Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-03-2001, 07:30 AM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

I know I'm asking for some possible bashing here, but is it possible to cut down on the off-topic small talk on the threads. They are like speed bumps to me and it ruins the flow of a good thread.

I know I've done some of this myself and I will try to knock it off, myself.

The "did you get my e-mail" is fine at the end of a post, but to just do it as post in of itself seems disrespectful to the creator of the thread.

If I'm way outta line here, I will drop it! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2001, 07:47 AM   #2
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
I know I'm asking for some possible bashing here, but is it possible to cut down on the off-topic small talk on the threads. They are like speed bumps to me and it ruins the flow of a good thread.

I know I've done some of this myself and I will try to knock it off, myself.

The "did you get my e-mail" is fine at the end of a post, but to just do it as post in of itself seems disrespectful to the creator of the thread.

If I'm way outta line here, I will drop it! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Drop it says I! The wonderfully brilliant and insane Azure. Oh wait im not meant to say that part oops.

"Y'all listen to what MIMI tells you to do!!"

"Small talk is the only part of me that measures under a ton so I demand some respect!!"
Old 11-03-2001, 07:52 AM   #3
tracey
Manshoon

the ladies are multiplying.

can you send me one? i could have her in my lounge dancing away forever and a day..... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2001, 08:08 AM   #4
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
the ladies are multiplying.

can you send me one? i could have her in my lounge dancing away forever and a day..... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

You mean you WANT one of these quivering masses of flesh called MIMI that Jerome has fallen in love with. Should I call a doctor?
Old 11-03-2001, 08:26 AM   #5
Sorcerer Alex

Azurewolf, did you get my email?

Only kidding

You're right here Mark, I think you need to stick to the point when replying on a thread. Some of the threads on here go on for seven pages or so, and by the end of it have nothing to do with the initial subject. I'll admit to being a little guilty myself, but cutting down on this happens to be one of my new year's resolutions. Good thing it's only November

Old 11-03-2001, 11:06 AM   #6
Moni

I mentioned this in the past and people took it to heart and started having respect for others threads.

There are only a few people here who will take threads totally off topic and I have to admit guilt to answering personal questions recently in a thread where they did not belong (discussing pets in a Halloween thread)

But, this thread is a perfect example of what Mark was requesting and to make posts involving small talk that have nothing to do with the thread subject is IMO beyond rude.

Old 11-03-2001, 01:00 PM   #7
skywalker
Banned User

I wouldn't mind the "Did you check your Email" posts if they would just delete them afterwards!
Old 11-03-2001, 01:11 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

You do realize, everyone, that we now have a "Personal Messaging" feature here at IW?

Courtesy of the Upgrade!

So there should be no need to disrupt a thread for personal messages. Simply send someone a PM. Mems and I tried it out last night.

Oops...sorry, to activate it, click the little "Private Message" icon just to the left of the "Edit-Delete" icon on the message.

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-03-2001, 02:19 PM   #9
Moni

quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
You do realize, everyone, that we now have a "Personal Messaging" feature here at IW?

Courtesy of the Upgrade!

So there should be no need to disrupt a thread for personal messages. Simply send someone a PM. Mems and I tried it out last night.

Oops...sorry, to activate it, click the little "Private Message" icon just to the left of the "Edit-Delete" icon on the message.

Cheers,

Thanks for that info Saz! I was wondering!
Also wondering too, how do we know when we have any personal messages?
Ciould you perhaps (please?!) start a thread on the basics of sending and recieveing PM's here?
It'd be much appreciated!

Old 11-03-2001, 02:29 PM   #10
Legolas
Jack Burton

As far as I can see it's a bit like E-mail and a bit like a forum. You send your message to a person by clicking on the PM button in one of his/her posts.

Then, you get to make your own topic, much like when you're posting a new message on one of the boards. The difference is, that only one other person can see your post and reply to it.

You can check for new posts/replies by going to 'my profile' in the top right of the forum screen.

You can only have sixty personal topics at one time though, so you'll have to delete some messages every now and then (reach 60 and you can't get any more untill you delete some).

I don't know if you can get a third person to participate in your topic, but I suspect it's two person only.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!