at people via message boards and e-mail. Flamewar = verbal battle between several "flamers".

Bump = someone "bumps" a post by just posting a short reply to it. That way, it gets to the top of the "post pile" and (hopefully) more people will read that post over others. The appropriateness of bumping depends on the message board, really. I don't see bumping as a problem on this board, but on the official EverQuest message board, bumping is a way of life. Some there take bumping to an extreme and they get scolded by the board moderators.

LoL = laugh out loud. I don't use this one myself, it's seldom that I actually laugh out loud at something I see on the internet I think the phrase is overused (just my opinion).
Old 03-20-2001, 03:33 PM   #5
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Drink several, I encourage it!
Old 03-20-2001, 03:56 PM   #6
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Thank you all for helping me reach enlightenment! The veil has been lifted from my eyes, and I think somehow, in some way, I look at life a little differently now. I am a changed man, and I think changed for the better.

------------------