Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 05:22 AM   #1
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

It's the fight Australia's been waiting years for and it's happening tonight. So c'mon, who've you backed? And who would most like to see eat their manly words...

Any IW Sydneysiders got seats to the event?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:38 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Heading to a mates place to watch it on his brand spanking new giant projector screen, along with a heap of other people, should be a good fight.
Although I doubt it will happen, I would love to see Mundine go down
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:07 AM   #3
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I think it will be mundine on points. I would like to be proven wrong though. I wills till be backing green.

Ohhh the fights on now!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

And Mundine has won on points.

Green just couldn't land his pucnhes.

Good fight though. Shame about the mat surface. both were slipping all over the place.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
Sever

We're never going to hear the end of this...

Pished. Nite.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 05-17-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
shadowhound

I was hoping mundine would get beaten just so there would be a chance of him becoming a little more humble... foolish me.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Screw that, where's Sam Solomon, AKA the only Aussie boxer I know?
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Who does Choc fight next?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:09 PM   #9
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

He is set up for a fight agains Mikkel Kessler for the WBA title as the green fight was an WBA eliminator for that match.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:37 AM   #10
Sever

Okay, i think i'm well enough to post my thoughts on the fight. Nevermind who i hoped was going to win, not once in the two and a bit years that i've been waiting for this fight did i think that Green could get beaten by Mundine. The worst case scenario i pictured: Mundine loses and STILL won't shut up!

I don't know what this is going to do for Green's career. He trained bloody hard for that night and lost it due to, dare i say, Mundine's strategy. Green should've abandoned his body blows after the fourth round when it became clear that they weren't doing much damage. By the eighth, Green was becoming quite frustrated at throwing punches and hitting nothing but leather or air, and all the while, the fewer punches thrown by Mundine found their mark more often than not. By the twelth, i was hoping for a last minute blitz attempt similar to Green's last fight with Beyer, but it didn't happen. Mundine quite comfortably won rounds 3 to 12.

Funny bits: IMO, they couldn't have picked a better ref if they tried! A big Pommy geeza who, in the first minute of the first round called a "time out" (i've never seen that in boxing) and let 'em both know who the boss was. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] In the nineth, or thereabouts, a fight broke out in the crowd and the ringside cameraman spent half a round with his camera pointed into the crowd. Given the nature of the event, i'm surprised there wasn't a riot.

*Edit: Hopes for Green now? If he wants a rematch, he's going to have to go back to the drawing board and start fresh. It was clear that Green had a strategy (he was SOLID in round 1...) but he didn't have the flexibility to change that strategy once it became clear it wasn't working.

Mundine has earned his rematch with Kessler. The only way Green will get a rematch soon (like, before he retires) is if Mundine wins against Kessler (not likely, but we'll see) and offers Green a shot.

Interesting tidbits: It was the biggest fight in Australia's history! 1 in every 20 people placed a bet. One of my friends is down 300. And another is up by 2000 (we'll never hear the end of it).

[ 05-18-2006, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Sever ]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo