Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 04-24-2003, 08:08 AM   #1
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

I was working on Gustopher Gringe, my Gnomish Cleric/Thief, and I have discovered something almost gamebreaking.

(Almost) Unlimited Backstabbing.

Now, with Sanctuary, you can't backstab. However, you are out of sight, and, you can go into stealth mode in the middle of the battlefield and still stay Sactuaried. You can backstab (Er backwack) and the Sanctuary is broken, and, you leave shadows. Just cast Sanctuary again, then go back into stealth mode right in the thick of battle. Since nobody can see you, it's a free chance to go into the shadows and the roll to check never seems to fail.

This one trick alone I believe now promotes the Cleric/Thief to a much deserved Uberclass status...
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:15 AM   #2
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Sweet... [img]smile.gif[/img]

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:51 AM   #3
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

What do you do once Stealthed? Backstab again? If so, eventually you'll run out of sanctuaries, and will have to retreat. Although, if you filled every slot with Sanctuary, and used the last to get away, this could be a very good tactic. I was thinking of doing a runthrough with a Cleric/Thief, so I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for sharing, Butterfingers!
Old 04-24-2003, 09:36 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

It still has nothing on the Mage/Thief's Mislead Exploit though... that is a maximum of 20 rounds of undispellable invisibility per Mislead. Usable in the heat of battle too.

Sanctuary is also vulnerable to True Sight unless you combine it with the Cloak of Non-Detection.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:04 AM   #5
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

And that's the one thing that bugs me Dundee. Sanctuary is divine protection. In PnP, while Sanctuaried, you are totally non detectable. Nothing, and I mean nothing can spot you on radar. Giving Clerics the decided edge when stealth is required.

I know it's not quite the Mislead trick, however, this is for a Cleric/Thief, quite a good combo really. The Thief's one big problem is THAC0. Being part Cleric fixes that quite well. With DUHM, RM, and a few other minor buffs, my little Gnome can do some WICKED backwacking with a Staff of Striking or Blackblood. Although, with his size, there are moments when a certain animation plays, that he looks like he is ramming the Staff of Striking right up somebody's bum.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 01:27 PM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

actually in PnP it's not complete invisibility, it only masks you against those who would directly try to harm you and only while they are trying to harm you (you kind of slip from their line of sight and they can't get a fix on you.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:24 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Speaking of Cleric/Thieves, is there any way to change their Button configuration to give them more than just 1 Quick Weapon? One of the MOD NPCs I'd like to create is a Cleric/Thief, and it's a real pain in the butt to go to the Inventory screen every single time I want to switch from ranged to melee and back.

I'd gladly stick something like Turn Undead behind the Special Abilities button (since by the time a Cleric/Thief would have a TU worth using, all the Undead enemies are already dead), and the Talk and Guard buttons never get used either (except for the PC, who sometimes needs to Talk to his/her Romance or Familiar).
Old 04-24-2003, 11:22 PM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, there is a little trick you can exploit with the Guard function. I forgot who was the person that mentioned it, but it enables you to shoot arrows through closed doors... ...
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:00 AM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Now, would that be a "trick" or a "cheesy abuse of an obvious flaw in game mechanics?" [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2003, 08:00 AM   #10
daan
Silver Dragon

But Backstabbing does immediatly break invisibility doesnt it ?
IIRC Sanctuary takes a rather long time to cast,.. so even if you dont get hit while you're unable to move or do anything else but cast.., your Backstab rate probably isnt extremely high right ?