Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #31
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Japan's Mega 8.9 Earthquake! - Tsunami Generated! And Nuclear Reactor Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
Now...I am sorry to write this - but caught this on the news on Denmark.

Several newspapers are writing the story tomorrow that many americans ( I guess everything is relative - cause I dont think there is many ) are joining Facebook groups that express laughter and even ridicule at the japanese people calling it payback for Pearl Harbor. I must admit that I was saddened - can it really be true that the youth in america is so low and unfair - or are the media in Europe just jumping at a few idiots that always will be there???

Disgusting. That said, I would suspect they are in the minority. But I was on WoW last night and a lot of people were laughing and making light of the incident. I'm guessing they were mostly kids and teenagers.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #32
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Default Re: Japan's Mega 8.9 Earthquake! - Tsunami Generated! And Nuclear Reactor Emergency

WoW and Barrens chat will always be a nasty thing - Kids never understand how serious these things can be. I remember an incident in Denmark in 2001 - the evening WTC collapsed a paelastinian man was driving through the streets in Copenhagen celebrating with flags out the window and honking his horn. The press asked him what he was celebrating and he said brazenly on television that the americans had been taught a lesson. He had to go underground after since about 20% of the people in Denmark wanted to evoke shia law and stone the idiot till he died - while the rest of Denmark just wanted to beat him up.

In my eyes Japan is cultured, civilized and peaceful country ( as is Germany for that matter ) and nothing could earn them the sticker that they deserved this. I find it so terrible that a country that has implemented so many high tech solutions to quakes are conquered this easily by a tsunami - but I guess a tsunami isn't something you really can protect from.

anyways I hope this is soon over for the japaneese but I think it will not be - with such a major disruption of the tectonic plates as we have seen here - they actually changed the axis of the earth by 2.4 meters - there is bound to be some nasty after quakes and this will mean volcanoes erupting ( since Japan has a few of those on the tectonic line ) and worse yet....if another quake hits in the sea it will generate a new tsunami - its a law of nature *cry*
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #33
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

It shouldn't be a surprise that Japan got hammered. It is one of the most active, if not THE most active tectonic zomes on the planet. It sits at the confluence of FOUR plates:

The islands sit on two plates, the North American plate and the Eurasian plate. The boundary between the two plates is in the middle of Honshu Island. The Pacific plate lies to the east and subducts under both the North American and Eurasian plates, And the Phillipine Sea plate to the south, (which subducts under the Eurasian plate) is not far away (in geologic terms). Tokyo and Sendai, for example, are on the North American plate.

It might actually be more complex than that, as there are some schools which divide the Eurasian plate and North American plate into smaller sub-plates. In any case, it's a VERY active tectonic zone.

From what I have read, the quake caused the island land mass to shift by eight feet (confirmed by GPS stations), and the resulting shift caused a four inch shift in the earth's axis. DAMN!

News on the reactors isn't improving. Sounds like at least one and possibly more have undergone some partial core meltdowns.

Death toll is now at 2900 and climbing. This is going to get a LOT worse before it gets better.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #34
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Down Re: Japan's Mega 8.9 Earthquake! - Tsunami Generated! And Nuclear Reactor Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
Disgusting. That said, I would suspect they are in the minority. But I was on WoW last night and a lot of people were laughing and making light of the incident. I'm guessing they were mostly kids and teenagers.
LOL, that's WoW for ya. Of course, the kids in trade chat really have no beef with Japan, in fact, they most likely don't even know where it's even located - s'all about trollin'.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #35
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Micah: Thanks for the image - I had no idea it was sitting on four plates - I just caught my info of the danish news ( which suck like licking Bruenors butt ).

I would not be surprised if the death toll end up in 50-100.000 people - keep in mind that northern Japan is almost inaccessible at the moment and thus many smaller communities has not been contacted. It is my hope that this is not going to so bad - but it could become that bad easily and the most sad thing is that this is the country that actually had prepared for it.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Old 03-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #36
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
Micah: Thanks for the image - I had no idea it was sitting on four plates - I just caught my info of the danish news ( which suck like licking Bruenors butt ).

