Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-07-2001, 10:43 AM   #1
Guyan Sethe
Dungeon Master

Hi everybody!

I would like to know your oppinion about the bard. I have completed the game with a paladin, monk and a ranger/cleric and feel like trying something different. Or do you have any other suggestions on cool classes?

Thanks

------------------
Old 07-07-2001, 10:55 AM   #2
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

I sorta thought they were ok till I played one. No spell progression past 6th level, if singing a bard song then you can't attack or cast spells. Basically you cast a few spells, do very little toe to toe battling and sometimes sing a song that no one hears. You can take his pickpocketing skill to 120% too. Obviously you can equip him/her up to your hearts content for strength etc. Of the times I've played, this was the least satisfying character.

If you go for a bard then you may need/want a proficiency in katana so that you can use the Dak'kon's Zerth Blade +2 (+1 AC bonus and able to memorize one extra 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th level mage spell.) You'll also need the bonus CD for this item to be available.

All in all a pretty shit PC in my opinion.

P.S. For me personally a multi-classed fighter/thief has been the most satisfying as you're always involved either scouting, thieving, stabbing etc. You also get some cool special abilities including spells and traps (which are effectively the most powerful weapon in the game) and the chance for 2 Strongholds.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.

[This message has been edited by Cavern Sniffer (edited 07-07-2001).]
Old 07-07-2001, 11:01 AM   #3
Nimbuz_of_Dawn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

well my favourite class is a Fighter/Cleric, but since you have already played a Ranger/Cleric I don't suppose that it would be fun for you playing a Fighter/Cleric.

The bard is kind of a challenging character, as it realy doesn’t have and strong sites but it is fun to play a bard in BGII.

Enjoy
Old 07-07-2001, 11:09 AM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

ToB SPOILER (DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT ToB YET!!!)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
That all changes when they hit 20th level (if you have Throne of Bhaal installed). Their bard song gets replaced with the Enhanced Bard Song (bard gets -10AC and +10%MR; party gets +4 to hit & damage, -4AC, immunity to fear, stun, confusion, and normal weapons). They also gain access to additional special abilities that thieves have, including Use Any Item (allows the bard to use ANY item in the game, regardless of class or alignment restrictions).

However, to get to that point, you have to play from levels 7 to 20 with their piddly bard abilities. About their only saving grace is the ability to identify items easily. Skalds are not too bad (find the Melodic Chain +3 and he is a decent backup fighter). Not sure about Blades (I don't know if they get the Enhanced Bard Song due to their restrictions; anyone know on this?).

In general, I don't have the patience to play through with a bard (I would be tempted to use Shadowkeeper to boost him up ).

------------------

Death is only the beginning...