I would not be surprised if the death toll end up in 50-100.000 people - keep in mind that northern Japan is almost inaccessible at the moment and thus many smaller communities has not been contacted. It is my hope that this is not going to so bad - but it could become that bad easily and the most sad thing is that this is the country that actually had prepared for it.
I know that there are still thousands missing. There are some smaller communities that have been totally wiped out. Let's hope that the death toll never gets anywhere close to 50 to 100k - that would be devastating.

As for those jackasses that are ridiculing the Japanese on WoW and other forums: the less said about them, the better.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #37
Sparhawk
Quintesson

True words...

Let not those who utter the words in insanity be heard, cause that is when we lend credence to their words.

"Unleash the Casey!"

Old 03-15-2011, 12:02 AM   #38
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Apparently the earths day is now 1.8 microseconds shorter as well due to the shift in mass caused by the quake.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #39
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Quote:
From source: Richard Black Environment correspondent, BBC News
It appears that for the first time, the containment system around one of the Fukushima Daiichi reactors has been breached.

Officials have referred to a possible crack in the suppression chamber of reactor 2 - a large doughnut-shaped structure below the reactor housing. That would allow steam, containing radioactive substances, to escape continuously.

This is the most likely source of the high radioactivity readings seen near the site. Another possible source is the fire in reactor 4 building - believed to have started when a pool storing old fuel rods dried up.

The readings at the site rose beyond safe limits - 400 millisieverts per hour (mSv/hr), when the average person's exposure is 3mSv in a year.

It seems to be growing a lot worse in Japan, The situation has been upgraded to a level 6 on the INES scale ( International Nuclear Event Scale ) --> Chernobyl was a 7 on the scale so we are getting close to the really bad situation. I have included a picture of the reactor building before and after the explosion we have seen on the news, it clearly shows that the building was severely damaged.

INES SCALE explained in detail:

Level 7: Major accident
Impact on People and Environment
Major release of radioactive material with widespread health and environmental effects requiring implementation of planned and extended countermeasures
Level 6: Serious accident
Significant release of radioactive material likely to require implementation of planned countermeasures.
Level 5: Accident with wider consequences
Limited release of radioactive material likely to require implementation of some planned countermeasures.
Several deaths from radiation.
Impact on Radiological Barriers and Control
Severe damage to reactor core.
Release of large quantities of radioactive material within an installation with a high probability of significant public exposure. This could arise from a major criticality accident or fire
Level 4: Accident with local consequences
Impact on People and the Environment
Minor release of radioactive material unlikely to result in implementation of planned countermeasures other than local food controls.
At least one death from radiation.
Impact on Radiological Barriers and Control
Fuel melt or damage to fuel resulting in more than 0.1% release of core inventory. Release of significant quantities of radioactive material within an installation with a high probability of significant public exposure.

Level 3-0 are largely non-threatening to humans - so I'll leave those alone - suffice it to say that the world has only had one level 7 INES - and that was Chernobyl that had 56 direct casualties and approximately 4000 died in later years of cancer related sickness. However a population close to 100.000 had to be rehabilitated in order to keep the safety zone clear of people, this is known as the Zone of Alienation in the former USSR.
The big problem is not so much the disaster itself, it is the aftermath of sickness, radiation of the surrounding areas and people, water, animals, basically everything. Japan is going to be hit EXTREMELY hard if this turns into a 7 - for one thing there is the current destruction already done from quake and water - but Fukushima Dai-Chi plant is also situated only 250 km from Tokyo - a city housing 35 mio people.

Quote:
From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12732015
Could there be a Chernobyl-like disaster?

Experts say this is highly unlikely. The chain reaction at all Fukushima reactors has ceased. The explosions that have occurred have taken place outside the steel and concrete containment vessels enclosing the reactors. At Chernobyl an explosion exposed the core of the reactor to the air, and a fire raged for days sending its contents in a plume up into the atmosphere. At Fukushima the explosions - caused by hydrogen and oxygen vented from the reactor - have damaged only the roof and walls erected around the containment vessels.
In regards to this from BBC, then it is reported that the explosions have created two giant holes in the containment casing, each about 8 meters in diameter and it has earlier been reported that the graphite casing of the rods themselves have been damaged by the heating.

"Unleash the Casey!"

Last edited by Sparhawk; 03-15-2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Wanted to get images inside the post me ---> noob
Old 03-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #40
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Saw this earlier, entire towns have been wiped out.